January Sales

D

DrClaw

So with christmas nearly upon us it means the Jan sales are also on their way... What is everyones opinions on this year with all this talk of the sales already being here etc?
Do you think have we are in the 'zone' price wise or is the best yet to come?

So with christmas nearly upon us it means the Jan sales are also on their way... What is everyones opinions on this year with all this talk of the sales already being here etc?
Do you think have we are in the 'zone' price wise or is the best yet to come?
I don't know how many times this question has been asked in the last month but essentially the prices of models is already very competitive and will reduce as time goes by naturally, not just because its Xmas. The only things that you'll see discounted specifically in seasonal sales will be end-of-line models, display models etc and anything else they can't shift.

i think you may see further reductions on the older models out there that need clearing from the shelves, but i think the big bargains may be few and far between. maybe the odd ex-display bargain may be had

Toshiba seem to be carrying the 66 models on in thier current range so i can't see them being reduced much more. Panasonic's lxd60 models still await a replacement so i'd guess pretty much the same with those. sony's seem to be pretty hard to come by due to low stocks nationwide and although the new models are coming through now, there dont seem to be a lot of the current range about to clear.

in the store i retail in, we've hardly got any discount at all lined up for some of the popular models

with prices falling quickly this year already i can't see any massive bargains coming next month...

you gotta admit, we've (the consumer) got it pretty good already at the moment, although i hope im wrong!

i think you may see further reductions on the older models out there that need clearing from the shelves.

Toshiba seem to be carrying the 66 models on in thier current range so i can't see them being reduced much more. Panasonic's lxd60 models still await a replacement so i'd guess pretty much the same with those.

in the store i retail in, we've hardly got any discount at all lined up for some of the popular models. apart from a few sonys, jvc's and philips we have to clear, we've hardly any juicy discounts at all.

with prices falling quickly this year already i can't see any massive bargains coming next month...

you gotta admit, we've (the consumer) got it pretty good already at the moment.

I disagree. A grand for a new TV which will be improved upon within the next year and will probably be much better at an equal price is harsh for the consumer. At the moment we have 720p at an 'ok' price. In the next two years it'll be 1080p at an ok price with greater connectivity etc. The consumer's products are becoming old very quickly in the LCD TV market imo.

I disagree. A grand for a new TV which will be improved upon within the next year and will probably be much better at an equal price is harsh for the consumer. At the moment we have 720p at an 'ok' price. In the next two years it'll be 1080p at an ok price with greater connectivity etc. The consumer's products are becoming old very quickly in the LCD TV market imo.

true... but, seeing as you can pick up a decent badged 32' lcd for about £500-550 at the mo, i would consider that a pretty fair price for what you get. granted if you want a new model with all the trimmings your talking a thousand quid. but prices in the sector have always performed in this way.

i think with the sale's in mind nothing majors gonna happen, but i can see the prices falling further mid next year

Yeah the prices fall all the time now. New models are being introduced all the time. With old CRTs you basically had the same basic tech but with bells and whistles. Not so anymore.

Well with a bit of research, good luck and currys coupons I got my Panny 32" 600 for £798. Starting price for this TV was £1500. Forget sale prices, go coupon hunting ! and buy through a cash back co-operative.

Yeah the prices fall all the time now. New models are being introduced all the time. With old CRTs you basically had the same basic tech but with bells and whistles. Not so anymore.

i think its gonna only get worse in that respect. with tech moving so quickly now how long before 1080p becomes old hat?

not long

SORRY! a bit off topic

First up - Empire Direct, Derby
As advertised in the Express free paper, page 4
Sale starts Boxing Day 9.30am
Derby Doorbusters - only available at the Derby Electrical Warehouse - typically one only - first come first served, one item per household

Toshiba 32WLT66 £549
Luxor 3711 £549
LG 37LC2RA £599
LG 42PC1D £699
Panasonic TH42PX60PED £799
Sony KDL32V20Q0U £899
Samsung LE46N73BDX £1499
Toshiba 47WLT66 £1499
Sony KDL46W2000U £1999
Pioneer PDP507XD-T1BU £2099

Regular sale prices (i.e. not in the doorbusters section)
Samsung LE26R74BDX £499.99
Sanyo CE32LDG £549.99
Sharp LC32GD8E £569.99
Samsung LE32R74BDX £599.99
Luxor 3711 £599.99
LG 37LC2D £699.99
Philips 37PF5521D £799.99
LG 42PC1D £799.99
Panasonic TH42PX60CAB £999.99
Sony KDL40S2030U £1099.99
LG 50PC1D £1399.99
Panasonic TH50PX60PED £1499.99

Second, from the same paper, the Sony Centre

Sony Sale prices - Free 5 Year Warranty on all Bravias
Sony KDL 46S2000 + Free RDR-GX120 £1649.99
KD-55A20S11 + Free RDR-HXD560 £1999.99
KDL-46V2000 £1799.99
KDL-32S2030 £799.99
KDL-32S2510 + Free RDR-GX120 or stand £1099.99
KDL-40V2500 + Free RDR-GX120 £1799.99
KDL-40X2000 £2199.99

Do all the Empire stores have Doorbusters sales ?

If so, anyone have the Bradford listing ?

Damn right us consumers get robbed - I spent ages watching the prices of my Samsung and bought it 3 months ago for £750 - Now it's £600.

I am in the same boat. Bought a Sharp LC32GD8E for £693 online from Comet 3 months ago (was £799 in the shops). A cracking price at the time, especially as it went back up to £742 two weeks after delivery. Now £575 on-line is commonplace. A cross we all have to bear I'm afraid.

I don't know how many times this question has been asked in the last month but essentially the prices of models is already very competitive and will reduce as time goes by naturally, not just because its Xmas. The only things that you'll see discounted specifically in seasonal sales will be end-of-line models, display models etc and anything else they can't shift.

totally DISAGREE, prices will drop, that is the market thet operate in, also new models due by the summer force the issue IMHO:)

totally DISAGREE, prices will drop, that is the market thet operate in, also new models due by the summer force the issue IMHO:)
Did you not bother to read my post, I said "the prices of models is already very competitive and will reduce as time goes by naturally". :nono:

In other words prices do drop but because of market forces rather than just because its Xmas.

Damn right us consumers get robbed - I spent ages watching the prices of my Samsung and bought it 3 months ago for £750 - Now it's £600.

Assuming you were not held up and forced to buy you were not robbed. All markets for rapidly developing technologies exhibit reducing prices. Buy a PC today and you can bank on a similar spec being 20% cheaper in a few months. Manufacturers and retailers are in business to make profits so will price products to maximise their return - electronics are rarely in a cost plus market, products are priced at what the market will bear.

Early adopters pay a higher proportion of the research and development costs, leaving it later in the product cycle to buy you get more for your money but miss out on the latest developments.

The other option is to wait until prices stabilise but that can take 20 years -take VCRs for an example- and you have no toys to enjoy.

Its not nice to see your pride and joy being sold at a lower price a few months after you bought it but that's life.

I bought a Sammy LE32R73BD from currys (using codes) for £611 - the instore price was £799, with a 'saving' of £200 off the list price of £999.

Noticed on Monday that the instore price has gone UP to £849, with a 'saving' of £150 off the list price!!!

yes a few weeks back currys prices jumped upwards....obviously in preperation for the 'sales'.

imo ignore the 'sales' decide how much you want to spend, what you want for your money and wait untill you see your 'bargain' and enjoy your new set. Buying something because it is reduced in the expectation youre doing well is just no longer possible .... you can always do beeter online or with vouchers.

Prices do go up just before the 'sales', I have noticed this in lots of places.
At the moment Empire Direct are giving 3 yr guarantee with all their products over £200, I'll bet this won't happen in the 'sale'.

Sometimes though you just have to buy things and go for the best price at the time. Our old tv died so we had to replace it, we couldn't wait for new technology or the sales.

There will always be something better or cheaper, I think you have to buy one then stop looking:rolleyes:

I hate to think how may thousands we have lost on cars over the years so a couple of hundred on a tv is not really a problem.

Did you not bother to read my post, I said "the prices of models is already very competitive and will reduce as time goes by naturally". :nono:

In other words prices do drop but because of market forces rather than just because its Xmas.

fair enough, i was really reffering to this part you stated

The only things that you'll see discounted specifically in seasonal sales will be end-of-line models,''

I think the whole lot will be discounted, for example Sony centres x series Jan price drops:thumbsup: good for us all

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom