KEF PSW 2000 repair time

Qublai

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All,

Finally got around to sending the sub off to sunny Kent for repair.

Does anyone know what the likely turnaround time is going to be?

Will I be without LF's over the festive period?

Cheers,

Q

Update:

Got the sub back yesterday via Business Post.

Repaired, with new capacitors and other new bits on the circuit board.

I made KEF aware of the online info concerning reliability issues with the PSW2000 and asked them to contact me for payment, if necessary.

To their credit they have repaired free of charge.

They have sweetened the sour taste in my mouth concerning the ongoing problems with this sub.

Now in two minds whether to Ebay it and get a BK or keep it for the time being.

Anyway, it's good to know that some Companies value their customers.

:thumbsup: to KEF

FYI mine's approaching 4 years old now.

Apart from your address did you include any other other information. I forgot to ask the when I phoned KEF earlier.

I be giving them my address, a copy of the original receipt and a £50 cheque or should I wait until I received an invoice

cheers

I gave them my address and phone number and asked them to contact me for card details. The sub was returned without them contacting me and included a zero cost invoice. :thumbsup:

I gave them my address and phone number and asked them to contact me for card details. The sub was returned without them contacting me and included a zero cost invoice. :thumbsup:

Indeed I phone them again earlier this morning and was told that they will contact me for payment. Cross finger it will be free...:clap:

Will post mine tomorrow

sent mine in too to get rid of hum.
expected a £50 bill for the service and upgraded parts.
turns out the board was burnt out, so Kef offered a full replacement.
And as I have had the sub for 'about 5 years' it was covered by the old warranty terms.
Free of charge :thumbsup:
Took less than a week :thumbsup:
Kef wins customer service award :thumbsup:

My Kef PSW2000 has stopped working on a few occasions(no sound) only to start up again and work perfectly until the next time.At all times the sub has power i.e. green light working , but sound vanishes.The interconnect works ok when connected to other equipment and I'm reasonably sure it's not the amp.Any ideas what's wrong and would it be a simple repair.It's just less than 5 years old but unfortunately I never registered it with Kef when I bought it and I can't find my purchase receipt.
Thanks

My Kef PSW2000 has stopped working on a few occasions(no sound) only to start up again and work perfectly until the next time.At all times the sub has power i.e. green light working , but sound vanishes.The interconnect works ok when connected to other equipment and I'm reasonably sure it's not the amp.Any ideas what's wrong and would it be a simple repair.It's just less than 5 years old but unfortunately I never registered it with Kef when I bought it and I can't find my purchase receipt.
Thanks

Maybe a sinple capacitor is on its last leg...

I didn't give them any proof of purshase when I sent mine over. They can track the serial number pretty easily I believe and will recognise genuine KEF product.

If you phone the service department they will give you some info on how to test or eventual action to do. They are pretty friendly people.

And as I have had the sub for 'about 5 years' it was covered by the old warranty terms.

It's just less than 5 years old but unfortunately I never registered it with Kef when I bought it and I can't find my purchase receipt.

It is worth pointing out here that the warranty on Kef subwoofers is only one year and not five as is being assumed by some here. The 5 year warranty only applies to Kef's passive speakers. The subwoofers are active speakers and as such only carry a one year warranty.

Has anyone got the CS phone number? I've been on their website and all I can do is send an email.

MY PSW2000 is 'humming' and I need to get it sorted. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

It is worth pointing out here that the warranty on Kef subwoofers is only one year and not five as is being assumed by some

Maybe so but as its a common fault they are fixing these out of warranty ,and rightly so.

Maybe so but as its a common fault they are fixing these out of warranty ,and rightly so.

Hi Bob

Can you point me in the right direction for a telephone number for KEF?

See post above

Thanks

Has anyone got the CS phone number? I've been on their website and all I can do is send an email.

MY PSW2000 is 'humming' and I need to get it sorted. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

The number I used: 01622672261 and ask for service department.

Thanks gzed.

I rang them and spoke to a service guy. He said it may be a ground loop and suggested running a piece of wire from a bit of bare metal on the back of the sub to the amp, to earth it. I tried this and while the hum is quieter, it is still there. Phoned back but they are now closed.

I have my input level turned about 3/4 of the way round. Is this about right? i.e. at about 2 o'clock on a clock face.

Thanks

Thanks gzed.

I rang them and spoke to a service guy. He said it may be a ground loop and suggested running a piece of wire from a bit of bare metal on the back of the sub to the amp, to earth it. I tried this and while the hum is quieter, it is still there. Phoned back but they are now closed.

I have my input level turned about 3/4 of the way round. Is this about right? i.e. at about 2 o'clock on a clock face.

Thanks

My input level is about 1/2 way through. It all depends how you like it.

3/4 seems quite high to me but it is relative to the output from the amp try turning the sub down and the gain up on the amp .
Did you set it up by ear or meter?

Set up by ear, Bob. So I have input level at about 1/2 - 3/4 and I have the crossover frequency and phase adjust in the middle. i.e. the dot on the knob is at the top.

I think I know what the crossover frequency is, where the sw takes over the bass levels from the speakers?? I don't know what phase adjust is though :confused:

My amp is a Denon 2802, and the other 5 speakers are the Kef 2005 eggs. Your advice is greatly appreciated :smashin:

Turn the crossover to max or off ,you should use your amp to control the sub's crossover.
Turn the phase to zero for a start off, you can alter this later if you need too,phase alters the speakers cone movement ,ideally all the speakers should be in phase.if you get someone to gradually move the knob to see if you can hear a difference in the sound.
Now to your hum, is this loud? it could be a ground loop but because you have it set so high it could just picking it up from your lead, changing to a better lead could get rid of it .

Turn the crossover to max or off ,you should use your amp to control the sub's crossover.
Turn the phase to zero for a start off, you can alter this later if you need too,phase alters the speakers cone movement ,ideally all the speakers should be in phase.if you get someone to gradually move the knob to see if you can hear a difference in the sound.
Now to your hum, is this loud? it could be a ground loop but because you have it set so high it could just picking it up from your lead, changing to a better lead could get rid of it .

Hi Bob, I was advised yesterday by the guy at KEF to attach a wire from a bare piece of metal on the back of the sub to the back of my amp (the earthing thingy). I did this and the hum is quieter, but still there. It gets louder when I turn the input level up. I adjusted the level to what I think is right for my ears, and when I turn off the dvd/cd the hum is apparent. If there is a quiet section of film etc. you would still be able to hear the hum. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time in replying previously :thumbsup:

Do you have another lead to try ,if the hum gets better or worse by changing the lead its not an earth loop.

Tried a different lead (L/R audio lead) hum stays the same. Tried removing earth wire whilst still turned on and hum does get louder. Perhaps I should try a thicker earth wire? I'm just using 'stranded' wire at the moment.

Checked crossover levels on the amp and it is set to 80hz. The other options are 100hz or 120hz IIRC.

80hz is fine on the amp just turn it up full on the sub.
A thicker wire shouldn't help but you might as well give it a go,can you plug the sub into a different mains outlet.
I would do a search on the forum for "ground loop" or "hum" and see what you can find.

It is worth pointing out here that the warranty on Kef subwoofers is only one year and not five as is being assumed by some here. The 5 year warranty only applies to Kef's passive speakers. The subwoofers are active speakers and as such only carry a one year warranty.

The Limited Warranty Registration Card I received with my sub and eggs and an extra egg I purchased a few weeks later back in Aug. 2002 clearly states
" This precision engineered KEF product is guaranteed against Faulty Material and/or Workmanship for a period of 5(FIVE) years from the date of original purchase " etc etc .It says nothing about the sub being only for a year.
In fact I received 3 similar cards ....one with the eggs. one with the sub and one with the additional egg.
Anyway, I phoned my supplier today and told him the story about the sound disappearing from the sub.He was able to confirm my purchases in 2002 (I had mislaid the purchase receipt and hadn't bothered to register the warranty card back in 2002)and contacted KEF.He got back on to me a couple of hours later and said that KEF were aware of problems with this sub.and mentioned about a possible faulty capacitor.KEF wanted me to unscrew the amp from the sub frame and send it to them.The cost would be between £50 and£90 ."And what about the 5 year guarantee? " I asked."I forgot to tell them that" he said and apologised."I'll get back to them and contact you first thing tomorrow".And there it rests for the moment.

Very interesting afternoon.
My supplier got back on to me and said "no joy".He said that he asked about the 5 years guarantee and was told that KEF cover the speaker part for 5 but the electronics only for a year and if I read the small print I would see that. I had another quick look at the warranty card ,could not see any small print, was naturally outraged but my supplier gave me the phone no. of James in KEF services(01622672261) and suggested I tackle him myself.
I rehearsed the threats I was going to use i.e. expose KEF to thousands of dedicated a/v enthusiasts (thats us:)) and deliver a knockout blow to KEF's reputation ,girded my loins for battle and rang James .
James is a very pleasant gentleman and after I gave my sob story he patiently repeated what I had previously been told."Why did you include a 5 year warranty then without any mention of electronics?" I demanded."Oh ,you actually have a 5 year card" he asked.I told him I had and he explained that KEF released 5 year cards back in 2002 incorrectly but as I clearly possesed one, KEF would honour it.He asked me to unscrew the amp.plate and post it to KEF and to include a copy of the warranty and it would be repaired free of charge.As I have 3 five year warranty cards I can let KEF have one without any problems:)
Thank you James and KEF and Crustyloafer was correct about the one year for electronics.Alls well that ends well.
Just one little thing.I have unscrewed the amp. plate but it's attached by two wires one black,one red to the cone(I presume).I am having difficulty detaching these wires from the amp. I do not want to pull forcefully and cause damage.Each wire seems to be held by two silver little "barrels". Do these barrels remain with the wires or come with the amp?I hope I make sense.I don't know if its soldered or not.

Very interesting afternoon.
-----
Just one little thing.I have unscrewed the amp. plate but it's attached by two wires one black,one red to the cone(I presume).I am having difficulty detaching these wires from the amp. I do not want to pull forcefully and cause damage.Each wire seems to be held by two silver little "barrels". Do these barrels remain with the wires or come with the amp?I hope I make sense.I don't know if its soldered or not.

It took me about 30min to unplug them. I tried for 29min gave up, went for diner, got back to it after and it came out without problem :rotfl:
They are hard to pull out!!! Be patient

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom