SIGMATEK XS-700 HDMI, USB and DIVX / Xvid

wilco1uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of these, only £45 at pixmania. They sound well specced, look pretty good and considering they have USB seem to be great value.

I'm after a cheapy player to play all my Divx progs. I'd keep my tosh 330 (using component) for normal DVD and run this through HDMI for Divx

Does anyone have any opinions or can suggest tried and trusted alternatives. I like the USB so I can use my external drive rather tahn burning dozens of DVDs,

Thx

I take it thats a "no" then?

Shame as it seems a bargain price now that all the Aldi Tevions are gone.

Perhaps I should bite the bullet anyway?

Why not as its cheap. I've got the Sigmatek 510 and its pretty good for the money. Also have a Pio 696 which is so much nicer but costs three times as much.

It looks good esp. with that USB port. Tell us how you get on, let us know which file types it reads from the ext. disk, *.ISO? DIVX/XVID AVIs etc.

I too was looking at this on pixmania purely for its connectivity. It looks to be spot on. It would certainly remove the need for my xbox being upstairs.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on the build quality of the unit if/when you get it.

Sorry for lack of a reply, I thought that the thread had died.

After scouring all my local Aldi's for a Tevion 8000 without much luck, it looks like I'm getting this one.

However, my better half is going to be buying it for me as an Xmas pressie, so unless I can sneak down stairs in the wee dark hours to try it out (and risk incurring her wrath) I'll have to leave it to Xmas b4 I can get back to you.

I'm a little concerned as it seems that there is a high failure rate with the cheaper DVD players and Pixmania doesn't have the greatest rep for customer service - probably trying to get their own back for Waterloo!!!!;)

Still got the Tevion in York Aldi.

Be intersting to hear peoples comments on the upsclaing ability of this player! IU am lookign for an all round player to tide me over until hd-dvd drops in price.

The usb port is what interests me too as i cant be assed to burn off one episode at a time of divx stuff and i presume this will play back divx from a usb key?

Hi, I have one of these on order from pixmania:

Specs from a french site:

Présentation du lecteur DivX SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Désignation : SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Lecteur DVD / DivX
Date de sortie (approx.) : Juillet 2006

Caractéristiques Techniques Audio et Vidéo du lecteur DivX SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Convertisseurs N/A : Vidéo : 54 MHz / 10 Bits
Audio : 96 kHz / 24 Bits
Détails Audio / Vidéo : Format vidéo compatible 4:3 et 16:9
Compatible PAL / NTSC
Décodeurs Audio : Dolby Digital (AC3) : Oui
DTS : compatible uniquement
Balayage Progressif : Oui (Progressive Scan)

Supports et Formats Compatibles en Lecture du lecteur DivX SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Supports Acceptés : DVD Vidéo • HDCD • CD Audio
CDR • CDRW • DVD+R • DVD-R • DVD+RW • DVD-RW • DVD+R DL • VCD • SVCD
Codecs Audio / Vidéo : DivX 3.x • DivX 4.x • DivX 5.x • DivX 6 • DivX Pro • XviD • 3ivx • MPEG1 • MPEG2
MP3 • WMA • Dolby Digital (AC3) • DTS
Sous-Titres (AVI) : SRT • SUB (Micro DVD)
Containers Audio / Vidéo : AVI • MPEG • DivX 6 • MP3 • WMA

Caractéristiques Techniques Générales du lecteur DivX SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Multizone ou Dézonable : Oui
Lecteur de cartes : Secure Digital (SD) • MultiMedia Card (MMC) • Memory Stick (MS)

Connectique du lecteur DivX SIGMATEK XS-700 Pro
Sorties Vidéo : Péritel RVB • S-Vidéo • HDMI • YUV • Composite

HDMI conversion jusqu'à : 480p / 576p / 720p / 1080i
Sorties Audio : Coaxiale Numérique • Analogique 5.1
Autres Entrées : USB (en façade) 1.1

Port USB permettant de lire des fichiers multimédia à partir de périphériques externes.

Hope this helps, will let you know my opinion when I have it up and running, the attraction to me was HDMI and usb connection for hard drive.
I will be using it with my New 40" sony W series LCD.

Does anyone know what D/A converter is used in the Sigmatek XS 700 ?

I have read very good reviews on the XM400 Pro regards to its sound quality
and I wonder if the XS700 also has the same good sound.
The XM400 can play DVD-Audio and SA_CD but the XS700 can not.
The XM400 has a 24bit/192kHz D/A converter which probably is one of the reasons it can give a good analog sound out.
I would like to have the USB and the memory card option of the XS700 combined with the good sound quality of the XM400. and I do not need the DVD-Audio.

Bengt L

Hi,
Received my Sigmatek from Pixmania, not had chance to play with all the facilities as yet, but my initial opinions are as follows:

Looks and design - three out of ten, the case is not an elegant addition to your componet stack. The ports for the usb and memory card have a grey rubber sinclair spectrum type cover and the actual appearance is a bit tacky.
The CD tray also is extremely flimsy and if you have children or grandchildren I could see it being broken very soon.

I bought it for the HDMI connection and I have to say I can not see any difference in overall quality on my 40" sony compared to my Cambridge Audio and its component output. I was if anything disappointed with the quality out although I am still testing the best resolutions to output. It looks however best to let the sony upscale rather than the Sigmatek.

Not yet got USB hard drive working as my existing cases require two usb connections.

Overall I cannot recommend it at present.

Sorry any more feedback update on it.

I am struggling to make choice between this and Peektoon 6006HDMI.

regards

So is the general consensus that this doesn't upscale very well?

Can it play DIVX from USB?

Thanks.

From what I have read seen so far the answers is big YES

Can it play DIVX from USB?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, still haven't given it much use, not actually used the usb port or memory card reader yet.
I was however pleased with the playback from a wedding photo cd made up of jpegs which it handled better than my other players.
Still prefer to let the Sony W series handle the upscaling on normal dvds as I have noticed some halo-ing if using the high res output from Sigmatek.

I have one of these and the upscaling is very good! Using it with my Sony 50" 3LCD TV. Not had the chance to use the USB port yet.

The Peekton doesn't have USB. I'm ordering the Sigmatek !!

any more views opinions on this player?

Hi to everyone i have one of these players its in my sons room, it upscales very well, 1080i looks good also plays divx etc from mem card remotes a bit nav but does the job all in all no complaints. Also it will upscale to 1080p yet to find discs it will not play.

regards chris

Couple of questions

1) Is it possible to play avi and mp3 files I have stored on an external hard drive?

2) Is it multiregion?

Thanks

I ordered the Sigmatek xs-700 from pixmania and will post my tests when I get it on monday...

I think the xs-700 and the philips dvp5960 are similar and this forum linked below seems to answer many of the questions asked here...

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t301465.html

I'm still looking for possible firmware upgrades for the 700 when it come in... I read somewhere that the Oppo player firmware works just fine...

Any comments?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom