Porcupine Tree DVD

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to let people know that the upcoming Porcupine Tree DVD is available for pre order on their website, with shipment around 13th September :smashin:

Track listing:

DISC ONE

1. Revenant (3.04)
2. Open Car (4.46)
3. Blackest Eyes (4.41)
4. Lazarus (4.06)
5. Hatesong (9.14)
6. Don't Hate Me (8.38)
7. Mother and Child Divided (5.11)
8. Buying New Soul (7.17)
9. So Called Friend (4.55)
10. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here (12.57)
11. Heartattack in a Layby (4.07)
12. Start of Something Beautiful (7.19)
13. Halo (6.42)
14. Sound of Muzak (5.14)
15. Even Less (6.54)
16. Trains (7.18)
17. End Credits (special alternate mix of Mother and Child Divided) (2.05)

DISC TWO

1. Rockpalast TV: Futile (6.29)
2. Rockpalast TV: Radioactive Toy (6.45)
3. Lazarus - promo clip directed by Lasse Hoile
4. Start of Something Beautiful (live film directed by Przemyslaw Vshebor and Lasse Hoile )
5. Halo (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)
6. Mother and Child Divided (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)
7. Gavin Harrison - Cymbal Song film (in stereo and 5.1 audio)
8. Photo Gallery (with exclusive ambient music by RB+SW)

The 5.1 mix was done by Steve Wilson, with the mastering done by the same guy who did In Absentia and Deadwing, so it should sound the biz. Couldn't see any mention of widescreen on the website though.
Phil

It's out. It's here. It's incredible. The end. :thumbsup:

It's showing as being released on 23 October! Where can you get it now?

I ordered mine from the Porcupine Tree website (probably misguidedly given the Amazon price!). Was due to ship yesterday - don't seem to be able to track it but it didn't arrive today.
As soon as I get it I will let everyone know and post a review.

Phil

It was available for pre-order from the Porcupine Tree store (www.burningshed.co.uk) since mid-August, with the promise that it would be shipped earlier than the scheduled European/Worldwide release date. Hence why I and many others have it over a month early. I believe they were shipped on a first-come, first-shipped basis. I don't begrudge paying extra to order from the PT Store as more money goes directly to the band.

I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone who doesn't have it yet, but I can say that the show (audio/video/editing/performances) is right up there with the very best!

b****y hell!

That is how I ordered mine, but not got it yet :mad:

So spill the beans- is it in widescreen??

Thanks
Phil

Now ordered from Amazon at £9.89. I can wait until October, but am now really looking forward to it! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

b****y hell!

That is how I ordered mine, but not got it yet :mad:

So spill the beans- is it in widescreen??

Thanks
Phil

Patience, sir! ;) Have you recieved a shipping confirmation from burningshed?

And yes it is Widescreen and DTS! :devil:

So come on matey - spill the beans!!! What's it like?

It's just a masterclass of recording, filming and musicianship. You really have to see it to believe it. You won't be disappointed! ;)

For anybody who likes PT, I would strongly recommend the new Dream Theater "Score" DVD / CD. It's their 20th Anniversary tour, and I have never heard then play better. The setlist is tremendous, and James LaBrie is at last back on 110% top form. Buy it today! :smashin:

Disc One - Tracklisting:

* The Root Of All Evil
* I Walk Beside You
* Another Won
* Afterlife
* Under A Glass Moon
* Innocence Faded
* Raise The Knife
* The Spirit Carries On
* Six Degrees On Inner Turbulance Parts 1 - 8
* Vacant
* The Answer Lies Within
* Sacrificed Sons
* Octavarium Parts 1 - 5
* Metropolis

Special Features

* 20th Anniversary Documentary
* Octavarium Animation
* Another Day (Tokyo - 1993)
* The Great Debate (Bucharest, Romania - 2002)
* Honor Thy Father (Chicago - 2005)
* Running Time 252 Minutes

Mine arrived today - have just finished watching the first disc. As previously posted you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

Fantastic sound quality (feel the bass) and someone has actually thought about how to film a live concert and present on DVD. :smashin:

The HMV site states '1 disc'. Is there more than one version?

Well, a cursory look and listen shows that this is indeed state of the art! The black and white bits and funny camera angles might take a bit of getting used to, but it sums up perfectly what Porcupine Tree are about. And the bass.....!!

Just a quick query - there is only PCM or DTS? No DD?

Also, it seems that the DTS and PCM links are the wrong way round? ie clicked on DTS and only got stereo, clicked on PCM and got DTS? (this might have been me misinterpreting the way the logo responds to the 'click')

Anyway, looks like 10/10 so far

Phil

Just a quick query - there is only PCM or DTS? No DD?

Also, it seems that the DTS and PCM links are the wrong way round? ie clicked on DTS and only got stereo, clicked on PCM and got DTS? (this might have been me misinterpreting the way the logo responds to the 'click')

Phil

No DD here either and I made the mistake with the PCM/DTS logo's as well. Still, a great DVD :clap:

Definately one of the best sounding DVD's I have heard (produced in DTS by SW himself & as good as any Scheiner mix I have heard?)
As was mentioned the editing is a bit "different" but concentrates on showing you what the band are doing rather than any amazing light show shenanigans - all the band are extremely accomplished musicians - the bass is spectacular but I was most impressed by the drumming - the man's a genius! IMHO ...
If you like rock music - Buy this DVD :lesson:

I can second that - Gavin Harrison is a great drummer

Phil

Just watched Gavin's little solo effort "Cymbal Song" (?)
CLANG - that wasn't a cymbal that was my jaw hitting the floor :eek:
Great extras btw - the three "movies" are fantastic ... Paul ;)

Well I have watched most of it and I won't write a proper review - god, if you know the band you will buy it anyway, and if you don't, well you should haha

Sound quality - 10/10. Only PCM and DTS (and the logos for these are mixed up, at least on my copy). As good as it gets for a rock DVD. The mixing is also interesting. Most music DVDs have the mix 'up front'. The only significant exception in my collection is the Steely Dan one which has an awful lot of rear stuff going on. This one is mainly up front, but with a fair bit of tasteful rear action. And the rears are never dead or full of crowd noise, there is always some subtle music there. Really quite a sublime mix.

Picture - 7/10?? Difficult to say, as I have not watched it on the PJ yet. Seems a bit grainy to me, although that might be intentional. Is in 16.9 widescreen though.

Direction - well, on my first run though I was not too sure, but on seeing it again, this is amazing. If only all music DVDs were given this sort of consideration. Truly phenomenal and totally in keeping with the PT spirit and image the band have presented on the last few albums. 11/10

Track selection - will not comment too much on this as each will have their preferences. There is a greater emphasis on the heavier Deadwing/In Absentia stuff; not too much of the earlier spacey material.
Also, it is quite amazing how similar the tracks sound to the studio versions. I was struck with this when I saw them live on the same tour as this DVD came from. I am not 100% convinced I like this part; I would have preferred a little more variation, but that's just me - most people will be happy.

And - Steve Wilson looks like a Yeti.
The bassist has one of those happy faces which makes you want to hug him!
The drummer is amazing
The guy on keyboards probably uses more samples than actually playing (and could do with a smile every now and then...)

Overall - what can I say - if you like this band at all, this DVD is a no brainer.
If you like any sort of heavy or progressive rock, just buy it.
If you want a music DVD to show off your system - you won't get much better.

Phil

aarrgh.gif
This is killing me! Can't believe I've got to wait till the 23rd October for this, but hey, I'll be saving £7.60 towards another DVD! Got the Flower Kings to look forward to next week, so that should keep me amused waiting for the PT DVD. :D

For anybody who likes PT, I would strongly recommend the new Dream Theater "Score" DVD / CD. It's their 20th Anniversary tour, and I have never heard then play better. The setlist is tremendous, and James LaBrie is at last back on 110% top form. Buy it today! :smashin:

Mine arrived today after takiing an age from Amazons market place for just over a tenner. Just watched it all. Used to think that live DT were only too good at showing off, but on this one got to give em credit they play incredibly, on Octavarium with the orchestra, well there as good as anyone, and could probably play any bands songs.

Mine arrived today after takiing an age from Amazons market place for just over a tenner. Just watched it all. Used to think that live DT were only too good at showing off, but on this one got to give em credit they play incredibly, on Octavarium with the orchestra, well there as good as anyone, and could probably play any bands songs.

As indeed they have. They did a few shows playing whole albums of other bands for the encores. Master Of Puppets, Number Of The Beast, and Dark Side Of The Moon are the ones I know of, and have on CD. Have to admit, they sound quite poor when compared to Score, but I think you would have to go a long way to find a better live performance (musically) from a prog / rock band, than on this DVD. The Spirit Carries On is simply stunning, and I want it played at my funeral!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom