Which 50" plasma?

woodsy69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to sell my car and will have money to get what i've always wanted, a big screen tv. 50" and plasma is about all ive decided on. I will be;

1. For now watching just freeview, but in future connecting to sky hd.

2. Have a normal windows xp pc which i want to connect up to it and switch between using the plasma for tv and using it for my pc based games and browsing as and when i want.

3. Will also be investing in a seperate home cinema sound system to connect to it.

4. Will also want to connect a dvd/hd recorder at some point.

What are the specific things i should be looking for in a plasma tv to fulfill these things and which models would anyone recommend.

Any comments welcome and feel free to speak to me like im stupid when explaining any technical terms.

Cheers,

Cliff

woodsy69 said:
Hi,

I am about to sell my car and will have money to get what i've always wanted, a big screen tv. 50" and plasma is about all ive decided on. I will be;

1. For now watching just freeview, but in future connecting to sky hd.

2. Have a normal windows xp pc which i want to connect up to it and switch between using the plasma for tv and using it for my pc based games and browsing as and when i want.

3. Will also be investing in a seperate home cinema sound system to connect to it.

4. Will also want to connect a dvd/hd recorder at some point.

What are the specific things i should be looking for in a plasma tv to fulfill these things and which models would anyone recommend.

Any comments welcome and feel free to speak to me like im stupid when explaining any technical terms.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi CLiff,

There are a few threads that you should read...

May take a while but may help in your quest..

Firstly the thread's FAQ

Then a couple of debates on the best 50 inch plasma, one here here and here

Things to consider include price, location, how often youwill use it etc etc.

Hope these help

Adrian

get a panel like the Panasonic 50PHD9 as there are no 8's left anywhere as ive tried to get one

I'd like to give more unbiased help and suggest you have a read on here..like Sapper said then go and demo the panels that fall into your price range..Two things when demoing...

1. Make sure you see what you will be watching on it...i.e. don't go and watch a HD loop when you'll be watching SD. Most panels look stunning showing HD.

2. Make sure you buy from a quality supplier and not Comet, Curry's..loads of good quality people on here who know what they are talking about...I bought from Liam @ Progressive AV.

budget would be helpful :thumbsup:

however if you want the best get the Fuji 58 series :smashin:

Hello woodys69

The 'Best' Display products are the ones that do the least amount of damage (processing) to the Input video signal and offer you or your installer the maximum amount of configuration and adjustment to ensure you optimise the Display for each input signal.

Your first choice is PlasmaTV (inc tuner) vs. Plasma Display (no tuner) - for most enthusiasts the Plasma Display is the optimal route; though perversely it costs a bit more money to get what you want to achieve as they often require a few 'accessories' to get everything up and working as required.

Your choice of AV Receiver can be crucial as often they become your main Video and Audio hub with a single Video cable out to a Plasma Display.

In terms of what's available in the 50" Plasma Display market your 'best' options are (arguably :)):

Pioneer PDP-5000EX (1920x1080 pixels) - full HD Resolution - SRP £6K

Fujitsu P50XHA58EB (1365x768 pixels) - HD Ready - SRP £3.8K

Panasonic TH-50PH9 (1366x768 pixels) - HD Ready - approx £3K (New model still to be fully apraised)

Best regards

Joe

Usage would generally be as much pc as standard tv. Probably 8 hours a day or so.

My budget, well im getting 5000 odd for my car and im not saying i want to spend all of it but will prob spend whatever is needed to fulfill my criteria of 50", pc connection.

in regards to the pioneer you reccomended. just a note, that there isnt much 1080p sources going around so how does this screen handle normal sd source and also sky hd ??

as i have been umming and arring over this screen but am not quite convinced. if ya get this screen, would it be wise to also get a processor like the lumagen or something ?

i also hear panasonic are releasing a 1080p screen a bit nearer chirstmas, so maybe worth a wait to see how good there screen is, as there screens are also a bit more cheaper than the pioneers.

Hello both

woodsy69 - you will have to be aware of the potential pitfalls of using a Plasma Display as a PC monitor for up to eight hours a day.

chrisuk01 - all of the screens listed will look excellent when fed with an HD source.

The Fujitsu does the best of the three with SD sources and all three benefit from the inclusion of a Lumagen or DVDO Video Processor.

The Panasonic 50" 1920x1080 pixel array is due around Nov 06 - though no pricing info as yet.

It looks like Pioneer GB may not be shipping any more of the PDP-5000EX into the UK so by the time the Panasonic 1080p display arrives it may not be possible to do a head to head as there are only a few of the PDP-5000EX around!!!

Best regards

Joe

Hi Joe, I just ordered one of the 5000ex's and it is allegedly going to be delivered the middle of next week, I went for it mainly because of the 1920 x 1080 Pixel resolution, I dont have a tremendous lnowledge of plasma but have gone by my computer experience and the tech spec.
I have Sky HD being installed 9/9/06 so cant wait for it all to arrive.
If Pioneer are going to stop importing the 5000ex maybe I will become a member of a very exclusive owners club ?

If you are not getting SKY HD for a while you might consider getting a 42" SD panel eg the Panasonic 6/7/8 series. They can be had for about £500-600 second hand and will get you 'into' this business. You might feel that your choice of 50" HD plasma was better-informed when you get round to it. Just a thought...

Joe Fernand said:
It looks like Pioneer GB may not be shipping any more of the PDP-5000EX into the UK so by the time the Panasonic 1080p display arrives it may not be possible to do a head to head as there are only a few of the PDP-5000EX around!!!

Best regards

Joe

Who told you that, true they are few on the ground at the moment, but stopping anymore, not true at all.

Hello Geezer

If your in the Trade and have better info than me then I bow to your better knowledge.

Best regards

Joe

PS If your in the Trade your signature needs updating!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom