The Brogans

Brogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd show everyone what I've been up to for the last week or so.

This is what I had to work with:

01rt4.jpg

lounge2an4.jpg

lounge1si9.jpg

And this is what it will eventually look like:

designoo4.jpg

I started the cable installation last Tuesday evening around 2100, stopped at 0200, started again Wednesday morning at 0900 and finished around 1500 so in reality it took less than 1 day which was a lot less than I had expected.

02vg9.jpg

03al0.jpg

04lz4.jpg

05av3.jpg

06jq5.jpg

07du0.jpg

09kn1.jpg

10cp5.jpg

The surround speaker cables are hanging down through the downlight holes as I haven't yet finalised the position of the surround and back speakers, which are going to be ceiling mounted.
When I do small holes will be drilled in the ceiling and the cables will be routed there.

08px6.jpg

This is what it looked like after paint:

13ou7.jpg

Prior to the plasma going back up it was blinged up with 3 sets (10 strips) of Trettioen blue LED light packs from IKEA.

11dz2.jpg

12ar5.jpg

And after the plasma was put back on the wall:

14ws5.jpg

The plasma is mounted so the center of the screen is 100cm from the floor. I have always mounted my plasmas at this height as it makes for perfect viewing when sat on the sofa.

The keen eyed amongst you may have noticed the double gang brush faceplate which does a great job of tidying up the cable exit/entry hole.

This was last Friday but apparently it was the wife's birthday and I had to take her out or something...:rolleyes: ;) so the work was put on hold until the following day.

--

The equipment starts to go into place:

15yc2.jpg

The speakers arrived last week.
They are the Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 package with an extra pair of Ones for the surround back speakers:

The rest of the kit is: Pioneer 504HDE, Pioneer AX5i-S, Pioneer 868AVi and Sky+.
All of the Pioneer kit will probably be replaced soon with the 5000EX plasma, 989AVi-S DVD player and a new amp which I haven't yet decided on.
Ideally I'd like to install a projector but the room is not suited to it unless I install blackout blinds which we're still considering.

I have already made provision for a projector in the original design and installation.
There is enough room for a 3m wide screen which will come down in front of the plasma giving an image of 2.85m x 1.6m.

Finished! It's been a tiring few days but worth it.

16cq8.jpg

17jr3.jpg

18kz9.jpg

19kt9.jpg

I still have to make ceiling brackets for the surround and rear speakers as most of the off-the-shelf ones require drilling into the cabinet.
I have designed some which screw into the same screw holes as the binding post plate so there will be no damage at all to the cabinet.
Luckily my brother works for Airbus and he has managed to source a sheet of titanium for me so hopefully I can fabricate the brackets in the coming week.
As soon as they’re done I’ll post pic’s of the surround speakers in place.

Now all we'll need is a sofa. Roll on October…:D

Insanely jealous, hell of a view you have there, and I dread to think how much it set you back !!

The install's looking great, good workmanship, , nice airy open plan, love it :thumbsup:

KH

EDIT - just noticed the other pics you posted, quite frankly it looks stunning !!

Excellent install :thumbsup: . It must be a hard choice though, do i admire the view or do i watch the Plasma :cool:

inzaman said:
Excellent install :thumbsup:
Thanks.
It must be a hard choice though, do i admire the view or do i watch the Plasma :cool:
The first thing that hits you when you walk in the lounge is the view.
For the first few months we used to just sit there day and night just watching how the view changes with the time of day.
Sunsets are particularly impressive as can be seen by this shot I took last year from the apartment we were renting next door:

sunsetbe3.jpg

Now we don't even notice it and it's only when we have guests that we're reminded just how good it is.

EDIT: Latest photos have been posted below to avoid the need to trawl through the whole thread.

newsofa2ib9.jpg

newsofa3zk1.jpg

coffeetable01sm8.jpg

diningtable1kk0.jpg

elite1gv8.jpg

Dynaudio Desire said:
Looks like I have got a new wallpaper for my desktop! :thumbsup:
That's what I'm using :smashin:
The quality is not as good on that one as it's been compressed - I'll upload the originals so you can download them and use those instead.

Brogan said:
That's what I'm using :smashin:
The quality is not as good on that one as it's been compressed - I'll upload the originals so you can download them and use those instead.
Nice one mate! Thnaks a bunch, becuase I have got a 20" widescreen monitor so I need as many pixels as I can get!!

you lucky barsteward :D

that view is awesome, and the room layout is perfect for an install.

im a tad jealous :rotfl:

its such a big room though, that i have to say.......

where's the PJ :eek: the room is crying out for one with the screen hidden in the ceiling :thumbsup:

[edit] sorry mate, just read the comments on the PJ :oops:

Dynaudio Desire said:
Nice one mate! Thnaks a bunch, becuase I have got a 20" widescreen monitor so I need as many pixels as I can get!!
I've uploaded some shots here: [now deleted]
The usual copyright rules apply...:D

rhino2k said:
you lucky barsteward :D

and the room layout is perfect for an install.
Not quite - there's not quite enough depth or width so the rears and surrounds are a bit closer than I'd like.

its such a big room though, that i have to say.......

where's the PJ :eek: the room is crying out for one with the screen hidden in the ceiling :thumbsup:
As I mentioned in the original posts - the problem is light pollution so we'd need blackout blinds which we're considering.
Also, it wouldn't be that easy to install the screen in the ceiling due to all the metal stud framing which supports the plasterboard.
It's a definite possibility though so watch this space...:D

Stunned, green (envy), gobsmackingly beautifut set up......... superb.......choke choke ah! words fail me, I just bet you have a 911 Turbo in the garage and go out for dinner with tall blond amazons, one day all home cinemas will look like this. Nice one......:D

Dynaudio Desire said:
I wonder how long it will be till the left speaker and sub will be a lighter colour than the rest of the speakers. :D
Blinds are on order and are being fitted next week :)

Ambient Fish said:
Stunned, green (envy), gobsmackingly beautifut set up......... superb.......choke choke ah! words fail me, I just bet you have a 911 Turbo in the garage and go out for dinner with tall blond amazons, one day all home cinemas will look like this. Nice one......:D

As for the car - it's public transport all the way for us - no point in owning a car when you live 100m from a DLR station.

And I don't think a 5'2" brunette qualifies for the other...:D

Wow a hugely impressive setup. End result is very tidy and clean, I love it. As for the view...amazing.

That is soooooooooooooo nice!

I am very jealous!

As people have said amazing View! And a very nice clean install! - It is begging for a screen in the ceiling though! Just to come down nicely and cover the Plasma! - Shame you would need to cover up the view though :).

Well done!

Chris

Someone's a little bit lucky aren't they!!!

HI very,very nice:thumbsup:

Rab.

Thanks everyone :smashin:

I should perhaps explain that the camera doesn't do the night shots any justice.
The LED backlighting is nowhere near as bright as that, or that colour.
Also, the wall lights are much more subdued - they're only 40 watt G9 bulbs.

I'll take some more shots later this week with a shorter exposure time to see if I can get a more realistic representation.

very nice my old mate, I take it this means you're staying in London now instead of emigrating?

Like the others I'm not jealous at all :suicide: :rotfl:

Mylo said:
very nice my old mate, I take it this means you're staying in London now instead of emigrating?
Thanks chap. :smashin:
Yes, after years of umming and ahhing and selling the house in Chelmsford (and everything in it), the wife changed her mind and decided she wanted to stay in the UK after all :rolleyes:
So, we've just bought this place and are in the process of furnishing it....again....

Still, at least it gives me a good excuse to upgrade :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom