Pictures of Hitachi PJ-TX200 in action

Vladman

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, finally had a chance to take a couple of photos of the Hitachi in action, and also experimented with some different settings, with interesting results. The DVD player (and recorder) is Panasonic DMR-E65, and it's connected to the Hitachi using a good quality component lead.

I created a custom setting for the Hitachi (I called it CKL), using the settings recommended at http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/200512/HitachiTX200/index.htm. I used his RGB, Gamma, iris and sharpness settings, all on Auto1, brightness 0, contrast +7. I'm aware his settings might not be the best for me, as I don't have a proper screen (just an Ikea blind!), but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, it was fun! :)

The pictures have just been cropped and resized, and the camera (Olympus C-770UZ - 4 megapixel) has been positioned just above my viewing position and set to custom white balance prior to taking the pictures, with timer, to avoid shaking. I only really took the last picture to check I've got the focus right, as it's kind of hard to tell, when standing 3m from the picture, in a dark room! It is a 1024x768 crop from about 5-6 times zoomed-in picture (and it hasn't been altered in size, so it's 1:1 as my camera has taken it). The pixel grid on it is obviously very noticable (the more noticable it is, the better the focus) because of the zoom used, but as you can see on the other pictures, this is not an issue from normal viewing distance.

I personally like the "CKL" settings the best, even though, interestingly, I don't think they look the best on these pictures. Cinema-High is too contrasty and warm for me, and Cinema-Low is pretty good, just a tad washed out maybe...

I can't decide whether I like the PJ doing the progressive scanning more, or the DVD-player. I think the PJ might be doing it a tad better (judging from these pictures)! The difference between the interlaced and progressive (either one) is very obvious though.

You do realise you've thrown the gauntlet down to anibap don't you? :D

Top pics m8. Some of the best I've seen. Incredible detail, just like my TX100. :D

Hi,

Nice piccies mate.

I am seriously considering buying this PJ however I need to be sure that it can project a 10 foot wide image from approx 18-20 feet away!

Is that possible from this PJ?

how can you turn the progressive scan off on you pj? i thought all pj's MUST to convert it to progressive as its LCD?

(unless thats a dlp model, if so thats really bad screen door lol)

7up4it said:
Hi,

Nice piccies mate.

I am seriously considering buying this PJ however I need to be sure that it can project a 10 foot wide image from approx 18-20 feet away!

Sorry ,you have run out of excuses not to buy the TX200!

You will get a 16:9 picture ten feet wide at a distance of 13feet min to 21feet max depending on zoom setting.

I have actually projected onto a 12ft by 9ft screen at the village hall nearby. Adequate illumination and excellent results providing good blackout available.

7up4it said:
Hi,

Nice piccies mate.

Hi,

Yes, I have the TX200 projecting a 10ft wide (140" diagonal) image from about 19-20 feet away using a touch of zoom.

Sean.

I really like those CKL setings..have to try them out...cheers.

Hi upgradeitis,

Do you see a drop in image quality from the Hitachi when going 10 foot or over with the screen size?

7up4it said:
Hi upgradeitis,

Do you see a drop in image quality from the Hitachi when going 10 foot or over with the screen size?

Hi there 7up4it,

In my opinion, any slight loss of contrast or brightness I may get by going that large is, subjectively, more than compensated for by the visual "WOW factor" bang for the buck increase of the massive picture. I suppose if I had a light meter, there would be a difference between the 10ft wide image and say a 6ft wide image, but just by eyeball, I or other people who have watched it cannot really see any difference.

FYI, PQ wise, HD stuff is just simply fantastic, however, SD is very noticeably inferior at that size, so you might want to take that into consideration if you watch a lot of standard def DVD's for example. HD is just so much better at this size that I now almost exclusively use the Hitachi for displaying HD only.

Sean.

Cheers for that Sean,

What do you use to play your HD, Sky?

Cheers

John

John,

I am looking to get telewest tvdrive in soon, but at the moment, my HD stuff is basically downloaded off the net, played from a PC.

You wont go wrong with the TX200, I upgraded from a sanyo z2 which was great on an ikea tupplar blackout blind (6.5 ft wide), but didnt really cut it on the 10ft wide screen. The superior contrast on the Hitachi made the jump to a bigger screen a breeze.

Cheers,

Sean.

You should take that flower pot away mate, it's blocking the view :D

Seriously, these are excellent shots. I think I prefer the PJ doing the scaling.

The flower pot doesn't normally live there! If you look carefully, it was removed after the first couple of pictures. :)

For those lazy to look, the CKL settings (to get as close to D65 tracking - I confess I actually have no idea what this means, I presume some officially accepted reference colour standard - would those more knowledgeable amongst us be so kind as to enlighten us?):

Color Temp:

Use 7500K as reference, then set:

Low RGB: +1, +2, +3
Mid RGB: -4, +2, 0
High RGB: 0, +1, -5

Gamma:

Use standard as reference, then set:

1: +1
2: +2
3: +3
4: +2
5: 0
6: -3
7: -3
8: -4
9:-3

Black: Auto1

Iris: 3

Sharpness: 5

Happy tweaking! :hiya:

Found this on D65 tracking:

Professional D65 standard gray scale reproduction

With gray scale color tracking set to "D65" standard, source media can be faithfully reproduced with the same color gradations intended by the creator of the program. All color gradations are natural and consistent, including absolute black and absolute white so you'll enjoy superb, visually accurate reproduction of video, television, and DVD images. Even in dark scenes, subtle gradation differences can be clearly distinguished.

Tweaked mine to the CLK setting, huge improvement over my THX setting.

Cheers for the info:thumbsup:

PJTX100 said:
You do realise you've thrown the gauntlet down to anibap don't you? :D

Top pics m8. Some of the best I've seen. Incredible detail, just like my TX100. :D

Hmmmmm:rolleyes: Good screenshots:thumbsup: . Definitely one of the best seen in this forum on PJTX200. Blacks are better in a dlp though:smashin: .

I am not fully sure what i am asking:confused: but wanted to know if there is any way to see a DVD image as native as 480p or 576p on a 720p PJ. Is there any way to see the image with with only the required pixel without any scaling? if so how does it look against a upscaled image?

anibap said:
Hmmmmm:rolleyes: Good screenshots:thumbsup: . Definitely one of the best seen in this forum on PJTX200. Blacks are better in a dlp though:smashin: .

Thanks. :)

anibap said:
I am not fully sure what i am asking:confused: but wanted to know if there is any way to see a DVD image as native as 480p or 576p on a 720p PJ. Is there any way to see the image with with only the required pixel without any scaling? if so how does it look against a upscaled image?

Not sure, an interesting question, but I doubt it's possible, never heard about anyone acheiving this.

anibap said:
I am not fully sure what i am asking, but wanted to know if there is any way to see a DVD image as native as 480p or 576p on a 720p PJ. Is there any way to see the image with with only the required pixel without any scaling? if so how does it look against a upscaled image?

I expect you can use a projector in place of a computer monitor and play a DVD in a variety of sizes - including 'fit to screen' and 'actual pixels'. That should do the job.

Just set mine up with Grey Wolf II screen

Can I just ask - if I set settings as above is it just a case then of calibrating brightness etc and its pretty much "as good as it gets" ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom