should i cancel order of philips 42PF7621D/10

K

Korben Dallas

i have just purchased the 42PF7621D/10 and it is getting delivered on monday. But already having reservations about it. I cannot find any info on this. tried google search and philips own website. I was told it had component video but according to comets website it says it doesnt. Also told it could display a 1080i signal but resolution is 1366x768 . So does that mean it will have to downscale for sky hd and say blu ray / hd dvd. It had a list of resolutions on the back and 1080i was definately one of them . Is tis a case of converting the signal to a lower resolution .

I was told that there was no motion blurring on the set . Now I find the newest sets will have something called clear Lcd. to stop motion blurring.
He assured me this set was just in today and was the bargain of a life time.
Think I was done over. I can cancel it tommorow as I dont really want to pay a large amount for a crap tv.

Where did you buy it?

It looks like this could be a European set as it throws out a french website that states:

Caractéristiques techniques - Téléviseur LCD 16/9 HD-Ready - TNT Intégrée - 42'' - 107 cm - 42PF7621D
Diagonale en pouces / cm : 42/107
Format : 16/9
Résolution : 1366 x 768 WXGA
Luminosité : 550 cd/m2
Ratio de contraste : 800 :1
Angle de vision : 176°(H/V)
Nombre de couleurs : NC
# Fonction d'amélioration de l'image : Pixel Plus 2
# Digital Natural Motion
# Active Control
# Progressive Scan

Fréquence de balayage : N.C
Temps de réponse : 8 ms
Tuner : PAL/SECAM et DVB-T (TNT)
Télétexte : Oui
Audio : 2 x 15 W RMS
# Connectique générale : 2 péritels
# 2 Entrées HDMI
# 1 Entrée composante YUV
# 1 Entrée S-Vidéo
# 1 Entrée composite
# 1 Entrée antenne
# 1 Entrée SPDIF coaxiale
# 1 Entrée PC-VGA
# 1 Sortie SPDIF coaxiale
# 1 Sortie casque

# Connectique en façade / côté : 1 Entrée S-Vidéo
# 1 Entrée composite
# 1 Entrée audio stéréo RCA
# 1 Sortie casque

Prise casque : Oui
Slot carte mémoire : Non
Dimensions : 1236 x 734x 280 mm (base comprise)
Poids : 31,5 kg
Garantie : 1 an
Télécommande : Oui
Consommation en fonctionnement / en veille : 163 W/ 1,4 W

Which doesn't look too shoddy, 2 HDMI's, component, digital audio out, PC in, decent response time etc.

It depends how much you paid I guess, though your right there is very little UK info about this set.

Got it from comet. According to the salesman it was a brand new set and only came in that morning.

Set was about £1800 plus the stand and extended warranty it all came to just under £2300.

It comes with a free 5" portable lcd tv and a dvd recorder

Korben Dallas said:
Got it from comet. According to the salesman it was a brand new set and only came in that morning.

Set was about £1800 plus the stand and extended warranty it all came to just under £2300.

It comes with a free 5" portable lcd tv and a dvd recorder

Ouch thats a lot of cash. There are other sets that will probably be better value for money to be honest but as I dont know your reasons for buying that set I cant give suitable alternatives. However I very much doubt it will be crap, but without any information nobody will be able to tell you if its any better than cheaper alternatives.

If your not happy with it then cancel, but it will certainly have component output and will display 1080i like other 1368 sets do, by scaling down to its native resolution. 2 HDMI's are also a bonus.

Thats a lot of cash for a LCD though so make sure your happy with it. Also make sure that the warranty costs are no more than you can get from http://www.domgen.com/ as comets after sales service will be far worse than those guys and you will be paying more possibley.

EDIT - Actually £1800 for a 42" LCD isn't bad, its the stand and warranty that makes it look a lot.

It's also worth noting that a 720 progressive signal looks much better than a 1080 interlaced signal anyway. I really don't like 1080i and wouldn't go higher than 720p unless the set could cope with 1080p.

Also I have checked out Comets website for facts before. And the qualities they list and give a "yes" or "No" on are not very accurate. I checked out the set I am getting on there and they had made things I know it can do, as not available. So dont assume its correct.

Also Comet are Very expensive imo. Mainly I guess cos they are high st. But for example: the JVC I am after is £1400 online, £1999 in there.

Afraid I do not know this set. Rather bizzarely all the websites it is on are in another language. Suggesting it is a European release maybe..!??!

Hope it all works out for you..
CL.

I only went in to have a look at the sets but ended up buying one. I wouldn't have normally gone to comet but I was passing by. As for the warranty .I had to get one due to a horrible experiance from a small retailer who was a nightmare when my old RPTV died . This way comet will pick it up repair it and give me a new set if its knackered.

Mind you the saleman was very eager to get me to order an lcd . Kept telling me plasmas were rubbish. LCDs will last longer and wont be needing regassed. This was the set he would buy if he had the money ..etc

If you have a John Lewis nearby then go there, you then get the TV at the comet price and a free 5 year warranty that covers all problems.

As for the TV, if you like it then that should be good enough, the ClearLCD stuff coming out is an unknown so far, philips like other manufacturers do these things mainly for the publicity of new stuff, ClearLCD might not do much difference and i would think the 42" model ClearLCDs would cost at least £3000!

I would have liked to gotten it from john lewis but like I say it was more of an impulse buy. Anyway nobody apart from comet seems to sell these instore

Cancel it!!!
Now Sky is going to only broadcast 1080, go for a full-HD set.

The Toshiba 42WLT66 may have been of interest.
It offers 1920 x 1080 resolution and two HDMIs.
Released on 16th May and you can get it for £1680 from 247 Electrical.

I'm going back instore for another look before cancelling it . Going to look at it from the distance I would be viewing it at home.

just gotten back from a second viewing. The hd demo running looks really good. Apart from some pixelation on a bit where it had F1 cars racing. Black levels very good. Couldn't let me see it running a dvd due to not having a free player available. Couldn't see it running standard tv as it wasnt tuned in. They tried to tune it in but ran into problems. The guy who knows most about HD they said wasn't in and you can come back tommorow and he will deal with any questions you have .
They gave me a print out of the features it's supposed to have

They also said even thought its resolution is 1366 x 768 it can show 1080i with no down scaling. Even on the back of the tv it says 720p 1080i . Is this right ?.

I might just let them deliver it then spend a few days viewing dvds/tv etc to see if I am happy with it . If not I can get them to pick it up and take it back

The pixellation on th eF1 cars is probably the source material.

The 1080i has to be downscaled. Anything else is rubbish - how else do you get 1080 lines into 768 pixels?

However, the back says that it can handle 720 and 1080 signals and these are in the range for the inputs - correct. It just cannot display 1080i in native resolution.

This 1080p is mainly numbers marketing, frankly. HD, when properly done still looks awesome. Regardless of 720p or 1080i.

does an lcd screen need to be eased in. I know for a plasma screen they say take it easy for a while before putting the contrast/ brightness or whatever up. Or can I just put it on and not worry about taking it easy or screen retention

Korben Dallas said:
does an lcd screen need to be eased in. I know for a plasma screen they say take it easy for a while before putting the contrast/ brightness or whatever up. Or can I just put it on and not worry about taking it easy or screen retention

No need for easing it in, the only thing that needs easing in is the user with a new larger LCD, the settings it comes out of the box with are way too bright in most cases, the same as in the shops, what you need to do is find your own personal preferences and this could take a couple of weeks, but once you find it you'll love the LCD as long as you can live with the knowledge that some Standard Definition broadcasts will be blurry due to the LCD having to scale the picture so much.

Finally got it delivered this morning. Very pleased with it so far.

I have a dvd player connected via scart. Will I have to connect it via component to see the effects of prog scan and have the set up scale it ?

At the moment I can't see any option in manual or in remote to choose 720p etc

For progressive scan and a better pic, yes you want to connect via component. Unless you DVD player has an option to upscale to 720p and has an HDMI or DVI output, you won't be seeing anything on your screen about 720p. That's something you'll only see with HD sources.

Right now, through scart, it'll either be 576i or 480i, depending on the DVD.

zerolight said:
For progressive scan and a better pic, yes you want to connect via component. Unless you DVD player has an option to upscale to 720p and has an HDMI or DVI output, you won't be seeing anything on your screen about 720p. That's something you'll only see with HD sources.

Err..no.

The set will be already upscaling it. That's why it fills the screen.

I would trust the scaler in the TV far more than the one in the DVD player. But experiment with the component cables.

Korben Dallas said:

I have a dvd player connected via scart. Will I have to connect it via component to see the effects of prog scan and have the set up scale it ?

You wont choose 720p on the TV it will be the input source where you determine that, the TV will the auto adjust depending upon the input. Until you get an XBox 360, HD DVD or SkyHD the most you will get is progressive scan PAL or NTSC, or 576i/480i.

The set will upscale to 576p but it wont be as good as the player deinterlacing it and outputting at 576p. So yes connect using component. However the difference may be slight depending upon your TV's own scaler/deinterlacer.

hamster said:
Err..no.

The set will be already upscaling it. That's why it fills the screen.

I would trust the scaler in the TV far more than the one in the DVD player. But experiment with the component cables.

Err Yes.

He said he couldn't see 720p anywhere. I said he won't because he's feeding it a SD source. When the set, any set, upscales a std def source itself, it still displays what the source was, ie. 576i, 480i, 576p, 480p. It will only ever say that it's 720p if the source is 720p, or the DVD player upscales it to 720p.

Yes, the TV will upscale a SD source, but it will still call it an SD source. Which is exactly what I said.

Shouldn't I be able to see what the dvd is being scaled up to . All I can see is that it says source is analougue for that scart connection

Are component cable the ones with 4 connectors. 3 for video and the other for audio. I always thought they were a single connection cable for video.

No. Your TV will scale everything up to it's native resolution of 1360x768.

Your TV may tell you what format the source is in, but will always scale it to 1360x768.

If you feed it SCART there may be something you can enable which will tell you that it's 480i or 576i, or it may just say analogue, which can only be 480i or 576i. If it's over component then it will tell you again what the source is, whether interlaced or progressive, 480, 576, 720, or 1080. It will always tell you what the source is, and it will always scale it to its native resolution.

Component is only video. 3 cables. Red. Green. Blue.

Not to be confused with composite. Yellow, White, and Red. Yellow being video and the other pair being audio.

Korben Dallas said:
Shouldn't I be able to see what the dvd is being scaled up to . All I can see is that it says source is analougue for that scart connection

Are component cable the ones with 4 connectors. 3 for video and the other for audio. I always thought they were a single connection cable for video.

You will only get scaled up DVD's using the HDMI port or the component port. If your viewing using scart then your not getting any scaling up at all.

Component is red, green, blue RCA phonos and either white and red audio or a digital cable.

Korben Dallas said:

Confusing!

What DVD player do you have?

Does it state in the manual that it will upscale the output via component or DVI/HDMI?

All images on an LCD are scaled no matter what the source analogue/DTV/Scart/component/DVI/HDMI. This must be true otherwise you would not have the ability to change aspect ratio and fit the 1366*768 panel.

Some inputs (Component/DVI/HDMI)also let you feed higher resolution pictures (From perhaps an upscaling DVD player - feeding 1280*720 or 1920*1080i) - These also need to be scaled by the TV to fill out the panel (Usually 1366*768).

The TV's pixel plus will also add information into the picture to enhance the quality of the final display (adding extra lines that were not in the original source - from most inputs). I don't know if this is true of the HDMI/DVI input as this is meant to be feed with an uncompressed digital signal.

The best thing to do is read your manuals completely.

Enjoy your new set and give us some reviews and pictures.

Theres 5 dvd players I could hook up.

An old samsung 709

A pioneer dv 606D - which is very old. I had to import it into the country as dvd wasn't launched here at the time .

a yamada dvx 6700

The freebie dvd recorder they sent with the tv

and the one connected at the moment is a LG. Not sure what model

only the pioneer has a component connections .
None have prog scan . Very basic players

Don't want to add another dvd to what I have as I don't even use most of them already.
Will probably wait till blu ray / hd dvd .

Tried return of the king and sympathy for lady vengance.
I am happy with the picture I get at the moment through scart . But know it could be better through component .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom