Toshiba 42WLT66/47WLT66 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty2005

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread on these two new tv's since the 58 model thread is so large.

Any info? specs? pictures? prices?

Also a sub-woofer can be bought for these two machines, any info on that?

I noticed that a few websites now have some basic info and prices on these sets.

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/24...nfoa.asp?recordid=3595872&cid=1212&afid=88888

. 107cm visible screen size . HD Ready . 1920 x 1080 display resolution . 16:9 aspect ratio . Integrated Digital tuner . 550 cd brightness . 800:1 Contrast Ratio . 2x HDMI Connections.

The 42in version is selling for £1,971.08 Incl VAT.

Does anyone have any details on the PC input for this set? I want to know whether it will handle a PC resolution of 1920 x 1080 with 1:1 pixel mapping?

Also any word on the response times for the 42 and 47 models as I heard these may be slower than the smaller 1366 X 768 wlt66 screens??

Think the 42" is the one for me. Feels like I've been waiting for these to be released for ages now.....

Has anyone seen any reviews of these set's yet?
thought they might have made it into the reviews over in the far east by now.

Fingers crossed they are something special.

The omens are not good for 1:1 pixel mapping via Toshiba HDMI socket......

The current Toshiba WLT58 series only allows PC input via VGA.

The WLT58 screen has overscanned when PC are connected using DVI to HDMI cables.

I would love the screen to accept 1920x1080@60Hz without overscan, or even interlaced 1920x1080@60Hz for PC use. Unfortunatley we are going to have to wait until somebody on here buys one and tries it.

There are screens such as the LG's which have a PC mode option when using the HDMI socket to allow 1:1 mapping...............time will tell.

Hopefully the WLT66's 1080 panel electronics are swapped straight from Japan, that may give 1:1 pixel mapping a bigger chance.

I was considering getting the 42wlt58...before I got news of the 66 range.
Does anyone have any confirmed release dates ?
I need to purchase one in the next week or so because my brother is moving out and taking his TV with him :-(

(On the upside, I've got my name on the Sky HD list and I'm getting a HD ready TV ! :D :D :D )

I doubt you'll manage to get hold of one in the next week or so but it may be worth placing an order now. From my experience, new Tosh sets can be in very short supply for the first few months.

Personally, I'd defnately wait the extra few weeks to get the 66 over the 58 range.

:thumbsdow Contrast ratio of 800:1 on a 37/42" is not very good in comparison to new upcoming sets from SONY, Sharp etc (which also offer superior colour gamet).

Also I think you'll find that the Toshiba is simply a 1080p panel and that the set will not accept 1080p signals. i.e. 1080i is the best it will accept. As per usual de-interlaces and writes to the panel in progressive mode.

I like the spec on the 42" screen and the fact that it is able to do 1080p and has 2 HDMI sockets really sounds good. The only thing is I want a Silver (or even grayish*) TV and a floorstand.

I know the 58's come with floorstands so I hope this one does too.

chambeaj said:
As per usual de-interlaces and writes to the panel in progressive mode.

Can you expand upon that please? Will this be the same as what happens on the Philips 9830 1080 sets? So does that mean a 1080p HD DVD will not play in 1080p on this set?

How can the set deinterlace a 1080p signal? Or are you saying you would need to set the player to 1080i and that the TV would try to deinterlace that and then plays it at 1080p. If so would the fact that it was a 1080p signal rather than a 1080i signal originally mean that the deinterlacing would produce a perfect 1080p picture anyway. i.e the disc is 1080p, the player interlaces it to output 1080i and the TV deinterlaces it back to 1080p?

God Im confused.

i'm really interested in this, so I hope its as good as it sounds.

Broadsword said:
Can you expand upon that please? Will this be the same as what happens on the Philips 9830 1080 sets? So does that mean a 1080p HD DVD will not play in 1080p on this set?

How can the set deinterlace a 1080p signal? Or are you saying you would need to set the player to 1080i and that the TV would try to deinterlace that and then plays it at 1080p. If so would the fact that it was a 1080p signal rather than a 1080i signal originally mean that the deinterlacing would produce a perfect 1080p picture anyway. i.e the disc is 1080p, the player interlaces it to output 1080i and the TV deinterlaces it back to 1080p?

God Im confused.

The problem with a lot of these so-called "1080p" displays is that they can't take a full fat 1080p input signal. There are in fact limited to a maximum input of 1080i. This is normally done because 1080i electronics are a lot cheaper than the 1080p equivalent.

In an ideal world it would be possible to take a 1080i signal, de-interlace it inside the TV and recreate the original 1080p picture for display on the screen.

However, in many cases 1080i will not be de-interlaced by the display properly. Instead of taking the two 540 line fields and stitching them back together to give 1080 lines the display will just treat each field as if it were a 540p signal and scale that up to fill the screen. This means that half the vertical resolution gets thrown away without being used.

Again this is done because it's cheaper. It normally takes a scaler costing about a grand (Lumagen etc.) to properly deinterlace 1080i.

The best way to make sure a 1080 line panel is displaying all the available information from a 1080p source (HD-DVD or Bluray) is to feed it with a 1080p signal in the first place. That way the processing required inside the display is reduced to an absolute minimum and you remove two unnecessary interlace/de-interlace steps from the chain.

Personally I would only buy a 1080 line display if I was 100% sure it could take a 1080p signal.

does the 42" include integrated speakers? the web site only talks about speakers on the 47".

I've seen the 42WLT66 on Dabs.com for £1789.99 with just £9.50 for delivery!:thumbsup:

Mousepotato said:
I've seen the 42WLT66 on Dabs.com for £1789.99 with just £9.50 for delivery!:thumbsup:

Fingers crossed that Freeman's get it in.

Anyone know if the 42WLT66 will accept 1080p?

The owners manual (WLT66 series) only lists 1080i.

How about 1:1 pixel mapping through VGA or HDMI?

Again the manual only mentions 4:3 resolutions up to 1280x1024 (hich I know is actually more like 4:5 ;) )

The new models would have to be a BIG step up to make me part with my month old 37" Tosh.

Especially as I have a pixel perfect set and would be gutted to get a new screen with a duff pixel.

I feel (apart from the 42 and the larger one which has a 1080p screen) there is really going to be any significant difference, just a tweak here and there with is probably only measurable with testing equipment etc.

As with much modern hardware, you probably have to skip a few releases to actually get MUCH improvement.

ashmufc said:
Mm... This is 66 model and say this does 1080i, and then 68 model does 1080p?

Well the above link to the Toshiba website does state: Display resolution: 1920x1080

for the 42WLT66 :thumbsup:

Yet again I'm afraid :(

It looks like 1:1 pixel mapping is going to be an ISSUE if you look at page 7 of the owners manual from Toshiba's site.

We may be able to get around it again, (using picture stretch etc) and get it pretty good, but for some Bloody Silly reason they are only quoting:

1280x1024 as the top res for PC connection.

ashmufc said:
Tempest I think the PQ of the set will be a lot better as they now have a Farjouda (sp) scaler in it.

Is that actually a good thing or not?

The Oppo DVD upscaling DVD player used that make/brand of chip and it's the thing that gives the terrible macroblocking which is the main curse of that DVD player, and it admitted that's the problem with using this chipset.

Other DVD players using the same chipset, can't get rid of the "Enhanced" macroblocking either.

I Hope, this is not that same as these DVD Players use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom