Panasonic DMRES10 – How does EXT Link work? Advice needed before I buy!

W

wydcus

I'm looking to buy the Panasonic DMR-ES10 - but would like confirmation on the EXT Link functionality (I don't have an outdoor ariel - feed is only from Sky box..)
I’m confused if my setup will work with the Panny EXT Link function..without the external ariel (maybe I'll have to get one - can you please advise??).

My budget is around £150 - I know the DMR-ES20 has the built in Freeview - is it worth getting an external ariel installed and paying the extra £30 for this model? I can't stretch to the EH50...which is a great shame...

Panasonic DMRES10 – EXT Link functionality
– the EXT Link functionality which has been mentioned on some of these forums / Amazon website
– http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0009EFO6C/customer-reviews/026-4094266-9477269
– http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=17156979869&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2dhbGxlcnk=&product_uid=89246

Q1 – can anyone please give me more details how this EXT with the Panny? I notice you have to select Autoview on Sky, then the programme automatically records right (?) if EXT link has been pressed on the Panny – is that all there is to it??

Q2 - I noticed when I select Autoview on my Thomson Sky box, it then needs me to press SELECT to watch the programme – will this cause problems if I’m away and have a series of auotviews setup and am not there to press SELECT?? (i.e. am in bed / out)

Q3 – I was planning on buying the 9.4GB RAM disk – so I could double the recording time –the standard recording times for a 4.7GB disk for the Panny are:

XP - 1hr from 4.7GB disk
SP - 2hrs from 4.7GB disk
LP - 4hrs from 4.7GB disk

-would I simply get double times from a 9.4 RAM disk?? Eg 2hrs @ XP mode, 4 @ SP mode…? Are there conplications with finalising the 9.4GB side 1 before it'll run onto side 2??

Q4 – will the timeslip functionality work WITHOUT an external ariel?

Thanks in advance

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
wydcus said:
Q1 – can anyone please give me more details how this EXT with the Panny? I notice you have to select Autoview on Sky, then the programme automatically records right (?) if EXT link has been pressed on the Panny – is that all there is to it??

Yes, providing you have a fully wired scart between the Sky VCR socket and the Panny's AV2 input. Recordings will be only in composite and you have to ensure that the panny's AV2 is set up to accept composite video and ext link 1

wydcus said:
Q2 - I noticed when I select Autoview on my Thomson Sky box, it then needs me to press SELECT to watch the programme – will this cause problems if I’m away and have a series of auotviews setup and am not there to press SELECT?? (i.e. am in bed / out)

The sky box will switch channels if autoview is selected if you do nothing, but it can take a few seconds which means you may miss the start of the program

wydcus said:
Q3 – I was planning on buying the 9.4GB RAM disk – so I could double the recording time –the standard recording times for a 4.7GB disk for the Panny are:

XP - 1hr from 4.7GB disk
SP - 2hrs from 4.7GB disk
LP - 4hrs from 4.7GB disk

-would I simply get double times from a 9.4 RAM disk?? Eg 2hrs @ XP mode, 4 @ SP mode…? Are there conplications with finalising the 9.4GB side 1 before it'll run onto side 2??

Double sided discs only work if you manually turn them over, so no help if you're not there to do it

wydcus said:
Q4 – will the timeslip functionality work WITHOUT an external ariel?

You can chase play any recording, i.e. start watching a program being recorded after it has started and by using fast forward / 30 sec skip for adverts and bits you don't want to watch, gradually catch up to real time recording

i notice that my amstrad sky box will change channel using autoview but leaves an annoying banner on screen for about 5 mins. of course this ruins the recording.

Thanks for the great info - what is the quality like on the 2hr and 4hr modes - is it VHS or DVD esque?

Re: banner display - think there's a setting in the Sky box settings..but can't check as not @ home

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom