XviDs play in small window on Denon 1920?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lo all,

Has anyone come across a Denon 1920 'shrinking' the viewing window with DivX or XviD files?

Having just got this player (& got an HDMI cable at the same time), whenever I watch a film/file encoded in DivX/XviD, the viewing window is really small.

Now it may be the files I have burnt, although they play in a full screen window on my PC using Windows Media Player....:confused:

I don't have another DVD player to test them on, so was wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestion?

I should say that normal DVDs are unaffected & play in upscaled lovelyness! :smashin:

Cheers. :)

You are not alone, I've also been having this problem on all avi files I try and play.

I've previously owned a £50 KiSS DivX player which would play avi files full screen, so why a more expensive Denon player can't I don't know.

What firmware are you on ? Is your player Multi-region ? (I'm on 1.17, region 0) Just wondering if that has anything to do with it, maybe the multi-region hack has broken this 'feature'.

Dave.

daveri said:
You are not alone, I've also been having this problem on all avi files I try and play.

I've previously owned a £50 KiSS DivX player which would play avi files full screen, so why a more expensive Denon player can't I don't know.

What firmware are you on ? Is your player Multi-region ? (I'm on 1.17, region 0) Just wondering if that has anything to do with it, maybe the multi-region hack has broken this 'feature'.

Dave.
Hi & thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what firmware (not even sure how to tell :oops: ), but it is multi region if that helps.

My £100 Pioneer 575 played all my AVIs in a lovely full screen window, but despite 'upgrading' to a better spec'd player, it appears I may have taken a step backwards. :thumbsdow

[Edit]-I do hope there's a fix for this, as the ability to play AVIs is the main reason I wanted this player (+ I've now sold my Pioneer 575 :eek: )

By the way-are you connecting via HDMI?

I use both scart and HDMI , both show the movies in a small window.

To find out which firmware version you have, press "1-2-3-4-DISPLAY" (with no disc in the player)

You probably have the same version as me, it would be interesting to see if other owners who dont have this problem are on a different version, or are not mult region, but I suspect this is just a 'feature'.

daveri said:
I use both scart and HDMI , both show the movies in a small window.

To find out which firmware version you have, press "1-2-3-4-DISPLAY" (with no disc in the player)

You probably have the same version as me, it would be interesting to see if other owners who dont have this problem are on a different version, or are not mult region, but I suspect this is just a 'feature'.

Then it's a 'feature' I can do without frankly.....:thumbsdow

I'll check firmware later, cheers.

Anyone? :lease:

I really love this player, but this AVI file problem is a real nightmare for me, & now my G/F feels she has wasted her money (it was a Christmas pressie from her) :(

I'm going to try connecting it via SCART tonight to rule out the HDMI lead/connection, but I'm think I'm clutching at straws TBH.

Surely there must be some 1920 owners here who can try an AVI file to see if they get the same issue? :lease:

Thanks again. :)

Azzin said:
Surely there must be some 1920 owners here who can try an AVI file to see if they get the same issue? :lease:

Same thing here....I need to zoom the picture in order to get a decent sized picture.

unfortunatly the only way round I know is to play the files via a vga output on my laptop using Mediaportal...

Azzin said:
Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else? :lease:

This really is poor on Denon's part. :thumbsdow

It's even worse than you realise. Apart from the small play window, the 1920 is not compatible with AC3 sound so you get no sound on these Divx's. I have 2 files and both are AC3 and useless!!!! by the way I have the new 1.24 firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom