VP30 and Fujitsu 50 - got a 50hz problem!!!

TransientWolf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally got my VP30 just before Xmas and very pleased with it in all areas, particularly the audio switching and built in lip sync. Sky+ picture quality is amazing compared to the panel alone.

Only slight problem is I have the VP30 set to output a 50hz input signal as an unlocked 59.94hz output signal to the panel. On all 50hz sources this is absolutely fine except Sky+ On Sky+ (SVideo input) the picture quality is stunning but there is jerkiness on panning across the picture - only slight but when you know its there you keep looking for it.

I am addressing the panel at native resolution (1360*768) - (Fujitsu's are 1360 rather than the quoted 1366).

If I switch to a 720p output the jerkiness goes away but the picture quality suffers as the panel starts to do some processing too. I figure it must be better to address the panel in native resolution.

I then switched the settings so that a 50hz input was output at a 50hz locked signal to the panel. Hey presto - it got rid of the jerkiness, pcture quality was good, BUT the whole picture jumped about 18 inches (yes 18 not a mistype) to the left with massive overscan. Changing the horizontal shift did not move the picture.

I am planning to get Gordon to calibrate the panel for me but was waiting for Sky Hi Def to come first. Of course taking that into the VP30 via an HDMI input may well solve the problem anyway but was hoping to improve in the meantime if anybody has any ideas.

I did think about getting a Scart RGB to RGBS adaptor and going in to the VP30 on one of the RGB + Sync inputs to see if that made a difference too.

Any ideas or anybody else who has this problem on the VP30 - thoughts welcome.

Cheers

TW

The problem is your screen and not the iScanVP30.

Firstly, you shouldn't change 50Hz to 60Hz unless you really need to as this inserts frames and creates visible judder ("jerkiness") in pans and scrolling text.

Secondly, what is happening is you are seeing that your screen has two different sets of memories for 50Hz and 60Hz signals ... and different horizontal and vertical size and positions.

To resolve you should be able to change the horizontal shift on the display AND on the iScan VP30 if you really need to, but the solution is to simply adjust the horizontal position for 50Hz.

HTH

StooMonster

I don't understand? The panel doesn't have options to move the picture sp far to the right (only goes up to +32) If I feed it 50Hz as 720p from the Scaler then it is fine, it is only when I feed it 50Hz at its native resolution that it has a problem.

TransientWolf said:
I don't understand? The panel doesn't have options to move the picture sp far to the right (only goes up to +32)
The VP30 also has a picture position option doesn't it? You could use BOTH settings to move picture position: the picture position of the screen and the display?

Another thing to try is to drop refresh rate to say 49.99MHz or down a couple of percent, this may help too.

TransientWolf said:
If I feed it 50Hz as 720p from the Scaler then it is fine, it is only when I feed it 50Hz at its native resolution that it has a problem.
Each input and resolution has it's own memory bank of settings, so 720p@50Hz has a different memory bank to 1360*768@50Hz. Each memory bank contains: horizontal size, vertical size, horizontal position, vertical position, brightness, contrast, etc.

StooMonster

Actually the problem is that the display DOESN'T have a memory bank for native res at 50Hz. You will not be able to achieve pixel mapping. It is using its 720p@50 memory bank I think you'll find.

You don't say which model you have but I presume it's a 40us model.

Gordon

Hello TransientWolf

As Gordon says the 40US doesn't support 50Hz at Native rate - you have to use 720P(50) and let the Display do its stuff.

Best regards

Joe

There you go, it's the display not the VP30!

Thanks to Gordon and Joe for pointing out that Fujitsu 40US doesn't support 50Hz at native resolution. But it never ceases to amaze me that every display seems to have one limitation or another, why can't there be at least that does everything?

StooMonster

Hello Stoo

Fujitsu will blame Panasonic :)

The 40US has its roots set by Panasonic as it shares the same glass as the PHD8 and I guess the 50Hz 'limitation' is inherent in that technology.

Best regards

Joe

PS A perfect product - we'd all have to go home!!!

Same glass but not same electronic processing. Pannys can accept pretty much any signal via analogue, sounds like this Fujitsu doesn't (even at 50Hz). :eek:

StooMonster

Thanks Guys for the info - Gordon, should have known you would have the answer for me! Yes it is the 40US

I actually prefer the picture quality at the 60hz level (seems to be less noise) so will put up with the jerkiness I guess, altho upgrade to an RGB/S input from the current SVHS input (unless somebody screams STOP!)

Gordon - Am I right to wait for Sky Hi Def before getting you round to calibrate the panel, given this will be my main viewing source (altho other thread saying Sky HD box will upscale SD to HD itself before outputting is a worrying factor I had not considered that might mean only using SkyHD for HD and my Sky+ box for SD)

The panel is calibrated to the signal coming out of the scaler. The scaler is calibrated to the signal coming out of the SKYHD box. It's unlikely there are going to be lots of nice test patterns on SKYHD for us to calibrate with so Id use something to emulate the HDMI output of the HD box. I don't think there will be much to do by way of tweaking when the actual Sky box arrives

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom