Does the Philips 9830 have an obscure fault?

Have you experienced the Cold reset problem?

• yes

Votes: 153 58.8%
  • no

Votes: 107 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chambeaj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
At least four people on these forums have now reported that they have experienced the following problem.

* The set suddenly powers off and back on. Blue LED comes straight back on and there is the usual 3-5 second delay before the backlights/screen and Ambilight are switched on. In otherwords the TV seems to (for no particular reason) do a hard reset.

For me this has only happened once, after having already owned my 9830 for a period of 5-6 weeks (and happened within the first five minutes after having initially turned on).

The problem is obviously very obscure (and I suspect is a software bug).

The very fact that a number of individuals have described the same fault suggests that there is an issue that Philips needs to address with the 9830 series.

Would be interested to guage how many 9830 owners have experienced this problem - and how often.

For me:

1 Thursday November 2005 approx. 19:30
2 Thursday February 23rd 2006 approx. 19:59
3 Monday March 13th 2006 approx. 20:00
4 Sunday April 16th 2006 approx. 12.27

I have the 32 and don't think I have noticed what you describe. Every now and again I get the effect of it seeming to change input source (without it actually changing) but it is only now and again (rare). If it helps the only input source I use is the DVI.

does this happen with the 37" version?.i have one being del sunday.i would like to know so i can cancel my order.

Have had mine for nearly 2 weeks and have had no problems yet (touching wood as we speak!) Still trying to find best PQ settings though !! :confused:

ACMErubberDuck,

When you have it changing (with out actually) does th escreen fgo blank and then the DVI-I thing appear on screen? Mine (a 4310) does this quite a bit when the screen goes from dark to brite quite quickly and only on DVI not scart.

Do you have any reason for yours doing.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I've had the same problem with my 9830 a few times, it's only happened once recently though (in the last 2 weeks) so not really a major bother. The 5 tiny stuck blue pixels that just seem to have appeared worry me more :rolleyes:

chochoc said:
I've had the same problem with my 9830 a few times, it's only happened once recently though (in the last 2 weeks) so not really a major bother. The 5 tiny stuck blue pixels that just seem to have appeared worry me more :rolleyes:

Did it happen during the first five mins after the set was first turned on or after the screen had been on for a decent period of time?

It seems completley random to me. Last time I'd been watching TV for about half an hour when it happened (just went off by itself then came back on within a few seconds). I must of owned it well over a month now, and only had this problem 3-4 times total. I keep wondering if something triggers it. But guess it could just be a bug in the software that can be fixed with a firmeware update.

Everytime has been when I was watching regular TV via a Sony Freeview box plugged into rgb scart socket 1. It's never happened yet when viewing sources via Component or HDMI. I'm more than happy with the TV in general, picture and sound is great (much better than the Sony V series 32" that I returned to get it). So hope no one readning this gets put off the 9830.

Just little things like this, and stuck pixels bother me. Like everyone I expect that buys an expensive TV was hoping it would be perfect, but then a few little niggles always seem to come up ;) .

chochoc said:
It seems completley random to me. Last time I'd been watching TV for about half an hour when it happened (just went off by itself then came back on within a few seconds). I must of owned it well over a month now, and only had this problem 3-4 times total. I keep wondering if something triggers it. But guess it could just be a bug in the software that can be fixed with a firmeware update.

Everytime has been when I was watching regular TV via a Sony Freeview box plugged into rgb scart socket 1. It's never happened yet when viewing sources via Component or HDMI. I'm more than happy with the TV in general, picture and sound is great (much better than the Sony V series 32" that I returned to get it). So hope no one readning this gets put off the 9830.

Just little things like this, and stuck pixels bother me. Like everyone I expect that buys an expensive TV was hoping it would be perfect, but then a few little niggles always seem to come up ;) .

Have read lots of comments suggesting that stuck pixels can be eliminated by gently massaging the affected area of the screen! Search these forums and I am confident you will find numerous posts on the subject (or search for 'stuck pixels massaging' on google).

Regards
chambeaj

I had the same issue, after 5 mins of setting up the set seemed to reset. It hasnt happened since though and have been using the tv for a week.

You have to notice, that most 9830 TVs do not suffer from this problem. Mine for ones works flawlessly. It does'nt transmit obscure sounds, powers down et cetera....

NicG said:
ACMErubberDuck,

When you have it changing (with out actually) does th escreen fgo blank and then the DVI-I thing appear on screen? Mine (a 4310) does this quite a bit when the screen goes from dark to brite quite quickly and only on DVI not scart.

Do you have any reason for yours doing.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Can't narrow down a consistant cause but it has only occured when displaying my XP desktop. I have mine hooked up to a Media Center 2005 PC and it has only done it maybe 3 times in the past month. It could just be the graphics card.

Two weeks in had the on / off switching though it didn't reset anything.

Thing I've had mine 'flick' on and off on component a lot everytime I play a R2 DVD. My DVD player only does NTSC prog scan, so i am / was thinking this was the problem. This hasn't happened when playing ANY R1 DVDs, only R2. Though matters are now confused as I borrowed 'Be Cool' rental froma neighbour and that didn't flick once. :confused:

I have also had intemittant problems with my stand. Sometimes (using remote from distance) it gets excited and instead of moving slightly as you press, it goes all the way left or right which was a lot of fun when it met the wall :eek:

I emailed Phillips weeks ago and suprise they haven't come back on any of the matters.

First thing I did was make sure the stand couldn't smack the panel off the wall (cause you know someone will try :) )

Hi Guys,

Just how bad is this problem?

I really like this LCD, but after hearing about the restart issue, I'm alittle put off buying one. Can anyone help put my mind at rest?

Thanks

machinehead said:
does this happen with the 37" version?.i have one being del sunday.i would like to know so i can cancel my order.
No promlems on my 37" :smashin:

Duster said:
I really like this LCD, but after hearing about the restart issue, I'm alittle put off buying one

You heard that two persons had it turn off and on only ONCE within 5 minutes of the first time they powered it on and now you hesitate if you should buy it???

I advise you not to buy it. But also not to buy anything else for the rest of your life!
There might be an imperfection, you know... and anything that is not 100% perfect is not worth buying.

New firmware SW is out. Try it! My 32" hadn't any problems at all from the start and after the update no problems either. Now I can watch DivX/Xvid movies through USB. :D :D :thumbsup:

Had my 32PF9830 for just over 1 week, and just experienced my first spontaneous reset. Was watching Sky via SCART 1. Haven't tried the new firmware yet though. Even so, doesn't worry me at all, the pros far outweigh this issue I think.

Two weeks now with the TV and two times had this reset problem, once with dvd/component imput and once with Topfield PVR with scart... Updated firmware just today, we'll see what happens...

Rob1698 said:
You heard that two persons had it turn off and on only ONCE within 5 minutes of the first time they powered it on and now you hesitate if you should buy it???

I advise you not to buy it. But also not to buy anything else for the rest of your life!
There might be an imperfection, you know... and anything that is not 100% perfect is not worth buying.

Thanks for reply :D

But for that sort of money(£2000) do you not think that this problem should of been sorted out before this set was put out for sale?

I dont mind if the set resets itself ONCE, as you say, but if it resets itself much more than this, as some people have reported, then I think there may be a problem.

I hope the problem is fixed with a firmware upgrade, but if it doesnt, then no, I dont want to buy this set.I dont see any other LCDs from other brands reseting themselfs like this.

I really like this set and I would buy one if this problem was solved.

Duster said:
\
But for that sort of money(£2000) do you not think that this problem should of been sorted out before this set was put out for sale?

Yes. But I can tell you that is not going to happen.

I have a Philips 32PF9986 TV. It has firmware problems.
I have a Dell W1700 TV. It has firmware problems.
I have a Samsung digital cable receiver. It has firmware problems.
I have a DVD recorder. It has firmware problems.

Maybe you start seeing a pattern here?
Companies don't wait to put a product on the market until there are absolutely no more problems to be found. And even if they do, a problem may surface once you
have bought it (e.g. because it only occurs in certain circumstances).
Finally, what one considers a firmware problem, someone else may call a "limitation" or "this is how it was designed".

In case of defects you can try to complain, and in case of the 9830 you are lucky that firmware updates can be done in the field. To upgrade my 9986 I would have to return it to a repairshop, and even then it would not fix my problems because many of them are not even solved in the 9830.

Hi,
I've had the 37" for 4 weeks now - no resets but i've had hitting wall bug like andrewf had

7 days and 5 hours.no problems so far.still in love with the picture.even upgraded the new firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom