Component signal through VGA cable?

DavidPeat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Sounds stupid but....

When I installed my PTAE100 all those years ago, the done thing was to wire it up to a Pro-V TV tuner/de-interlacer box. This I did and furthermore routed 15m of VGA cable along and up inside the wall, under the floor upstairs and through the ceiling to the projector.

Now in these days of affordable progressive scan DVD players (and recorders - with TV tuners) I have a dilemma. I am about to get a 1280x720 LCD projector and think that a component source combined with the (probably) superior scaling and so on in the projector will produce a much better picture than the old Pro-V supplying 800x600 to the VGA port.

So first of all - would you expect there be a huge difference.

Secondly - I thought I could re-use the exisiting VGA cable by splitting out the cable at each end and wiring up component style jacks, or by getting some VGA sockets and wiring up some convertors. There are enough wires in the VGA cable for 3xsignal and 3xearth. Will this work? Wires thick enough, well enough screened, that sort of thing?

And no - routing a component cable is not an option :)

I would say the picture would look better, as to the VGA cable, the RGB wires should be 75 ohm mini coax so would be just as good for component as RGBHV VGA.

Andy.

Hello DavidPeat

I'm with Andy - YUV from any half decent DVD player is going to look better than what your used to from your ProV.

YUV over a five core 'VGA' cable is fine - in fact many YUV cables are five core cables with two cores simply ignored.

The trick is finding RCA plugs that will make a decent connection with the individual cores of your 'VGA' cable.

You can purchase pre made HD15 (VGA) Female to 3 or 5 RCA plug jumper cables for approx £60.00 - have you looked to see if your projector will accept YUV on its HD15 (VGA) socket; you may only have to adapt the cable at the source end.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom