Pann Panny PV500 owners what machines are you using

pwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone compared a few machines on PV500 both HDMI and Component.
I have an es10 DVD recorder which seems okay but the Progressive scan does not make a noticable difference in comparison to a Denon 2200 I borrowed much to my friends relief. I also have an old Sony 725d which to be honest looks almost as good if not the same PQ wise as the es10. Would a Tosh 350 be significantly better than than both my current ones picture wise and possible match the Denon 2200.
I Was considering a Denon 1920 which is just out but folks on here have mentioned macroblocking issues with denons connected to pannys as they use the Farawatsiname chip.

I am in a very similar situation as I am looking to buy a DVD player for my PV500.

I have been contemplating getting a recorder instead as I don't have Sky+ but not sure how the DMRES10 holds up as a player compared to the Toshiba.

I have a the 42" version of the PV500. I have a ES10 recorder connected using a QED component cable and also the Panasonic S97 player connected through the HDMI port running at 720p. I can say that the s97 has smoother motion and a sharper picture, it's a cracking player for the money!

I have just got the oppo player excellent picture over hdmi . Not tried component yet . No panny problems noticed , but oppo thread mentions some pv500 owners have had issues .

The S97 would have been first choice but for some reason Panasonic have discontinued that model and have not replaced it. And just as its been well reviewed by What Hifi :rolleyes:. Would love to know the reason why they drop an HDMI player just as they launch HDMI equipped screens.

I have a Panasonic TX32LX500 (LCD) and, like you, had the Sony 725D (using component video connection) and thought it was a descent player. Yesterday I received my new Samsung HD950 and my initial impression is that it beats the 725D by many lengths when using a HDMI connection.

Cheers PKNARB thats the kind of thing I was wanting to find out about.

Anyone out there using the Toshiba 350? Its the price its sooooo tempting ( blue light aside)

DIAPAC,
The ES10 is good but having compared to my 6 year old Sony 725 there is little difference PQ wise even using progressive. I need a seperated DVD player as I find myself wanting to watch a DVD whilst recording a series on the es10. Its a very easy to use player and has RGB loop through which is invaluable if you want to make the best possible recordings from a Sky box or a freeview box. The PV500 cannot out put RBG from its scart sockets so you cannot record the built in freeview signal using RGB only composite. I'm sure there is a good technical reason for this.

:smashin: I was using a es10 via a qed component and was quite happy with the result on my 42pv500.Then decided i wanted to make use of the hdmi connection so opted for the denon2910 and have to say the difference in detail when watching return of the king was an eye opener.I have'nt suffered from any macroblocking whatsoever,though mine is'nt multi region and i have'nt messed with the firmware which from what i have read is the start of a lot of problems and issues for some people. :D

I am in a simialr situation and have 3 on my shortlist

Pioneer 575
Denon 1720
Toshiba 350

I currently have a pioner 380 and the picture quality though qed scart is very good however th eplayer is let down by noisy mechanism, no option to turn off display and slightly long layer changes.

Any idea how these newer players fair. I am not to sure about build quality of the toshiba's and don't rely know about the Denon, how quite is it.

Would welcome imput from anyone who owns one.

Cheers

I have a Denon 2910 via HDMI and it's stunning. The best picture (and sound) I have ever experienced from any DVD player.

I had the Toshiba 350 for two days and took it back. Sorry, but I cannot recommend it. There are too many glitches (sound problems, subtitle problems, cannot remember settings etc) and don't even start on the blue light! Picture is good but a bit "flat" via HDMI also.

:thumbsup: I have to say i dont think you can go wrong with the denons.You here a lot of people moaning but i just think thats down to a lot of people having denon as they are noted for their quality so the problems seem to be more highlighted.The same can be said about pv500's they are a popular display down to their quality so you get more threads moaning about them....its a double edged sword.Denon and the pv500 certainly make a great pairing through HDMI :smashin:

Right thats the Toshiba off the list. Build quality did bother me and the blue light would drive me mad. As a few of you are happy with your Denon machines and dont seem to be having MB problems I'm gonna look around for a Demo of the new 1920 which is due anytime soon.

i am using a marantz dv 9500 to connect to pv500. What an amazing picture using hdmi!! I am very pleased with these set up as it is . Things can only get better with HD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom