Philips 37PF9830 Thread!

A

ArNx

I got 37PF9830. First impressions = :thumbsup:
I have a problem connecting pc, max pc resolution dvi-dvi (ati Radeon 9000) IS 1024x768 :confused:
Anything higher than that = black screen :eek:
But Pc driver recognizes it as Philips flat TV max resolution 1920x1080i 60 Hz
Any one got any ideas?

Ps. this been posted on Philips 32pf9830 thread, but I sot I will open new thread for 37" separately.

What is the picture quality like with dvd, xbox, sky and with component and hdmi.
Also how does it compaire with other sets.

I was thinking of getting the 42" but need to see it first and i need to take a look at the new tosh as well.
Have you see the V series from sony how does the philips match up as ive seen the V series and was not that impresed.

I would like to know what 720p looks like as one of the main uses would be xbox 360.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying the 37PF9830. The only thing stopping me so far is the uncertainty whether 1:1 pixel mapping (at 1920x1080) can be obtained form a PC with DVI-D or DVI-A. The first post indicates that DVI-D is not an option. How about DVI-A (the 'old' analoge way)? I had a Sharp 32GA3 and the analoge (D-Sub) way gave me very satifying results at 1360x768.

Arnx, have you tried forcing analoge output on you videocard or adding a DVI to VGA adapter on both ends to ensure analoge throughput? Maybe the recognition of the display by windows is obtained the 'analoge' way.

Is the screen equippped with an ethernet port or not ? The leaflet on the philips site indicates there is but the manual doesn't.

Besides the 1920x1080 from PC issue the 37PF9830 is the ultimate LCD screen for me at the moment.

Marcel

chowyunfatt said:
What is the picture quality like with dvd, xbox, sky and with component and hdmi.
Also how does it compaire with other sets.

I was thinking of getting the 42" but need to see it first and i need to take a look at the new tosh as well.
Have you see the V series from sony how does the philips match up as ive seen the V series and was not that impresed.

I would like to know what 720p looks like as one of the main uses would be xbox 360.

Thanks.

Picture quality:
Telewest box RGB - Very good. (But depends on channel signal quality)
Cheap sony/vhs combo DVD RGB - exelent quality.
Xbox component 720p - excellent! No borders
Xbox component 1080i - amazing quality. No borders
No HDMI device yet, so cant tell what it like :rolleyes:
I didn’t see Sony v series, I had a 37pf9986 before, and I really like it (apart for few problems), so I decided to go for 37PF9830.

mwpbakker said:
Hi,

I'm seriously considering buying the 37PF9830. The only thing stopping me so far is the uncertainty whether 1:1 pixel mapping (at 1920x1080) can be obtained form a PC with DVI-D or DVI-A. The first post indicates that DVI-D is not an option. How about DVI-A (the 'old' analoge way)? I had a Sharp 32GA3 and the analoge (D-Sub) way gave me very satifying results at 1360x768.

Arnx, have you tried forcing analoge output on you videocard or adding a DVI to VGA adapter on both ends to ensure analoge throughput? Maybe the recognition of the display by windows is obtained the 'analoge' way.

Is the screen equippped with an ethernet port or not ? The leaflet on the philips site indicates there is but the manual doesn't.

Besides the 1920x1080 from PC issue the 37PF9830 is the ultimate LCD screen for me at the moment.

Marcel

No Ethernet port :thumbsdow
Haven't tried dvi to vga yet, will try tonight if i can.
Manual says max Pc resolution 1024 x 768 :confused:
I hope it can handle higher resolutions :cool: , or may be TV software update will help.

ArNx said:
Picture quality:
Telewest box RGB - Very good. (But depends on channel signal quality)
Cheap sony/vhs combo DVD RGB - exelent quality.
Xbox component 720p - excellent! No borders
Xbox component 1080i - amazing quality. No borders
No HDMI device yet, so cant tell what it like
I didn’t see Sony v series, I had a 37pf9986 before, and I really like it (apart for few problems), so I decided to go for 37PF9830.

Cool, if only i cant find some where to view.
Really would like to compare hdmi feed and xbox 720p with other tv,s.

How would you compare the 9830 to your older model and any other lcd sets you've seen.

Thanks, (looking like i need to save my pennys)

Good feedback guys .. Im also waiting for one of you to try HDMI to PC for 1920 x 1080 res
(Manual says 1024x768 via vga only)

Im looking to use this beast as a replacement monitor so i would like to know if its worth the extra £££ over the sony KDLs40A12U

Reading the manual, you can add a usb hard drive to play films, pics etc - I guess its too much to ask for it to be able to output to hard disk for use as a recorder?? (i wouldnt have thought it would)

Also good to see that updates will be available from philips support and can be installed through memory card slot

kev001 said:
Good feedback guys .. Im also waiting for one of you to try HDMI to PC for 1920 x 1080 res
(Manual says 1024x768 via vga only)

Do you mean PC DVI to TV HDMI cable?

kev001 said:
Reading the manual, you can add a usb hard drive to play films, pics etc - I guess its too much to ask for it to be able to output to hard disk for use as a recorder?? (i wouldnt have thought it would)

I dont think you can watch video files of memory card or USB hard drive.
Manual says MP3, JPEG, Slideshows. I hope future software update may fix this. :cool:

Hello,

I've tested a DVI-DVI connection between my pc with GeForce 6800 and a 37PF9830 in a local shop.
When setting the resolution to 1920x1080 in the GeForce driver, the card has sent an interlaced picture to the screen. This was shown on the TV with some overscan. Some lines were missing at the top and the bottom. The "Start"-button was only visible after moving the picture up with the "up"-button on the remote control.
When changing the settings manually to 1080p there was no reasonable picture any more. I also couldn't change this with powerstrip. I didn't manage to get a 1:1 pixel mapping with 1080i or 1080p.
I hope someone else has more luck or Philips will offer a software upgrade.

Now I'm thinking about what happens when a 1080i video signal is sent to the screen, for example from a dvd player with 1080i output? Can someone prove whether there are also some lines missing at the top and the bottom, maybe with a test dvd? If this is the case, then the dvd player would scale the picture to 1080 lines, then the tv would remove some lines and scale the rest to 1080 again, which makes no sense to me.

Regards
Ariomanus

ArNx said:
I dont think you can watch video files of memory card or USB hard drive.
Manual says MP3, JPEG, Slideshows. I hope future software update may fix this. :cool:

- Sorry i was looking at the 42" - that model plays xvid, divx from usb/mem card, 37" does not, so unlikely an update will fix :(

- Also i have seen some more conflicting info, the specs for the 37" show an ethernet connection displayed on the rear connections. I am positive this is a mistake though as it is not on the connectivity list :confused:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pf9830_10/37pf9830_10_pss_eng.pdf

- As for the 1980 x 1080, im sure it will be possible to display this res. from pc source. You would need to trick the tv into thinking the pc is a video feed via hdmi slot. My CRT tv has only a 320x240 res but will still display a virtual res of 1024x768 (ATI Radeon 9800 xt - I realise this only a virtual res.)

ariomanus said:
When setting the resolution to 1920x1080 in the GeForce driver, the card has sent an interlaced picture to the screen. This was shown on the TV with some overscan. Some lines were missing at the top and the bottom. The "Start"-button was only visible after moving the picture up with the "up"-button on the remote control.
When changing the settings manually to 1080p there was no reasonable picture any more. I also couldn't change this with powerstrip. I didn't manage to get a 1:1 pixel mapping with 1080i or 1080p.
I hope someone else has more luck or Philips will offer a software upgrade.

Now I'm thinking about what happens when a 1080i video signal is sent to the screen, for example from a dvd player with 1080i output? Can someone prove whether there are also some lines missing at the top and the bottom, maybe with a test dvd? If this is the case, then the dvd player would scale the picture to 1080 lines, then the tv would remove some lines and scale the rest to 1080 again, which makes no sense to me.

This is what you can expect when looking at the HDTV specs (SMPTE 274M).
There is a border of 16 pixels all around the picture which is the "overscan" area.
Content producers can use lesser standards in this area.
A CRT TV will display the area within this border, and use the border to have some room when picture size varies because of tolerances, warming up, etc.
An LCD TV could decide to display the entire 1920x1080 area but there could be some nasty effects (e.g. blue line, white line) at the extreme edges. Conservatively, it could crop off 16 pixels.

TVs are not meant to be computer displays, and this shows. Not only is there this issue of overscan (with associated scaling and pixel mapping problems), the TV guys also invented their own mapping of digital RGB values to screen brightness. Somewhat similar to overscan (the range from black to full brightness does not use the entire value range from 0 to 255).

Do not expect a TV to support 1080p unless it is clearly marked in the specs. For this mode, the scan rates, pixel rates etc are all doubled. This requires seriously faster stuff. Maybe in next year's model?
Don't count on a software upgrade either. Although this model offers field-updradable software, with the 9986 there are serious issues around PC connectivity as well and people asking Philips sometimes got "that is the way this set is designed" (which is of course true, but solves nothing when the design is suboptimal) and sometimes "we will be considering it". But when the 9830 appeared at the horizon there was a firm "there will be no more development on the 9986".

Consumer electronics firms usually see the product lifecycle only with development pre release and then shortly to fix immediate production problems. There is no continued development and maintenance throughout the expected lifetime of the product. Once customers have bought the product there is no longer a need to improve it, the sale has been made and there is no more money to be made.

Exceptions to this rule are far between, there are only very few consumer electronics companies that continue to release new versions of firmware for existing products. New versions with new functionality (as opposed to outright buxfixes) are even rarer.

Rob1698 said:
Consumer electronics firms usually see the product lifecycle only with development pre release and then shortly to fix immediate production problems. There is no continued development and maintenance throughout the expected lifetime of the product. Once customers have bought the product there is no longer a need to improve it, the sale has been made and there is no more money to be made.

Exceptions to this rule are far between, there are only very few consumer electronics companies that continue to release new versions of firmware for existing products. New versions with new functionality (as opposed to outright buxfixes) are even rarer.

Good point! I think so too :(

Hello,

about 1080i video signals on the 37PF9830:

an owner in Germany has tested now feeding the 37PF9830 with 1080i signal from a DVD player. It looks like the DVD is scaled two times, once in the DVD Player to 1080i and then in the Philips again, because it is shown with a few percent overscan. At least this is the situation with the current software.
Maybe this is interesting for someone here.

To summarize:
1080i video: no 1:1 pixel mapping, shown with a few percent overscan
1080i from pc: see above
1080p from pc: no picture at all

This is very dissapointing for me, because apart from the problems with 1080i (no 1:1 pixel mapping) and that 1080p is not possible this tv is really great.
We will see what software updates in the future will bring (or not).

Regards
Ariomanus

Does anyone know any retailers that have these tv's to view, thanks.

ariomanus said:
To summarize:
1080i video: no 1:1 pixel mapping, shown with a few percent overscan
1080i from pc: see above
1080p from pc: no picture at all
Regards
Ariomanus

Ariomanus. How did you connect PC? DVI-DVI?
I cannot get my one working DVI-DVI at 1080i or 720p(black scrren):mad:
I can set it only at 1024 x 768 XGA max :rolleyes:
Regards
ArNx

@ArNx:

My connection was from my pc (with GeForce 6800) DVI to Philips 37PF9830 DVI. When changing the resolution to 1920x1080 in the Nvidia driver it switched automatically to interlaced mode and I've seen a picture on the tv. With setting it manually to 1080p I didn't get a picture at all.

If you have an older driver or another graphic card, maybe you have to set it manually to interlaced mode.

I know someone else who tested the pc connection with an ATI 9800 Pro card. With this card he couldn't swith to 1920x1080 at all. With a notebook with ATI 9700 Mobility it worked with 1080i in the same way as with my Geforce 6800 (with overscan, no 1:1 mapping).

If it is not working with the normal graphic card driver maybe the tool powerstrip helps you to change the resolution.

I haven't tested 720p.

Regards
Ariomanus

ariomanus said:
@ArNx:

My connection was from my pc (with GeForce 6800) DVI to Philips 37PF9830 DVI. When changing the resolution to 1920x1080 in the Nvidia driver it switched automatically to interlaced mode and I've seen a picture on the tv. With setting it manually to 1080p I didn't get a picture at all.

If you have an older driver or another graphic card, maybe you have to set it manually to interlaced mode.

I know someone else who tested the pc connection with an ATI 9800 Pro card. With this card he couldn't swith to 1920x1080 at all. With a notebook with ATI 9700 Mobility it worked with 1080i in the same way as with my Geforce 6800 (with overscan, no 1:1 mapping).

If it is not working with the normal graphic card driver maybe the tool powerstrip helps you to change the resolution.

I haven't tested 720p.

Regards
Ariomanus

thanx.
I will try with mates laptop... ;)

mwpbakker said:
Hi,

Marcel

With DVI-D to VGA connection I have managed to get 1080i but only at 30 Hz (not 60 Hz). :confused:
I suspect I am using wrong lead DVI-D (dual link), Witch is digital only.
Am I right?
:confused:
Do i need DVI-I analog/digital , or DVI to Component adapter, or DVI to HDMI cable?
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
ArNx

Hey guys,

Are the connections easily accessible on the back if this set is wallmounted? Also, is it true the 37PF9830 comes with a wallmount?

Thanks a bunch

:thumbsup:

Morris Schæffer said:
Hey guys,

Are the connections easily accessible on the back if this set is wallmounted? Also, is it true the 37PF9830 comes with a wallmount?

Thanks a bunch

:thumbsup:
Yes it comes with wall bracket, same as with PF9986.
My TV is not mounted on the wall.
All conections facing down at the bottom of the screen, so i dont think you will have to strugle a lot if it wall mounted. :smashin:

Here's a quick review of the 37PF9830. I'll post a longer one if i get more time.

Received the TV last Thursday and spent lots of time with it since then.

The most impressive aspect is the PQ with DVD's. It is simply awsome. I have only had chance to try this with progressive scan at 576p as i don't have anything capable of a higher output at present. I have never experienced viewing like this before, it's just like being there, fantastic. The set does an excellent job of image processing and upscalling and the Pixel Plus software works just fine. Motion control is also good with only a very occasional and slightest hint of motion artifacts round some moving objects. Blacks look good, at least I think they do, are and there is loads of depth to the images, almost 3D.

Sky is also pretty good but as has been said elsewhere on these forums LCD's really do show up a poor signal and over compressed transmissions. Initially i was worried that the PQ was worse than my previous set, a 28" 100Hz CRT, but I upgraded my scart lead and this has helped improve the picture a lot. The picture on BBC, ITV and Sky1 etc. is now at least as good as my old CRT TV and better than I had seen in the demo I had at D&C. Can't wait for Sky HD next Spring.

The Phillips took a lot of tweaking to get the picture just right but now i have it just where i want it and is simply brilliant. I was worried that the 1080 panel resolution would make SD broadcasts look bad due to being upscaled to fit but this does not seem to be the case with the set doing an excellent job of processing the picture to fit the high resolution of the panel.

I waited a long time for this set and nearly bought the JVC instead after seing a demo in D&C but it was worth the wait and i am very pleased to have it. I have looked at many different LCD and Plasma screens over the past few months and IMHO the Philips beats the lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom