Home built AV stand

corvettez06

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bet many of you have given a thought about this idea at least once. I took it on. I thought it was easy... it was about 10 times harder than I thought it could be. Below I'll describe the plan and materials and costs (in US dollars):

pretty much a stand that would look like this:

HTML:
-------------------
|                 |
|-----------------|
|                 |
-------------------

With the receiver going on the very top, open shelf in the middle and bottom shelf for the DVD/CD player. Currently I have the middle shelf in mind to use to put the remotes when I'm not using them. Later I might get a VHS player or something new and cool there...

Materials:

3/4 inch thick 8 ft by 4 ft MDF (Medium Density Fiber) wood for the structure. Cut up into pieces (2 of 8.75" x 16", 2 of 19" x 16", one of 17.5" x 16") - $21.00
19" x 16" piece of plexiglass - $9.00
3x Rust-Oleum Hamered Metal Finish "Grey" - $15 (I used too much)
Liquid Nails glue for wood solution 1 - $6.00
Shelf pegs (set of 8) - $2.50
Super bright blue LED light bulb - $5.00

Sub-Total $58.50 + Tax (8.4%) = $63.07

What you see in the pictures is what I was trying to get. I put the plexiglass on the bottom with a LED light bulb drilled into the bottom shelf to light up the bottom edges of the plexiglass. I wired a switch and the LED to a battery holder which holds two 1.5 v AA batteries (3 v for a 2.5 rated LED lightbulb with a 3.2 v max). I sanded the plexi to make it "frosted" and looks okay but really isn't that bright. Infact my camera couldn't pick up the little faint blue glow so you can't see it unless you come here in person (Olympia, Washington, USA)! The glue doesn't hold that good so I don't recommend it, the light needed to be brighter or use 3 bulbs, the paint was sucked up by the wood and craved it, turned out a little crooked but I guess nothing is perfect.

Without further adoo... Here is the before and after pictures!

Before:
system004.jpg

After:
8e033dff.jpg

I looked online and for anything that resembles an "AV Rack/Stand" would cost 150 dollars and up for a nice looking one. This paint does look cool!

I was trying to imitate this guy for the plexi LED idea: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=942727&highlight=speaker+stands

Here is my home cinema thread if you'd like to see the rest (no i haven't updated the pics yet!): http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238421

What do you think? Drop me a line!

Ryan

Moved to stands forum :smoke:

OO never saw that forum title! :oops:

Any comments?

Nobody likes it?

sorry i dont think its very nice you can see the wellding and the wires out the back and the hamerite paint sorry :oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom