Uh, Oh, newbie question!

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I know zero about seperates as I have only ever owned an integrated amp/receiver.

I am looking to spend around 2k on a 5.1 system and wondering if it is worth considering a seperates route rather than integrated. It would be nice to go for a setup that will allow me to add another amp later for 7.1.

As I said I am a complete novice so any advice would be very welcome. Even if is 'dream on' :)

Thanks.

Do you mean £2k for the pre & power amps alone or the whole shebang inc speakers?

spiver said:
Do you mean £2k for the pre & power amps alone or the whole shebang inc speakers?

lol I did mean just the Processor and Amps, (not the whole shebang) I am aware that 2k is not a lot of budget for this on it's own but I am curious to learn the advantages of a seperates approach.

It depends upon the route you want to take new or second hand?

If new then the best bet is a Rotel 1068 and 1075 power amp. Great system. I've got the 1068 and a 985 MK ii which is pretty near identical. No auto setup but has a great sound.

Second hand i'd say buy as good a processor as you can afford and a bit less on the amp. Then later save to buy a better amp to run the Front L&R and leave the 5 channel amp to run the centre and the surround channels.

Second hand for 2k you get get a Meridian 568.2 processor which is very highly rated and a power amp like the one i've got a Rotel 985 Mk ii and then can get a more powerful amp for the stereo side at a later date.

It's really a case of read as much as you can about the processors you appear to like and go for it.

A good TAG processor is still worthwhile, but if you read on the tag forum... i'd be a little nervous if there were any problems with it.

Again could get a new Arcam AVP700 processor and a cheaper secondhand power amp.

I'm not sure how much secondhand Arcam FMJ AV8's are going for now, maybe possible to get one of them?

hope this helps to give some sort of idea on what could be available.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at those.

What would you say are the main benefits over an integrated route?

Thanks.

Upgradability, and I would say better sound but i'm biased.

Seriously, with an intergrated amp the two issues I notice are that to me they are not as good in stereo, and also when you turn the volume up on them they seem to loose a bit of punch, yes they have a lot of noise but it's just not as controlled. I think you get a lot more control going with a seperate power amp.

My perception is that with integrated systems you get more user friendly options (auto setup, loads of sound processing effects, source switching, upscaling etc. ) and more features but with seperates the sound quality is generally better for the same price as you aren't paying for those extras.

Is this an accurate assumption?

You could also take a look at arcams new processor @ 1300 - 1400

For just above £2k you could get the Denon A11XV, which is a serious piece of kit. You'd be hard pressed to find a combination of seperates that would beat the features and sound quality of this AV amp (But I'm biased as well :)). The question is what do you use it for. If a majority is movies then I think you'd be better of with an integrated system, but if you're a music freak then seperates is the way to go. Regarding upgradability, the Denon A series will be upgradable for HD sound formats, firmware, etc.

To be honest Movies is all I am interetsed in.

Docta teef said:
How the hell is a seperates at 2k a newbie question?
I would have thought spending even half the budget on a receiver would be far better than your current setup

I am a newbie to seperates. :)

I am starting to think with integrated I will be paying for a lot of stuff I won't use. I just want to know if a seperates route means I get more 'sound' for my money.

You are right I could spend less and it would be a significant improvement on what I have but I don't want to be left wishing I had gone that extra step.

I'd say, if you have got £2K to spend, then maybe go to a Sevenoak's near you and see if you can get them to let you try a home demo.
I would buy a second hand power amp, or ex-demo/used/trade-in as some shop's like to call it and then see what you like between the Arcam AVR300 and the Rotel RSP-1068.
I'm personally going to go for a 1068, as i like the look of it better than the arcam700 and IMO i dont think it will lose as much money as the arcam will.
I've had a chance to listern to both and there was no difference between the two, apart from the Arcam was £300 overpriced.
So it depends if you like the look of Arcam or Rotel better.

Then again, you could always just buy uesd gear and get a better deal altogether, which is what i am trying to hold out for...... :confused:

AngelEyes,
As this is your first seperates setup you're buying, you're going to enjoy the options you have I think.
Walk into your local Sevenoaks (www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk tyo find your local store)
Tel them your predicament (£2000 and a dream of hifi) and see what they say. Get some equipment demo'd, have a seat, cup of nice coffee and bring your fave dvd with you and see what makes your ears happy.

I've purchased from Watford & Staines stores (albeit only a few hundred) and the prices and service were great.

Bring a friend, get their opinion too.

Hope this helps.

Check out what the others in this thread and see if you can get any set up for when you get to the store.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks, I'll certainly do some window shopping and demos :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom