Reluctant Farewell To My LG RZ-42PX11

skunk123punk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it’s goodbye to my LG RZ-42PX11 Plasma. It developed the green speckles problem that got worse each day. I have only had the Plasma for 6 months so reported a fault with Comet who sent an engineer out the next day. The engineer took one look and said the PDP was on its way out and would need replacing. Two day’s later I received a letter from Comet saying that replacement parts for this model are no longer available so a repair cannot be carried out. I was asked to go to my local Comet store and arrange delivery of a new Plasma. I went to my local store and tried to arrange the delivery of a replacement LG RZ-42PX11 plasma but was told that this model is out of stock and would not be in stock for the foreseeable future, if ever. This applies to all Comet Stores not just the one I was in at the time. So reluctantly I had to select another brand/model of TV. I ended up choosing the Sagum HDD45 DLP and paying the extra £250 as this is the only model that comes close in connectivity and spec at below £2000. I know it’s not plasma but the only other Plasma I would have considered as a replacement is the Pioneer 42” @ £2499 and I was not willing to pay that much extra. I really loved my LG plasma. I used it not only for Sky/DVD viewing but also played PS2/Xbox and did a lot of browsing using the PC and was more than happy with the quality, in fact I would go as far as saying it was superb in every respect.

So it’s a sad and reluctant farewell to my LG, I just hope when I get the Sagum home it lives up to its predecessor.

hornydragon said:
whats wrong with a PE50 or similar? or even the new LG? DLP is a very different beast to plasma hope you enjoy the new purchase

Cheers horny, Comet wanted £2499 for the TH42PE50 in store and could not give me a due date for the LG42PXDV even though the web site says 2-14 days.

Comet do seem high on some of their prices.. i got my 37 PV500 from empire on the web for £1800 yet walking through comet yesterday they had a 37 PV500 with a £2900 sign on it.. surely that must of been a mistake they cant be that much more expensive can they?

cliveuk said:
Comet do seem high on some of their prices.. i got my 37 PV500 from empire on the web for £1800 yet walking through comet yesterday they had a 37 PV500 with a £2900 sign on it.. surely that must of been a mistake they cant be that much more expensive can they?

That was definately a mistake... I´ve spent 3000€ for the 37PV500 when it was just out.

You can't get a refund I suppose? You should be able to as they can't replace the goods. You can now get a 435FDE for £2k, that might suit you.

MAW said:
You can't get a refund I suppose? You should be able to as they can't replace the goods. You can now get a 435FDE for £2k, that might suit you.

Won't take PC connection though and he seems to really want that based on his previous usage and request for connections etc.

MAW said:

Maw,

Comet wanted £2499.00 in store for this model which is well outside my budget. and because six months had passed since the purchase a full refund was not an option.

Cheers

Skunk

If they can't replace like for like or give you satisfaction, they must refund you. Go to trading standards if you need to.

Got the Sagem DLP HDD45 set-up and working and well I'm blown away by the picture quality. The only issue I have is that my living room is quite small so when sat directly in front of this 45" beast the screen is very,very bright. Sat just slightly to the left or right and the picture is spot on, not a problem you come across with plasma.

I read that as saying they must replace like with like or repair it. They cannot do either of these things, so must refund at least a 'reasonable proportion' of the purchase price. In this instance I don't think it matters whether the thing was tits up at purchase or not, it's gone wrong under warranty and it's not repairable. I'd say he'd be looking at 80+% of the purchase price, you'd expect 5 years from a TV at least.

MAW said:
I read that as saying they must replace like with like or repair it. They cannot do either of these things, so must refund at least a 'reasonable proportion' of the purchase price. In this instance I don't think it matters whether the thing was tits up at purchase or not, it's gone wrong under warranty and it's not repairable. I'd say he'd be looking at 80+% of the purchase price, you'd expect 5 years from a TV at least.

Maw, Thanks for your concern but I feel comet have been more than reasonable when dealing with my fault. Even though six months had passed since my initial purchase, the store manager (who was for once giving me advice that was in my best interest) advised me that as the model of plasma was no longer available, I should take advantage to upgrade to a high def screen. In other words he would not only give me the £1449.00 I originally spent online for the LG plasma but he would allow me to purchase any TV in store and pay only the online price. After a couple of day’s research I decided upon the Sagem DLP HDD45, went back to my local Comet spoke to the manager who confirmed that I could have it for the online price of £1599.00, (In store price of £1699.00) and he also refunded my initial £19.99 online delivery charge.

It is not Comet’s fault that the two LG Plasma’s have developed faults and to be honest (from past experience with other major stores) I was expecting more of a battle to get the problem sorted. I have nothing but admiration for the way Comet have dealt with my problem and as a result would not hesitate in recommending Comet to 1st time and seasoned buyers alike.

I am pleased you are content. Your happiness was not the main reason for this post though, as you had already said you were pleased, the Sagem is a good RPTV, you should be. And LG's problems are not Comet's fault no. But they are liable for them, it's a cross retailers have to bear. Restitution is tricky in these cases, and I wish all my customers were as reasonable as you, you could have been a lot more difficult over it. The nice bit about settling without reaching the limit is that you are usually still friends at the end of it. Nobody has ever threatened to sue me, it must be hideous for all parties to get so acrimonious.

MAW said:
I am pleased you are content. Your happiness was not the main reason for this post though, as you had already said you were pleased, the Sagem is a good RPTV, you should be. And LG's problems are not Comet's fault no. But they are liable for them, it's a cross retailers have to bear. Restitution is tricky in these cases, and I wish all my customers were as reasonable as you, you could have been a lot more difficult over it. The nice bit about settling without reaching the limit is that you are usually still friends at the end of it. Nobody has ever threatened to sue me, it must be hideous for all parties to get so acrimonious.

Cheers Maw,

Point taken.

Skunk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom