Samsung 32" 1080i CRT TV ?

M

mjr600

This has appeared on the DigiUK site, slim fit CRT that states it is high definition ready.

This is not my area of expertise but it seems to tick all the boxes, CRT for the best PQ, slim so as not to take up too much space and a great price.

As an alternative to some of the LCD's about it it looks good but am I being taken in by the HD ready line ?

It doesn't have a DVI connection or the HDMI connection, so how is it HD ready ?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=5172&c=1183232&guid=&s=2&sm=

According to the specs of the HD Ready logo the Sammy does not have the right to use the label or perhaps Samsung are unaware of this and it's totally down to the retailer being naughty.

There is certainly a market for a well priced HD CRT but as always get a demo because even with normal CRT's there is a wide range of performance levels and the plus points of CRT may not translate so well to this variant especially when SD sources will have to be scaled up to 1080i as a matter of course.

It's not the first time I've seen a Samsung TV advertised as HDTV Ready, despite not having HDCP compatible inputs or 720p support. Currys were selling a Samsung "1080i HDTV Ready" labelled RPTV well before the EICTA label was announced.

My own take on this is that manufacturers had already come up with the HD Ready logo well before the EICTA standard was announced, and EICTA simply modified it to include mandatory 720p50/1080i50 support and HDCP compliance. As a result, it's possible to have a TV that appears to be HD Ready but isn't.

I have the set. It says on the set HDTV then next to that it says 1080i ready.
As it has no HDMI input it is not HD ready in the strictest sense however, it is perfectly capable of producing HD programmes via component input. So when Sky start with their first boxes it will be OK.
This is not an argument for or against just helping with the thread (hopefully) :rolleyes:

Apart from the connection issue that's a great looking TV and price for a 1080i natice CRT set - if that's the price point they enter at it will be great.

But it doesn't seem it will be ok with the Sky HD 720p services as that's not listed in the specs. 480i/480p/576i/1080i , seems it's not even PAL progressive compatible either looking at that list. I suspect Sky HD will plump for the 720p format for most broadcasts in which case you may have a problem, component or otherwise. Cracking price though! And I suppose a scaler could be used to convert 720p to 1080i (I think). It doesn't mention 50hz and 60hz as well, wonder if it's 1080i @ 50hz and 1080i @ 60hz compatible? Would be no good with Xbox 360 by the looks of it either..

Andy

There is also a very strong possibility that Sky boxes - as many HDTV boxes sold in the states do - will offer the option of outputting in a single display format and scale internally. It may thus be possible to fix the Sky box to permanently output 1080i, with 576i and 720p internally scaled... If this were the case then the Samsung may be fine.

However we won't know for sure until the Sky box is released I guess...

Surely a 1080i display can show a 720p image, much like my 720p projector can show a 1080i image. It must be able to scale if it can display 480p....

This set as two native resolutions likemost CRT HDTVs, 480p and 1080i.

480i is scaled to 480p and 720p is scaled to 1080i.

scumball said:
Surely a 1080i display can show a 720p image, much like my 720p projector can show a 1080i image. It must be able to scale if it can display 480p....

Nope - wrong to assume it is scaling to display 480p.

CRT sets usually display 480p and 1080i natively - as the line scan rates are almost identical (and thus the tubes can easily accommodate both without having to have a wide range of line scan rates) The vertical field/frame refresh rates are the same for all standards.

Line scan for:
1080/60i = 1125x30 = 33.75kHz
480/60p = 525x60 = 31.5kHz
480/60i = 525x30 = 15.75kHz
720/60p = 750x60 = 45kHz
(assuming 30Hz rather than 29.97, and assuming the standard 1125, 750 and 525 total line counts for 1080, 720 and 480 active standards!)

As you can see 1080/60i and 480/60p are very close, but 480i and 720p are all a lot different. Thus most CRT sets display 1080i and 480p natively - but have to scale or de-interlace 720p and 480i

Wow this sounds great.

Can I get this straight though, will it work with the Xbox 360.

720p will be upscaled to 1080i with no problems right?

I'm not bothered about Sky as I don't have it in the first place and don't plan on spending whatever stupid amount it is a month.

Oh and I've emailed Samsung to see what info I can get on the set. As per usual the website is outdated.

What do you think the PQ will be like? Is CRT 1080i better than LCD 1080i when it comes to PQ?

EDIT: Check out this.. sorry for the google translation:
http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Oh and an official PDF.... in french :suicide: hehe:
http://www.samsung.fr/_upload_5/EC_DOWNLOAD/0/000/541/024/WS32Z308P.pdf

It doesn't list 720p as a supported input format therefore one would have to assume that it won't work. If 720p was supported and scaled to 1080i then I'd expect it to list 720p as a valid input type. Definitely need to find the answer to that question.. oh and whether it accepts 50hz and 60hz as well.

Yep - if 720/50p and 720/60p aren't explicitly listed then you'd have to expect it NOT to cope with 720p.

If the XBox 360 can output 1080i then you might be OK - not sure I'd take the chance.

According to the French PDF file linked above, the WS32Z308P doesn't accept 720p, and it only accepts 1080i at 50Hz, which is surprising given that the scan rate for 1080i60 is very close to 480p60. 480p signal compatibility is specified on the DigiUK site, but not in the PDF.

If the PDF is correct there may be potential compatibility problems for X-Box 360 owners as it has been rumoured that X-Box games may be 60Hz only.

I think its important for you to prioritise what your needs are, then focus the display around that. IMO, focusing on games, you want a 720p display

Gaming really benefits from progressive scan. You are getting a full 720 lines of resolution every 1/60 of a second with xbox 360. I'd try and avoid interlacing it as much as possible.

I might have to use 1080i as my TV might not handle 720p. xbox 360 should be able to support this directly but it'll most likely be upscaling internally from its standard resolution of 720p

keep in mind that a lot of 1080i crt sets are not actually up to the job of displaying that resolution in any meaningful way - check out some US crt reviews to see what i mean.
still would look good, but you couldnt count that many lines if you got out your magnifying glass!

Yep - many CRTs are not capable of resolving the full 1920x1080 resolution of a 1080i broadcast. In fact I think at one point Sony were the only supplier of a TV that could resolve the full 1920 horizontal resolution - or come close to it - and this set was noticably dimmer than softer models. (It is difficult to keep a bright CRT scanning spot small - the brighter it gets, the bigger it gets usually)

CRT displays lose out to flat panel devices in some areas - like resolution and geometry - but they often win in others like brightness, dynamic range, black level and grey scale performance, and lack of dithering noise etc.

Personally I think the best CRTs still have a lot going for them - but it is also looking increasingly likely that we won't be able to buy 50Hz versions of the best CRTs, and will be forced to use LCD, DLP or Plasma technology for HD in Europe. (Thankfully they are all improving quite quickly - comparing current plasmas with those of 3 years ago they have improved hugely!)

Stephen Neal said:
... and will be forced to use LCD, DLP or Plasma technology for HD in Europe. (Thankfully they are all improving quite quickly - comparing current plasmas with those of 3 years ago they have improved hugely!)

Only problem in Europe (and certainly in this house) is that the 46" DLP I have my heart set on it too wide to fit into the gap where my current Sony 28" sits - 128 cm wide GASP! Hope they can make smaller DLP's than 46 in future.......I don't want a plasma or LCD!

H

bayards said:
Only problem in Europe (and certainly in this house) is that the 46" DLP I have my heart set on it too wide to fit into the gap where my current Sony 28" sits - 128 cm wide GASP! Hope they can make smaller DLP's than 46 in future.......I don't want a plasma or LCD!

H
Why not try the new Samsung 46" DLP (SP46L6HX), only 1083mm wide.

Id be interested to hear if anyone has tried this CRT as a PC display via the component input, even if it seems this tv isnt ideal for full hidef support and particulary 720p gaming at the price and if performance was anyway decent then its surely one cheap 32" monitor yes/no?

If someone does find anything regarding PC connectivity could we have a listing of compatible displays modes and does it really run well in 1900x1080?

wayneunique said:
Does anyone know where the 32" Samsung is in stock please?

Curry's have it and I believe Comet now have it.....

Well it's tested..

And it only works @480p with the Xbox360
Can anyone explain me why? 1080i 50hz is suported by the TV... yet with the Xbox360 it doesnt work

Man I'm ******, I first in the Portuguese site they have the TV as doing 720p, now I discover and even 1080i doesn't work. I bought this just for using with the Xbox360...

AIUI the only HD resolution supported by the above TV is 1080i @50Hz. My guess is that the 360 is outputting at 1080i @60Hz, which is why you are not getting a picture.

Is the 360 switchable between 50 and 60Hz?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom