Sony HD-5 key points/issues summarised

M

Mike_manchester

I thought I would try to summarise current key points about the Sony HD-5 for the benefit of prospective purchasers….

System requirements

I quote the “Readme” file from my installation of the supplied software,SonicStage.

"SonicStage is compatible with the following Windows operating systems:
- Windows 98 Second Edition,
- Windows Millennium Edition,
- Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 3 or later),
- Windows XP Home Edition,
- Windows XP Professional,....

...and lots of others <SNIP>"

It DOES play Mp3’s, but not as we know it Jim

Plugging an HD-5 into your pc, using the supplied cable, makes a “Removable Disk” appear in Windows Explorer, assigned with a drive letter like “G:”. You CAN drag n drop Mp3 files (or infact many types of files) to this new drive which has appeared, but when you switch the player on, your Mp3 files will NOT show or play.

The reason for this is that the supplied SonicStage software adds copy protection to each Mp3 it transfers across to the player – this copy protection process takes about 1 second per track transferred and manifests itself as the track being renamed from a “.mp3” file to a “.OMA” file which the player can then recognise and play. Sound quality is not affected and the file does not significantly increase in size , but the copy protection data added to each track allows SonicStage to track and control its usage in terms of being transferrd to other players and PC’s.

In order to succesfully transfer music files to an HD-5 you MUST use either Sonicstage or the “Sony Vaio Music Transfer” drag n drop program which is not supplied, but is available on the internet. At this time NO OTHER software will transfer music to the HD-5, although you can use other software to initially rip, tag and sort your music prior to transfer.

Sound quality
It is widely noted that the HD-5 has greater bass output than the i-pod. Sound quality is adjustable for Bass and Treble only when playing back Mp3’s. Graphic equaliser functions are available when playing back ATRAC encoded files. ( Oh, Sony, Sony, Sony… will you just get this ATRAC chip off your shoulder…

Remotes
Many of the Sony CD walkman and mini-disc remotes are compatable with the HD-5, in terms of controlling basic playback and functions. Full functionality is obtainable using a remote designed for a HI-minidisc. RM-MC40ELK and RM-MC35ELK are the best / most popular remotes to use

Follow turn screen feature
Contrary to Sony advertising, the screen only orientates itself automatically when you first power up the player – it then stays oriented that way till you next power off and on

volume hack
European models have the maximum volume level restricted, because of EU legislation designed to prevent hearing damage. It is possible to lift that restriction by entering the service menu and changing the setting. This change does no harm to the player - it simply sets the max volume level to be the same as players shipped to other parts of the world. The restrictions can be put back on again, if desired, by following the procedure a second time.

Cracked buttons.
The novel cross type keypad used on the HD-5 seems to develop hairline stress cracks in the centre where the buttons meet. This does not affect the operation of the player and Sony appear to be aware of the problem and are currently investigating it. At this time, there is no indication from Sony of how this will be resolved, although they are prepared to exchange / repair units that have developed cracks

If anyone can add to this guide or point out errors / ommissions, then please do

Mike

is the cracked buttons problem not just limited to the silver hd5...?

L11 said:

Apparently not, but it can be harder to see the cracks on other colours, it seems.

Mike_manchester said:
Apparently not, but it can be harder to see the cracks on other colours, it seems.
like thats gonna make your wallet any happier :rolleyes:

hi!

10x for this summarization, this is exactly what i was searching for! :)

just two additional questions:

1) I can use the HD-5 as a mass storage device, on any windows XP/2000 without using any additional drivers, right? Just plug and play?
2) Does only renaming the .mp3 files to .oma will make them recognised by the player? and if not, isn't there any illegal firmware patch which makes the player recognise .mp3 ?

10x!!

Mike_manchester said:
Remotes
Many of the Sony CD walkman and mini-disc remotes are compatable with the HD-5, in terms of controlling basic playback and functions. Full functionality is obtainable using a remote designed for a HI-minidisc. RM-MC40ELK and RM-MC35ELK are the best / most popular remotes to use

Mike

R u sure that the mc35 is fully compatible??? I haven't really understood if the 35 is really ok with the Hd5 in all of its functions.

simple-screen said:
hi!

10x for this summarization, this is exactly what i was searching for! :)

just two additional questions:

1) I can use the HD-5 as a mass storage device, on any windows XP/2000 without using any additional drivers, right? Just plug and play?
2) Does only renaming the .mp3 files to .oma will make them recognised by the player? and if not, isn't there any illegal firmware patch which makes the player recognise .mp3 ?

10x!!

1) Dont know - when you install Sonicstage, it certainly installs drivers, BUT i have a feeling that when i got my HD-5, i just plugged it in before installing Sonicstage and it appeared as a drive - i could be wrong on this tho

2) No - tried that - it doesnt work. There are not yet any firmware patches, illegal or official.

17mika said:
R u sure that the mc35 is fully compatible??? I haven't really understood if the 35 is really ok with the Hd5 in all of its functions.

Dont know - i have heard it mentioned on here that is is, but i stand to be corrected. Certainly the 40 is fully compatable and i was under the impression that the 35 is the same as the 40, but with less functions.

17mika said:

I've got it (came with my DNE10 Atrac CD) - works 'cept no display.

LFC_SL said:
I've got it (came with my DNE10 Atrac CD) - works 'cept no display.

Thanks 4 the info :)

no information at all on the display??? do you think it's anyway useful??
I'm thinking of buying a remote 4 the Hd5 that 'im gonna buy, and this is a lot cheaper and better looking that the mc40

simple-screen said:
I can use the HD-5 as a mass storage device, on any windows XP/2000 without using any additional drivers, right? Just plug and play?

you got it. plug it into anyones computer and transfer away. Already tried it with 2 pcs that had no ss installed ever.

L11 said:

Red and black have also been reported cracked. Silver HD5H (30GB) with BLACK buttons has not, AFAIK, been reported cracked YET!!

You said the the HD5, only orients itself when the player is turned on, but when i use mine, when i go to orientation, if I switch to another mode, then back to auto it goes to the correct setting. Though my HD5 is from japan, and has Japanese 1.2 firmware, I'd think this would apply to all HD5's, or maybe the US/EU 1.2 is different, I don't know offhand.

-Sulk

I think he means that people originally thought that the hd5 would orient itself to your movements when you move it, so if it was on and you flipped it 180 it would change without you having to turn it on and off or change the setting to that way. And yes all the hd5/hs have a setting to change it in the options menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom