Hitachi 7200 picture settings

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got these using the avia disc.

Contrast +12 (after sufficient running-in)
Brightness +3
Colour 0 (my own setting, I don't have any filters to set it properly)
And most importantly, IMO,
Sharpness -12

The sharpness setting makes a big difference :thumbsup:
The disc says the picture may seem a little soft, but advises you leave it for a week, to get used to it.
I have to say small detail is definitely clearer to my eyes and it's not soft either.

No auto settings and picture set to natural with cool colour temp.

My Sharpness is currently set to 15, but I do play around with it, since as you say, it does make all the difference.

Mine was set high, same as you.
Give those settings a go, mate and let me know what you think.

Doh, meant to say mine is -15, but I fleet between -15 and -8.

My settings currently are:

Picture Mode = Natural
Contrast = +1
Brightness = +7 (during day), +3 (during night)
Color = -5
Sharpness = -15 (i.e. Off)
Tint = 0
Color Temperature = Normal
Contrast Mode = Normal
YNR = Off
CNR = Off
Film Mode = Off
PAL Comb Filter = Off
LTI = Off
CTI = Off
Black Enhancement = Off
Auto Color = Off
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Green = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Green = 0
Color Management->Magenta = 30
Color Management->Red = 30
Color Management->Yellow = 28
Color Management->Green = 27
Color Management->Cyan = 35
Color Management->Blue = 36
Color Decoder: Red = +32
Color Decoder: Green = +43
Color Decoder: Color = -5
Color Decoder: Tint = 0

The colours are in the colour decoder part, i think ,rgb ,go to b which gives you the blue filter then adjust colour and hue from there.

Yes, I liked those :smashin: (I saw them before).
Esp the colour settings.
I think the red is too strong in default, but I'm still playing.
I'd recommend the Avia disc, even though you can only do basic settings.
Did you try those settings ???

neilios said:
The colours are in the colour decoder part, i think ,rgb ,go to b which gives you the blue filter then adjust colour and hue from there.

I didn't know that.

Cheers :clap:

Lol neither did i to begin with ,i spent ages looking a pair of blue sunglasses ,found some red ones ,then started fiddling again and it suddenly dawned on me why it went blue hehe .
:rotfl:

Bleeders said:
Doh, meant to say mine is -15, but I fleet between -15 and -8.

My settings currently are:

Picture Mode = Natural
Contrast = +1
Brightness = +7 (during day), +3 (during night)
Color = -5
Sharpness = -15 (i.e. Off)
Tint = 0
Color Temperature = Normal
Contrast Mode = Normal
YNR = Off
CNR = Off
Film Mode = Off
PAL Comb Filter = Off
LTI = Off
CTI = Off
Black Enhancement = Off
Auto Color = Off
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Amplitude: Green = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Red = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Blue = 0
Color Temperature->Cut Off: Green = 0
Color Management->Magenta = 30
Color Management->Red = 30
Color Management->Yellow = 28
Color Management->Green = 27
Color Management->Cyan = 35
Color Management->Blue = 36
Color Decoder: Red = +32
Color Decoder: Green = +43
Color Decoder: Color = -5
Color Decoder: Tint = 0

Hi,

I've tried these settings on my 42PD5200 and I have to say it's the best picture I've ever seen on my plasma - 3D, colourful, cinematic. I left everything except sharpness, which is now at 0. Thanks! :smashin:

Petr

No probs, Neilos posted them originally and they are the settings outside of ISF calibration, that produce a superb picture!

The Incredibles looked... incredible! In fact, most of the Pixar collection looks stunning on my PD7200.

EDIT - I've not tried with the Sharpness set to 0 though, is there a noticable difference?

Yes indeed there is. Sharpnes set to -15 produces softer, slightly out of focus image , which lacks fine detail IMO when viewed from 6-9ft distance. I'd recommend the setting between -7 and 0, as higher numbers add noise and unwanted borders around (mostly vertical) objects (ghosting?). It's up to everybody's taste, of course :)

Petr

That's about the distance I am from my panel.

Ta' for that, I'll certainly give that a try tonight.

Okay, give it a try and let me know ;)

Sorry I forgot to describe my setup - DENON 2900 progressive via component to AV1

Cheers

Petr

I tried setting the Sharpness to 0 last-night, although admittedly I didn't get a chance to try out a DVD, but Sky+ seemed sharper when the quality was good. However, when the broadcast quality suffered, there was a little more noise than usual.

Yes that's what I'd expect. The main goal IMO is to find the right balance between sharpness and noise - the higher quality source, the higher setting is allowed, but better not beyond 0. BTW, I've played with the BLACK ENHANCEMENT last night and finally left it to LOW - the picture is now more 3D overall, although some detail in the dark areas is slightly reduced. Will play again ASAP (it never ends ;))

Petr

That's okay then, I'll have a further play tonight with a DVD, usually The Incredibles is a good source DVD to test any changes IMO. XD

Hi all, why do you leave all digital enhancements off?

I haven't been able to test it on 7200 series, but when tested on a 37PD5200
I've noticed that when YNR and CNR are set to OFF probability of having the awful "face-off" effect increases. I mean, when displaying faces in fast motion you get an unnatural grey effect that is reduced considerabily when turning YNR and CNR.

Settings I tried were:

YNR: High
CNR: Low (increasing it could reduced that effect on skins, but will corrupt the color of one-color surfaces with different lighting)

LTI and CTI are set to Low, but I am not sure that helps.

What do you think about YNR, CNR, LTI, CTI? Does "film mode" helps somehow?

Thanks

-m

The Incredibles will probably look really incredible, as will all animated movies (you'd probably appreciate the BE here). But if you'd really like to test the quality of the plasma, you need normal DVD. From what I've seen so far the best picture has I Robot - almost no noise, amazing colours - simply beautiful. I believe there are more good picture DVDs out there in the wild - maybe somebody know some? ;)

Petr

maltese said:

I've noticed that when YNR and CNR are set to OFF probability of having the awful "face-off" effect increases. I mean, when displaying faces in fast motion you get an unnatural grey effect that is reduced considerabily when turning YNR and CNR.

Settings I tried were:

CNR: Low (increasing it could reduced that effect on skins, but will corrupt the color of one-color surfaces with different lighting)

Thanks

-m

Well TBH I've tried these too (albeit rather shortly), but without any evident effect to the picture - more specifically, the changes were so subtle that I couldn't decide what's the best setting. Regarding the FILM MODE however, I have this field grayed out all the time (don't know why :confused: ) so no try yet...

I watched return of the jedi and that looked pretty cool ,heat looked crap but i think thats the poor transfer ,im just watching the superbit of spiderman 2 and that looks very good .
On another note can anyone recommend a decent dvd player for this plasma i currently have a sigmatek 100 quid player would i see any difference with a player in the 400 - 1000 range eg arcam ,denon or pioneer or am i just wasting my money . :thumbsup:

One thing that a good plasma will show up, is dodgy transfers and I agree with neilios, Heat's transfer is pretty woeful IMO.

Neilios - I'm using a Denon 500SD DVD Player with SS and that gives me a fantastic picture and has been given great marks elsewhere.

neilios said:
I watched return of the jedi and that looked pretty cool ,heat looked crap but i think thats the poor transfer ,im just watching the superbit of spiderman 2 and that looks very good .
On another note can anyone recommend a decent dvd player for this plasma i currently have a sigmatek 100 quid player would i see any difference with a player in the 400 - 1000 range eg arcam ,denon or pioneer or am i just wasting my money . :thumbsup:

I've got a JVC XV-N316S, which in fact it a cheap one (less than 150). I bought it cause it can play DivX discs and it has a Component Progressive Output. The most important difference I've noticed it is when you turn on the Progresive Output. It looks really cinematic and gives superb PQ (I also watched recently "the return of the jedi" remastered edition and looked really great).

So I think what you have to look for is the best output signal you can find. Component progressive output will be the best you will find in standard players. There are good and cheap DVD players with that feature.

In my opinion, looking for a higher model will only be justified if you get a DVI or HDMI ouput, wich it is supposed to give the best picture quality, but to be honest, I must admit I haven't tried them.

-m

maltese said:

Settings I tried were:

Thanks

-m

I'm not sure which one it was, but one of them enabled gave me a green mist on certain scenes when watching DVD's. It was only when I fiddled with the settings neilios originally posted that this green mist disappeared, well, I haven't seen it since anyway.

Hmm i dont know what to do ,the missus said she has some peps to cash in and suggested buying an amp and some speakers and a dvd player to go with the telly .
Now ive made up my mind on the amp and speakers front ,its just the dvd player thats bugging me ,its run from component now and to be honest gives an excellent pic in my eyes .
It was funny when the missus said lets get an amp and that ,when i showed her the setup i wanted she wasnt amused :nono: :nono: lol.

I watched copland last night and thats a very good transfer and pic .

neilios said:

I'd recommend you to visit http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_video_players.html, you can find there the tests of even so cheap DVD players

Petr

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom