Just Seen: The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse

Geordie Jester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just watched this last night. Fantastic stuff.

I am a big fan of the TV series, and in many ways the movie requires that of the audience. It is really hard to say how the movie will be viewed by someone that hasn't seen the series. I think it would just about hang together, but the brief cameos by some of the popular characters might seem a little odd and out of place.

They got the blend just right. A bit of Royston Vasey for the fans. A bit of the real world storyline. And then some completely new characters to keep it interesting. Great stuff. I did like the fact that they took 3 unexpected choices of characters as the main ones.

There was a lot of scope for this film to be a bit lame, but they did really well. One big area that kept the interest for the audience was the weaving in of the medieval storyline.

What did everyone else think of it ?

Overall 8.5/10

This is an encouraging review from another fan. I'll look forward to seeing it if it makes it to NZ.

Ditto to the first post. Loved it, but can see it leaving the casual viewer a bit baffled.

Fans of the show however should enjoy every minute.

David Warner is superb! :smashin:

Has there been any rumours about the future ? Reckon a second film could happen ? Another TV series ?

The film made me realise how much I had missed it !

Apparently the BBC are "pushing" for another TV series. Pity they missed the boat on financing the film. :rolleyes:

Love league of gentleman, but I think this looks awful from what ive seen of the trailer, would you still recommend it?

Got to say, I really enjoyed it.

Much better than the "fictional characters break into the real world" premiss would suggest.

If you liked the TV series you'll like the film.

And the Ray Harryhausen style stop motion is fantastic. Much better than the wall to wall CGI nonsense you get these days!

CrispyXUK said:
Love league of gentleman, but I think this looks awful from what ive seen of the trailer, would you still recommend it?

I had the same concerns Crispy, but thought it was great. definately recommend you go and see it

Possibly the worst film i've ever seen, 20 people in a nice big cinema, in 1hr 30, I can only recall hearing people laugh at two points in the film, save your money and go see star wars or something. Nothing like the series, completely weird, it seems like a desperate money making film to me highly disappointing.

Tom.

Nothing like the series, completely weird...
Er, like the series wasn't weird? :confused:
...it seems like a desperate money making film to me...
...save your money and go see star wars or something.
Oh dear. Making a film to make money from it. Shame on them. Whereas of course "Star Wars" as we all know is conceived as a loss-making enterprise...

Don't you think though that if this was in fact "...a desperate money making film..." that they would have made it exactly like the series, rather than risk such a departure from previous incarnations of Royston Vasey?
...20 people in a nice big cinema, in 1hr 30, I can only recall hearing people laugh at two points in the film...
What a miserable bunch of t**ts they were then. :D

I was in a cinema with a few hundred people that laughed all the way through.

Admittedly it was a local cinema for local people...

Saw it on Saturday and thought they did a good job with the story and characters.

I'm undecided.
Wasnt anywhere near as funny or sick as the series. But as a film is wasnt too shabby, with a few funny bits and memorable quotes that will keep me happy.

I'm a huge fan of the TV series, but I have to say I thought the film was absolutely awful. The writing seemed rushed and unpolished, the jokes were few and far between and unfunny, it all just seemed cobbled together.

Hugely dissapointed as I'd been looking forward to this for ages.

Is Pop's in teh movie??

I liked the movie too. Not enough to go see it twelvety times though...
Unfortunately, 'Pop' is not in it. "Whatama thinkin' about..."

Definitely go see if you liked the series :smashin:

[PAULINE] "... I had a cock sprayed on my door last week...." :rotfl:

Saw it at the weekend and loved it ... superb writing by the boys, clever plot and superb attention to detail. Didn't want it to end.

Heres to a new series ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom