Panasonic S97

Biglad_UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just ordered my plasma, Panny PW7, with a DVI Board and want a DVD to hook up to it.

From what I have read the Panny S97 would be perfect ( perfect price and well regarded ) but I can't find one anywhere in stock and it's now discontiued I guess I never will.

So my questions for floor is do you know were I can get one or something that will do the job for the same price.

Thanks

Simon

Why did you get the DVI board? The S97 has the HDMI output. Just wondering.

ripclaw said:
Why did you get the DVI board? The S97 has the HDMI output. Just wondering.

Baically because the plamsa panel has not ability to output sound so using a HDMI board would give me no benefit over DVI plus I have several MAC's that all have DVI out and can utilies this input.

The DVD player ( as far as I know ) has both HDMI and DVI but either way I can just get a HDMI to DVI cable.

I guess this is point when some says "Simon you idiot, thats not right at all " :oops:

He could buy a dvi to hdmi lead.

The player dosen't have DVI & HDMI output at all...just HDMI. But as you said, you could get an HDMI - DVI cable. (That's what I've done connecting my S97 to my HS10 PJ). However, I think you will have problems getting the PW7 to output anything upscaled to 720p/1080i in 50hz as it isn't HDCP compliant...

I purchased the Panasonic DVD-S97 (Excellent machine) today from Richersounds, Romford and they have two left.

Thanks for your help guys. Ended up getting the Sammy DVD-HD945.

Sounds great with the bennefit of DIVX :)

lalgulab786 said:
I purchased the Panasonic DVD-S97 (Excellent machine) today from Richersounds, Romford and they have two left.

Well just when I though it was all over I checked my order status on the pixamania website to discover the DVD player I bought on Thursday with 10 in stock were now showing out of stock and my order was going to be longer then 10 days to do so I'm just off to richer sounds to pick up a multiregion S97. Thanks Lalgulab :clap: :hiya:

I can't work out if I want to get the DVI-D or the HDMI terminal board for my new Panny PWD7 to take the S97.

I know my panel is not HD ready but wondered which option you guys think I should go with

It dosen't matter mate - neither will display 720p/1080i at 50hz. I'd reccomend getting a component board instead and use the component outputs on the S97 and display a progressive picture.
I MAY be wrong here, but I had a terrible time trying to get a PW7 to display 720p @ 50hz via an Iscan HD - it may be different coming direct from the S97, but I doubt it.

Family Guy said:
The player dosen't have DVI & HDMI output at all...just HDMI. But as you said, you could get an HDMI - DVI cable. (That's what I've done connecting my S97 to my HS10 PJ). However, I think you will have problems getting the PW7 to output anything upscaled to 720p/1080i in 50hz as it isn't HDCP compliant...
Sorry Bri but the DVi board is HDCP its 50Hz it cant handle so 50Hz disc wont work upscaled to 720p or 1080i the DVi board and HDMI only take 576p @ 50Hz, would be better off with a DV89 and component input PQ wise tho

hornydragon said:
Sorry Bri but the DVi board is HDCP its 50Hz it cant handle so 50Hz disc wont work upscaled to 720p or 1080i the DVi board and HDMI only take 576p @ 50Hz, would be better off with a DV89 and component input PQ wise tho

Family Guy said:
It dosen't matter mate - neither will display 720p/1080i at 50hz. I'd reccomend getting a component board instead and use the component outputs on the S97 and display a progressive picture.

;) :thumbsup:

hornydragon said:

Well if Componet is going to achive better PQ then DVI or HDMI then I've just wasted £169 on the S97 as it's best feature was the HDMI out.

What do you guys sugguest I get as a Source instead ? Perhaps a pioneer 575 ? This would save me some cash.

How much better is the component input going to be over DVI/HMDI ? Bearing in mind I am currently running Sky+ off a scart and have made no changes to the screen and think it looks brilliant. :thumbsup:

Biglad_UK said:
Well if Componet is going to achive better PQ then DVI or HDMI then I've just wasted £169 on the S97 as it's best feature was the HDMI out.

What do you guys sugguest I get as a Source instead ? Perhaps a pioneer 575 ? This would save me some cash.

How much better is the component input going to be over DVI/HMDI ? Bearing in mind I am currently running Sky+ off a scart and have made no changes to the screen and think it looks brilliant. :thumbsup:

Hi Biglad,
Having tried out both component and HDMI inputs on my Hitachi and Panasonic, I favour the HDMI, very little in it, but a difference. BTW, I'm using VDH connecting cables.
I would not consider replacing the Panasonic, its well built, has an extensive picture and audio menu to assist with fine tunning to your taste. Plus a superb picture.

Choices, choices, best of luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lalgulab786 said:
Hi Biglad,
Having tried out both component and HDMI inputs on my Hitachi and Panasonic, I favour the HDMI, very little in it, but a difference. BTW, I'm using VDH connecting cables.
I would not consider replacing the Panasonic, its well built, has an extensive picture and audio menu to assist with fine tunning to your taste. Plus a superb picture.

Choices, choices, best of luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks man.

I know the more experienced guys say component on my PWD7 but how can a signal thats converted to analogue before it reaches the screen be better then a pure digital one.

I know my panel is not HD but there again it only cost me a little over a grand and came with a 3 year warranty so I'm sure the picture will be brilliant.

Just ordered my HDMI terminal board and am looking forward to hooking it up.

I'll report back with my opinions on the picture

Si

Biglad_UK said:
Thanks man.

I know the more experienced guys say component on my PWD7 but how can a signal thats converted to analogue before it reaches the screen be better then a pure digital one.

I know my panel is not HD but there again it only cost me a little over a grand and came with a 3 year warranty so I'm sure the picture will be brilliant.

Just ordered my HDMI terminal board and am looking forward to hooking it up.

I'll report back with my opinions on the picture

Si
I didn't say the component would be better...I did suggest though that you won't be able to utilise the upscaled "hi-def" features on Pal discs via HDMI. You will not be able to view discs in 720p/1080i - just 480p/576p...exactly the same as you can via the component inputs. You will also now need to buy more inputs if you want to view Sky/play video games - whereas if you brought the component board, you could have fed everything into your amp then out via one set of component cables into the plasma. You'll now find you'll have to have (at least) 2 cables running to the plasma. But hey, if you can live with that... :smashin:

I'll also suggest that you'll find very little if any difference between HDMI and component on a SD screen....running at 480p/576p.

Family Guy said:
I didn't say the component would be better...I did suggest though that you won't be able to utilise the upscaled "hi-def" features on Pal discs via HDMI. You will not be able to view discs in 720p/1080i - just 480p/576p...exactly the same as you can via the component inputs. You will also now need to buy more inputs if you want to view Sky/play video games - whereas if you brought the component board, you could have fed everything into your amp then out via one set of component cables into the plasma. You'll now find you'll have to have (at least) 2 cables running to the plasma. But hey, if you can live with that... :smashin:

I'll also suggest that you'll find very little if any difference between HDMI and component on a SD screen....running at 480p/576p.

Ok, Now I understand, sorry for not getting it first time.

It's a very good point about just getting one cable to the screen and definatley not one I had considered.

I only have two sources and the plasma came with a scart terminal board so guess having the extra single HDMI cable won't be a problem using my alphason stand.

I guess this screen was really only a stop gap between now and when the PW8 is released/reduced down to something manageable so lets hope the HDMI Terminal board will slot straight in to it.

Thanks for all your input.

Your points have been very helpful

I will say that if you spent £300-£350 on a secondhand Arccam DV88+ or Denon DV2900 you will get a better PQ, HDMI is all marketing its designed to protect content for Hollywood not improve PQ for consumers, the BEst way to feed a PW6/7 is 720p on RGBHV component is a close second

hornydragon said:
I will say that if you spent £300-£350 on a secondhand Arccam DV88+ or Denon DV2900 you will get a better PQ, HDMI is all marketing its designed to protect content for Hollywood not improve PQ for consumers, the BEst way to feed a PW6/7 is 720p on RGBHV component is a close second
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that. The PW7 will accept 720p through it's VGA socket as well...so if you can source a HDMI - VGA converter, that would work at 50 hz IIRC...my PW6 does.

Family Guy said:
Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that. The PW7 will accept 720p through it's VGA socket as well...so if you can source a HDMI - VGA converter, that would work at 50 hz IIRC...my PW6 does.

How does that work?

I am currently thinking of buying the S97 myself and have both DVI and VGA sockets free on my PW7....

Have you seen a HDMI - VGA converter you could link to please?

Many Thanks
Shai

I have a DVDS97EBS that I am very pleased with running via RGB to an old SONY CRT, but have lost my manual! A new Panny PV500 is arriving next week and I have been going nuts trying to find a PDF of the manual on the web so I can look up component and HDMI connections. I can get a German one but not an English one. Anyone know of a link where I can find one? :lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom