50+ inch plasma choices - what am I to do?

D

d.brophy

I'm about to spend ~£4k on a HD ready plasma. Reading the homecinemachoice reviews, it's a choice between the Hitachi 55PMA550E and the Pioneer PDP504HDE.

I don't need a tuner or speakers, so it looks like they're pretty evenly matched. Has anyone here seen them side-by-side?

The reviews say that the Hitachi suffers a little when viewing a poor-quality source – I'm going to be mainly watching Sky broadcasts, so I'm a bit worried about this point.

Are there any other 50”+ screens to watch out for that haven't featured in the reviews yet?

Might be over your budget but the new Fujitsu P50XHA40 should be on your shortlist and with it's AVM-II processing should make a good job at making Sky watchable...but always trust your own eyes and get some demo's and forget the reviews.

Cheers, Lee

You should make sure you get one supporting High-Definition TV, as I was also looking at 50-60" plasma's!

Well the Fujitsu will support 720p & 1080i at both 50Hz and 60Hz over it's HDMI input which by definition is HDCP compliant but the jury is still out on whether it will support it's native resolution over it's DVI input, which is not HDCP compliant, at either 50Hz, 60Hz or 75Hz.

So you should be fine for SkyHD or BluRay/HD-DVD but how it will work with external scalers is still to be seen.

Cheers, Lee

I've seen the Hitachi and Pioneer 505XDE side-by-side, and spent well over an hour comparing Sky, DVD, and a high-definition demo.

The Hitachi was much better in every way, simple. And on all sources. And there wasn't much in the viewing distance at all. To be honest, it took me completely by surprise, especially as I've seen the Fujitsu 55" incarnation and it was nowhere near as good as the Hitachi! Everybody who was there was in complete agreement, the signals were top quality and identical, and we spent half an hour adjusting the Pioneer's settings and disabling features to no avail.

The new 50" plasmas from Panasonic and Sony TVs would be contenders (I myself plan on choosing from these two, but if I had the space and my sofa wasn't so close, the Hitachi would be mighty tempting at its bargain price), and maybe something based on the soon-to-be released Samsung panel (10000:1 contrast ratio take your fancy?).

Seen as you don't need a tuner or speakers - you can pick from any 50" 'business' panel you like - Panasonic, Pioneer & Nec are the big boys, but all I have experience of is the TVs.

you should definatly have a look at the P50XHA40 Fujitsu.....£4,500 but your deaaler will probably throw a few extras in (mount etc) the best 50" i have seen so far.........and there will always be something cheaper and better around the corner....

Always see for yourself man

I have seen the Pio - - its terrible so i dont know what planet the reviewers were on...the Hitachi I have seen too... and it's good but not special and Alis screen is so weird.

So, Horny is as always so right - you must demo the very special Fujitsu 40US under good conditions - if ya can find a dealer wiv it in stock right now.

Dil

Hi,

I'm facing a similar decision. Want to get a 50"ish plasma display. Really don't want to spend more than 4k and preferably less, possibly even if that means just 42".

The Hitachi is of interest but does anyone know where you can get it for £4000 or less? A quick internet search seemed to think that £4750 was the best price.

Just seen the Fujitsu FUJITSU P50XHA40ES for £3,419.00 [inc VAT]

is that good?

Rich

Looks to me like the ES is the euro version... Are they the same panel except for that?

yep thats the one, just spoke to them, in stock price is right.
Delivery 3 to 4 days.

Anyone used them before?

Rich

Be very careful on the inputs front. That's a cracking deal - probably £800 less than I paid for my "US" version. However, i know from conversations with Fujitsu and from reading the manual that the ES version is much less versatile in terms of set-up. Many of the menu options that are user-configureable on a US are locked out.
Check that it has hdcp compatible hdmi, non hdcp dvi, 2x component inputs, S, composite and others.

When I spoke to Liam at Progressive he did tell me not to touch the ES model ..way below spec. to the US model - but i cant remember how much of a difference and why!

Give him a buzz.

Dil

OK - so we have an opinion from someone who has put the Hitachi & Pioneer side by side. We also have opinions on the quality of the Fujitsu (US version at least).

Has anyone put the Fujitsu alongside the Hitachi or Pioneer or even all 3 together? Or is the Fujitsu such an advance that it wouldn't be necessary... :rolleyes:

Not side by side mate but i have seen the Hitachi and Pio side by side and the 50" pio is only OK for this price level face it - dark, low contrast and warts everywhere. Hitachi is better.

Now onto the really interesting thing: There are not many dealers who have the new Fuji 40 as Fuji have realigned their entire dealer base and only deal with "custom installers and such" (I been told by Fuji) so not many places to demo or compare..It's not a Comet product basically and online retailers are not even in the loop (zero warranty if bought online). But my absolute faith in a few expert retailers and installers here who have it and love it...tells me everything i need to know so I bought blind.

I dont expect to be shocked so yeps its way advanced on the Hit and Pio.

Superpixel..I am assumng you demoed the 30 series not the 40 series Fuji 55"...??

Regards

Dil

Hi Rich

Liam at Progressive AV mate..check him out as he has a few coming in and his knowledge and set up and install abilites are legendary. I paid top whack but you may get it cheaper elsewhere as Pat Marcus did - I'm happy to pay the extra just to chat to Liam when he is moolahed!!

Sorry it has to be the Pio for me, beet the Fuji & Panny handsdown! (not compared against The Hitatchi?)

Connectivity, PQ, Looks & price!! Got to be the No.1 50" screen on the market today?

My view anyway & it's all about personal preferences!!

Cwhelan said:
Sorry it has to be the Pio for me, beet the Fuji & Panny handsdown! (not compared against The Hitatchi?)

Connectivity, PQ, Looks & price!! Got to be the No.1 50" screen on the market today?

My view anyway & it's all about personal preferences!!

Did you compare against the 30 series fujitsu or the 40 series.

I have finally seen the Pio 50" and the Fujistsu side by side (1000km away in Sydney!) displaying StdDef Aussie rules footy. The Fujitsu 40 series was WAY WAY better. This killed my waning love of the Pio. If I go plasma over the Sharp 45" LCD, it will be the 50" Fujitsu.

My rule of thumb has been to see how the screen performs with crap inputs, you can be pretty sure these HD screens will be brilliant with good sources.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom