laptop on a 435xde

deanym

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Tried to play an HD trailer through my laptop to the xde screen. However, even though the plasma displayed the screen perfect, when it came to playing the trailer, the area in the player where the film would be was just black, but on the laptop screen played fine. Everything else is okay, I can browse the net etc but when trying to play back movie files etc just a black blank gap where the feature should be. :confused:

The laptop has a widescreen display but only displayed on the plasma as 4:3, as a consequence, when the HD trailer plays on the laptop it always plays perfect resolution, regardless of the laptop display settings, therefore when it reaches the plasma, its trying to force a 16:9 ratio into 4:3. Either the laptop can't cope or the plasma can't. :rolleyes:

I'm using the std vga connection (i think?)

Any ideas? :)

Cheers

It is probably the refresh rate you are sending to the plasma that it cant cope with. I have the same prob when sending it to a regular TV, I have to set the refesh at 60hz, just try different rates, see the plasma manual for supported rates.

You may also have the switch display with your laptop, usually Fn key + F5

deanym said:
Tried to play an HD trailer through my laptop to the xde screen. However, even though the plasma displayed the screen perfect, when it came to playing the trailer, the area in the player where the film would be was just black, but on the laptop screen played fine. Everything else is okay, I can browse the net etc but when trying to play back movie files etc just a black blank gap where the feature should be. :confused:

Cheers

This is always a problem when connecting devices to the VGA output of the laptop.
There is a function-key which will toggle the movie on and off on VGA output. I cant remember exactly what it is but it is something like holding down a blue "FN" key and then pressing "F7" ????
Not sure exactly.... there should be a blue symbol on one of your function-keys which looks like a monitor. Try pressing the key-combination a few times.

Brendan

Cheers guys,

I'll give both those a try later on. I'll let you know how I get on.

wat software u using to play the movie?
i know that on theatertek it only displays on the primary monitor
so if u put ure panel as primary it should output fine

I tried, media player and realplayer, what you say may make sense - I'm not sure which screen had priority.

Some software will play a movie file on 2 monitors, so you can drag the window from your lappy screen over to the plasma and it will work fine.
Others however need to be played on the primary monitor.
All you need to do is change the plasma to be the primary monitor, then it will work fine :)

Thanks for all the good advice chaps, will try it tonight.

I tried all of the above but none of it seemed to work. I then had a look at the advanced settings in the display settings and set something or other different on the graphics card. Started working a treat. :smashin:

Thanks for the adivice though guys. :)

deanym said:

The laptop has a widescreen display but only displayed on the plasma as 4:3, as a consequence, when the HD trailer plays on the laptop it always plays perfect resolution, regardless of the laptop display settings, therefore when it reaches the plasma, its trying to force a 16:9 ratio into 4:3. Either the laptop can't cope or the plasma can't. :rolleyes:

I'm using the std vga connection (i think?)

Any ideas? :)

Cheers

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CONNECT LAPTOP/RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR DESKTOP /PROPERTIES/SETTINGS/ADVANCED/DISPLAYS /ENABLE TV AND TRY DIFFERENT SETTINGS (ITS YOUR LAPTOP THAT NEEDS ADJUSTING)

Another area to look at on the notebook is in the display properties. As you have said you have a laptop image on the Plasma, but the video does not appear external to the notebook. This is all down to the overlay controls which you sould find in the advanced properties of the video adapter. If you have an nVidia controller and are using WinXP then follow the instructions below:-

Right-click desktop and selected Properties
Choose the Settings tab and select Advanced
Select the Overlay Controls tab and then select Video Mirror Controls button
In Video Mirror Controls choose your Full Screen Device and apply all changes.

This should now work. Alternatively run the notebook so that it is switched to external only and not Internal/Dual Display - on Toshiba notebooks this can be achieved by pressing the 'Fn+F5' key combo a couple of times.

Good luck

MarkF said:
Another area to look at on the notebook is in the display properties. As you have said you have a laptop image on the Plasma, but the video does not appear external to the notebook. This is all down to the overlay controls which you sould find in the advanced properties of the video adapter. If you have an nVidia controller and are using WinXP then follow the instructions below:-

Right-click desktop and selected Properties
Choose the Settings tab and select Advanced
Select the Overlay Controls tab and then select Video Mirror Controls button
In Video Mirror Controls choose your Full Screen Device and apply all changes.

This should now work. Alternatively run the notebook so that it is switched to external only and not Internal/Dual Display - on Toshiba notebooks this can be achieved by pressing the 'Fn+F5' key combo a couple of times.

Good luck

Yup it was the Video Mirror Buttons that I'd used. Thanks for the info. It worked a treat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom