Samsung PS42V4SX & PC Connection

EDTV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post on here and looking for a bit of help pls.

Just taken delivery of my new Samsung PS42V4SX plasma and well pleased with it.

Everything works well but having some probs connecting it to my PC. Have tried connecting it via the S Video output on my PC but the picture is really fuzzy. I have tried changing a load of settings on the graphics card but can't improve it.

I am wondering if it is because the plasma has a 852x480 resolution and my PC will only go to 800x600 ?

Anyone got any experience please of how to get a good picture. I noticed this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171244&highlight=samsung+ps42v4sx which talked about using the DVI-D input but not sure if this will work as my manual has an addendum in it which shows that you cannot connect to a PC using DVI-D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am well confused !

Cheers
Elliot

S-video from your graphics card is to send a tv-out video signal to the TV. Your plasma IS a computer monitor. Simply connect it the same way you connect your normal pc monitor. You may need to get a new 'vga to vga' cable to do it. FAR better results than s-video. Depending on your graphics card you may find that you have 852 x 480 resolution as an option if you look hard enough.

Thanks for the reply John but problem is the Samsung doesn't have a VGA port on it. Any other ideas ?

Cheers
Elliot

OK. Didn't guess that. The VGA out from your PC is surely the way forward rather than s-video. You may want to check into which sockets if does have if any, to which you could convert a vga signal. There are little boxes able to make most (not all) signal conversions. At the risk of insulting your imtelligence, have you checked in the manual? It must be mentioned I'd have thought. If it's not mentioned, that couold be a clue. It was in my samsung manual, but then I DID have a vga input.

The Samsung manual is poor to say the least but definately shows that the DVI-D CAN'T be used for a PC although I have no idea why (surely if it is a DVI-D input then it can be used with a PC graphics card with DVI-D output). I wonder if it is possible to get a VGA to Scart or VGA to component converter and try that ?

I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Cheers for your advice, most appreciated.
Elliot

Peabo said:
Maybe get a vga-component cable and connect it up that way?

Any idea where you can get these, I have seen some but they all seem to state that they are not compatible with standard VGA out, only HD15 out ??????

I have tried today to connect two of my computers to a samsung p42v4s via dvi and no matter what resolution or setting i could not get a picture. tried two different cables too. I can get a picture with a samsung dvd player with hdmi to dvi. In my manual , shows that it is possible to connect a pc to dvi on the panel :suicide:

I don't understand the different but there id DVI-I and DVI-D and a cable can be for one type, the other, or both, depending on the cable (I believe).

JohnCCFC said:
I don't understand the different but there id DVI-I and DVI-D and a cable can be for one type, the other, or both, depending on the cable (I believe).

I understand the differences ( dvi-i can output analogue and digital and dvi-d is digital only) my screen has dvi-d, the cables are dvi-d and my computers have dvi-i so they should be compatible i think

It would be great if we could get to the bottom of this.My manuel says it is possible to connect a p.c via DVI,there is even a setting on the t.v's menu for it.
I bought the lead, tried to set it up,but like all of you,cannot get the thing to work :mad: Now,some people are saying their manuels say you can't connect p.c via DVI....so what's going on? one of the reasons I bought this TV was to connect to my p.c. Could this be a case of the tv not being fit for the purpose for which it was purchased? :cool:

I emailed samsung uk about it this was their response: Thank you for contacting SamsungElectronics.

[Solution]

Due to the potentially complicated natureof your issue we would advise
you to call our customer service line on0870 242 0303. The support team
will run through some checks to help identify the issue and in turn
hopefully provide a quick resolution.

I'll give them a try tuesday, if that dont work its going back. I never liked it anyway it was the misses choice

Well I hope you do better than me when I rang them....they told me to connect another DVI device and see if that works! Fantactic...only I have no other DVI device :mad: Please let us know how you get on cos,thankfully, I kept all my packaging and it just might come in handy :smashin:

well they cant fob me off with that one because i have had it working with my samsung dvd hd945.

ukdan
Whats the picture like with the HD945 is there any great improvement with the up-scaling and DVI connection. I'm interested in getting one of these players but do they do the buisness with this telly?

To be honest its not worth the money. It seems to give out a lot of artifacts in dark scenes. I get a better picture with a sony dvp-585p through component and only cost half the price. (only other dvd player ive got to compare)

Been on the phone to samsung uk today (again) and they think its a faulty screen. So thats two thats been faulty now. getting a refund on it now :smashin: .I wish the panny pv500 was out now i cant wait to get a demo of that one.

Hi all,

came across this site when having difficulty connecting this plasma (ps42v4sx) to my pc via dvi. from the posts i've seen, nobody has been successful in doing this.

I've had this screen since christmas and only now am i trying to connect my pc - note that my manual states this connection is possible, indeed this was one of the first things i checked in the manual when i bought the screen. (the manual doesn't suggest resolutions etc to be used however).

Can anyone tell me if they have successfully achieved pc over dvi and if so, the settings used?

If the screen doesn't accept pc over dvi (which I require), where does that leave me? Bearing in mind my manual says the screen does do this and the fact that the retailer I bought it from has gone bust!!! (and I didn't purchase with a credit card!!! :oops: )

I'm worried pc-dvi won't work and now I'm stuck with it!! :rolleyes:

Thanks all,

lees10

I never got it to work so i got a refund.
Sorry i couldn't be any more help.

I never got mine to work either,the DVI lead is now rolled up and stored behind the t.v totally useless.To be honest I wish I had never got this t.v,the DVI doesent work and the picture is mostly crap and to top it all,because of the resolution, when Sky start H.D broadcasts next year things will still not improve......Look out for it on e-bay some day soon!

Has anybody managed to get their money back from samsung or did they have to go back to their retailer.......ivr got one of these panels and one of the reasons for buying a plasma was to eventually set up an HTPC using the DVI connector, if this doesnt work i dont want it!!!!!!

I suggest that if you want a refund and don't get any luck through your retailer or samsung themselves then take it to a small claims court. Imo if it shows in the manual that a certain product can do something, then it should do it!

ukdan said:
I suggest that if you want a refund and don't get any luck through your retailer or samsung themselves then take it to a small claims court. Imo if it shows in the manual that a certain product can do something, then it should do it!

I totally agree ukdan, i would think that Samsung would not really want the bad press, however, i bet there are quite a few people out there who have found this out and would like their monry back.......Also the problem with small claims court is that you are not guaranteed to win and would then also be liable for the costs!!!! not nice.......This does definitely seem like misrepresentation by Samsung to me.........I'll let you know how I get on as a Samsung techie is calling me tomorrow :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom