Which Dvix Player to buy?

Razor

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Could anyone please recommend me a good Divx player for around £80. Its only purpose is for Dvix play back from DVD's ( I would prefer DVD-R and RW if possible).

Many Thanks

I was looking at the Tosh SD 340E, Kiss 1000, Philips 737.

:)

Well, just to get the ball rolling, it's not around £80, nevertheless I'd recommend the Skyworth 3650 at only £29.99.

I'd recommend the Philips DVP 630. You can get it in argos fairly cheaply, plus firmware is always being upgraded for it.

I have a toshiba 140, and recommend toshibas to everybody!

the philips dvp630 would be decent too id imagine (but not quite as good a picture - i have the dvp520 too, so have compared to the tosh).

the dvp630 you can get from Argos for £50. This is not the catalogue price, its a lot cheaper than that and anywhere else! and its something i discovered by accident...

if you order the DVP520 then they say 'the DVP630 may be offered as well for the same price' ... you can make sure by asking to view it at the collection desk, check its the 630, then pay for it at that desk. ive been waiting for someone to use that secret info, so there we go!

Targe DP5100x fro Lidl £50. Its really the LG 8900P. It is one of the few than can play packed bitsteam divx ! It also has a 7 in 2 memory card reader so you can view photos from a memory stick on screen without hooking a digital camera up.

Its a typical mediatek FE chip set player but a much slicker interface than most bar say the Pioneer 470/575 or Philip 720. However it has better subtitle with divx support and packed bitsteam.

Cheers for the replies :) Zeropoint, deacon, superpixel, NX3.

What is the difference between thje 630 and the 737 philips. Can the philips play dvd-r evan thought they dont support it?

The tosh 340 got a good review in the mags, but the tech's say it can only play dvix off a cd. This is what I am basically trying to avoid.

NX3 what is packed bitstream?

Does the replay quality vary a lot from player to player or are they fairly close in comparison?

I noticed no one mentioned the Kiss player are they all adversting and no performance?

Thanks for all help

BTW nice scam superpixel ;)

Packed bitsteam is somthing the 630 and 737 won't play unless you unpack first. Don't worry too much about what it does, its just how most xvids come these days.

The quality doesn't vary too much as they almost all have the mediatek chipset.

The Tosh 340 is fussy about media, search this forum for people posting problems.

Kiss are using sigma chips. They are a much older technology and not as compatible as mediatek. However they do have a brand new range of players coming soon that can do HD etc but they won't be cheap.

I have a Pioneer 575 and it plays most I throw at it. BUT you have to rename xvid files as .divx to be recognised.

I don't know about divx, but can speak generally. my toshiba plays EVERYTHING like a dream (DVD-R, DVD-RW, audio CDs).

the same certainly cant be said for the Pioneer I tried, which was very sluggish at navigating through DVD-Rs, not to mention sounding like it had a car engine revving up inside compared to all my other players

i tried the toshiba last because of forum scare stories, but in the end there was no need to worry at all. it was the best BY FAR. if it doesnt play a finalised disc which it claims to do in the spec, you can take it back...

and the Philips from argos you can take back too of course even if its not faulty

satbunny said:
I have a Pioneer 575 and it plays most I throw at it. BUT you have to rename xvid files as .divx to be recognised.
Could you explain a little more mate as I have several files that dont display on my DV470 menu and this could be the reason why.

I 100% recomend just buying a xbox and modding it with XBMC which plays divx/xvid movies.

Trust me mate I have been buying divx products since day 1 , and I think the xbox is the best by far.

I have 4 divx dvd players at home + portable divx player

I have a xbox with 3 X 300 GB hard drives installed on it with 3000 divx movies + mp3 albums.

I call it the xbox-jukebox

Hope this helps

Ditto the above. Had the pc connected to Tv, then A KISS player (nice but not quite there), followed by a modded xbox. Very flexible box (albeit ugly).

"BUT you have to rename xvid files as .divx to be recognised"
>not true, .avi will do fine. My parents have a Pioneer 470 and its a excellent machine, no problems with xvids.

Targa DP-5100x is the lidl one, as per your link

Thanks for more advice. I already have an xbox and its in the lounge. I really dont want to buy aother one. lol. Nice little system jamie 3 x 300 gig in an xbox....lol thats what i call an upgrade. Which one out of the pioneer 470 and the targa would you go for?

I got my parents the 470, it was about £50 cheaper than the 575 at the time. However now they are only £10 different I'd get a 575 multiregion from RicherSounds.

For me, I got the Targa from Lidl as have about 5 people I know. It comes with a 3 year warrenty, its well made unlike some cheap players, has the memory card reader and does packed bitstream. They have a limited supply and only got them in on Monday.

The only thing you need to do is update the firmware as per the Targa website which is very simple and fixes a few things. Don't worry about this, Philips and Pioneer are exactly the same. If you get the Pioneer you want to update to latest firmware 2.09 as it fixes a few things and adds new functionality.

Having used both the 470 and Targa I can't really say much in it. Save yourself £50 :)

NX3 thanks for all the helpfull advice. How is the Targa for lip sync? How do you update the firmware, is it by disc?

Download firmware from Targa webpage, burn to cd. Put cd in machine and it does it. Instructions come with it. None of us who got one have noticed any lipsync problems.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cheers NX3

It says on the web site that its a region 2 machine how do you enable multi region?

"You can make it multiregion : http://www.math.uga.edu/~djb/html/dvd.html"

^^^ DO THAT

Went to Lidl today and there is no stock. All gone was the reply and they couldnt tell me if they were getting more in as it was a special stock item. Any second choices? I was looking at the DK Digital

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/go/shopbotGo?catId=127701&merchantId=3436823&pkey=0&orw=true

It seems to have good feed back and similar to the targa player.

If not I was thinking of just buying the philips 630 or the pioneer 470. As I am only using it for divx playback it wont be used that often, maybe two or three times a week.

Thanks in advance. :)

I did have the DK Digital 339 and sold it on as even though the Divx Playback was top notch, the DVD Playback wasnt the best, it seemed to speed up playback every so slightly now and then which made the film almost unwatchable and it did not have the widescreen flag marker function so it didnt matter what setting the film was in, you had to change the aspect ratio on the TV manually which I found very annoying.

I now have the Pioneer DV470 and the DVD Playback is faultless but the Divx isnt as good as the 339 due to it not displaying all the files on a disc, I cant figure out why it wont show them all when the 339 did but hopefully this problem will be fixed by a future firmware update.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom