Which amp, £600 budget

R

rlm

After the help I had got on here regarding buying a new CD player and then realising that it is more than likely my Marantz PM4400 that is letting me down I have come back to ask more annoying questions.

I have a budget of around £500-£600 to play with to buy a Stereo Integrated Amplifier, obviously I will be going to my local hifi shop to listen but again I would like some views on the different products around on the market first. For this price range I have seen that the Arcam A80 is available to me, as is the NAD C372 and the Marantz PM7200, also the KI version of this amp too, which has had some very good reviews. The Rotel RA-03 is also around this price range, although I have not heard much about it. The only one of these I can’t listen to at my local HIFI shop is the Rotel, my question is though which of these 5 players (although their prices vary greatly, from £350-£600) would you go for.

I am being driven towards the Arcam(looks the dogs too), but haven’t had a chance to listen yet which I realise is the most important thing, however I would still very much like some opinions, cheers in advance.

rlm.

p.s. Any ideas as to where to look for second hand stuff other than ebay ? cheers.

If you were prepared to go second ahnd you'd get a lot more for your money, Amps are a pretty safe bet.
At the £600 price range I'd look to Exposure 3010 Int.
HTH

Agreed with Knightshade.

I simply would never buy an amp brand new nowadays.

You could probably find a Naim Nait 5i or Rotel RA-1062 for £500 or less.

Also look at a S/H LFD. £600 can put you in the cheaper end of some valve amps as well.

LFD does not have a sexy image but is a bloody good amp.

Does the amp need to be integrated?

Yes please, integrated, will be running my E-MU 0404 and various things. Will be driving my 602s3's. I'd really prefer one of these new amps mentioned above mind, just for peace of mind. However I will explore every avenue.

Thanks again.

Hi RLM

The Exposure 2010s (£599 inc. remote control) received an excellent review in Hi-Fi news this month. Also, from personal experience (its one of the amps I've got in my system at present, whilst I decide whether to go Solid state or valve) I consider this to be quite a stunning amp at this price point. The valve amp I'm comparing it to is valued at over twice the price and its quite a close run thing. So if you're looking at new, this should be on your list. Where are you based - I live in a bit of a quite Hi-Fi zone down on the Devon/Cornwall border and, just don't seem to ever have the time to go and adition these days.

Paul

hi all moorgate accoustics have the mf 308 at £499 new with 2 years warrenty ,believe the later vertions (blue power led) have home theater av2 button to toggle between hi-fi and ht use,

I too am currently looking for a new amp (demoing the Arcam A80 & Rotel RA-01/2 on Monday).

How do those who've used Exposure amps feel the 2010 power amp would sit with the TAG PA10 pre-amp (both available new for £574 here)?

I'll also be looking at what's on offer 2nd hand - ideally, I decent 2nd hand deal would allow me to demo a couple at home for a month, and sell what I don't want.

Hi Trigaaar

Not to sure how the more clinical PA10 will fit with the pacey presentation of the 2010 power. Do you need the versatility of the TAG? Now that the new 2010s range is out the older 2010 units will be offered as clearance items, so the integrated unit might make a better buy. Depending on the sound you prefer, the 2010s integrated could out perform the TAG/2010 combination for £599

Paul

Thanks Paul

No, I don't need versatility at all, I was just looking at 2010 prices, and saw them linked together.

Budget was supposed to be under £400, but if I heard something at £600 that wowed me, I could change my mind. Do you know what improvements the 2010s has over the 2010 (integrated)?

Hi Trigaaar

From 50 to 75watts/channel, thicker casing materials, much better remote and slight change in the cosmetics on the front panel. No idea what changes may have been made inside. I just skipped over the Hi-Fi News review as I’ve already got one of these. Mind you I’ve got three amps on the go at the moment so two will have to go soon - so keep an eye on the classifieds. There’s just so much swapping around of cables and re-setting that you can do before it become such a pain that I’ll loose interests.

Paul

Bit lazy of me asking you there, I did a search, and saw the wattage and case change. Maybe soon should be now - go on, stick it in the classifieds! Maybe I should just put a wanted add for it to make your life easier.

Not keen on the prices on that noteworthy site. Used Exposure 2010 £455 and ex-dem for £475, when you can buy them new for £419.

The MF3.2 sounds interesting, I thought they were much more expensive. If everyone sends me a pound, I'll buy it and do a personal review for you. Bargain.

Definitely consider the Cyrus 6vs , especially with the upgrade path too, and the facility to also add a PSXR......also, what about Roksan Kandy.....lots of oomph makes it deal with volume on an effortless cale...try them and see/hear/enjoy.

rlm

I had a demo of the Rotel RA-03 (and cheaper RA-01) and the Arcam A80 today (with Quad 11Ls and a MF CD - not sure which, but pricey).

I'm not 100% comfortable with my findings, because the demo room was so live it's untrue (square ish room, painted white, and my voice was echoing). But although I thought I'd prefer the Rotel, in that room, I much preferred the Arcam. Most noteable difference for me was the sound of Sphie Ellis Bexter's voice (only female voice I used in the demo) which was sweeter and more enjoyable to listen to (I also had a listen to a £1500 MF amp, which sounded more like the Arcam than the Rotel, if that means anything). I'm not sure if the Arcam could turn on the excitement in my own room, but I intend to find out.

The dealer also commented in our demo that the Arcam had better Bass control (bit of Eminem going there), but I'm slow at picking these things up.

You really need a home demo. Put any system in 5 different rooms and you will get 5 different sounds.

I would also be very cautious about any dealer who explained or clarified improvements during a demo. The only thing which matters is your ears with your system in your room.

Hi Triggaaar

as requested its in the classifieds

Paul

Cheers. Just need to work on your delivery skills now. No way I could get down to Plymouth. Do you ever pass the M25 way?

Triggaaar

Last time I used the M25 was about 10 years ago. :D Been going to Nottingham quite frequently - but that's always on a motorbike. As for my delivery skills, they are exceptionally good and highly regarded in certain circles. :smashin:

Paul

Paul Williams said:
As for my delivery skills, they are exceptionally good and highly regarded in certain circles

but the M25 isn't one of them.

How about Southampton - your lovely sea-side neighbour?

Triggaaar

This conversation really needs to be on the Classifieds as it’s not appropriate for this thread now.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom