PW7, Dynamic Mode & Running In

Vipen

Established Member
Reaction score
just a quick question. when i've run in my pw7 can i switch to dynamic mode or is it suggested that dynamic mode should be used sparingly. i didn't know if there was a question of wear and tear the brighter the image you choose to view.

me myself, i prefer a brighter image and the panny is a little dark but on the flipside, more analogue.

what do you think?

and also, a friend has just bought a 37" pw7 but she doesn't really have a clue about what she's actually bought. i suggested panny is best and she did. i mentioned regarding keeping image brightness minimal for the first 100 hours but she didn't seem to understand why. shall i press this issue and make sure she understands and adheres to the 'rule'??? it could get quite painful :rolleyes:

Great Question!!!

I got mine on Friday and was wondering the same thing.

I have mine set to Cinema with the colour setting on normal and then turned the brightness,contrast up a little bit.

I like a bright picture too, so at the moment its looking a little dark for my liking but dont want to knacker the screen up.

I also have my Sky box Swtiched to High Brightness.

Are you running everything off the mediabox??

Dal

w3dal, i've had my 42" for about two weeks now and usually have the settings down unless i watch a dvd then i switch to cinema. haven't used dynamic yet (well not alot).

i knew the panny had a slightlky darker picture than most but the screen burn resliance was an issue for me so the panny was the tried and tested. and that was my choice.

i have ntl > dmr-e55 dvd recorder > rgb converter > pw7 via component

i do get some lip-sync problems even from my dvd which is a bit annoying. well to me it's alot annoying but in the end i'll have to get an av amp with delay built in.

i'm still wondering how to get a sharper picture but i'll wait until i've properly run in the screen with low settings before i set to work on adjustments and fine tuning.

all in all, i like the screen alot and screen burn resiliance is a plus, but i need to get a sharper image. maybe it's possible, maybe it's not. in the end i'm easily pleased though.

still don't know what to do with this girl though, should i enter into the complexities of why she has to watch a dull picture for 100 hours??? :eek:

just tell her to use cinema for 2-3 weeks and not to use dynamic, you can always go and set her screen up for her Vipen, once the screen has bedded in you can adjust to taste, butt lowering ambientlight is a much better option than running a screen at retina burning brightness so it competes with your Lightbulbs.........

Just keep it simple m8.

If she keeps it up high theres a chance she will knacker her screen or keep it low for a 100 hundred hours or so and then crank it up slightly and hopefully wont suffer from any screen burn.

It is annoying but she will have to stick with it like the rest of us.

Im used to a bright and sharper picture too my 32" 100hz Sony Wega screen produced an excellent picture so im just getting used to the PW7.

On the whole im chuffed to bits with it. I dont have any lip sync issues either which is a bonus.

Maybe some other new users can post there screen settings.

Dal

cheers HD, i did think about the cinema option. probably easiest. i have offered to set it up for her. i think she started worrying when i mentioned mtv and logo burn!! do you think she has to be aware of this, i presumed so.

and what were you referring to with regard to ambient lighting. is that the room light? i usually have it dark anyway, i'm not sure whether i'm trying to get a sharp image or whether i just want more brightness, i suppose i ought to wait until my own pw7 is bedded in before i start studying my options.

chances are like most you ran your CRTs at factory or near factory settings (too bright ) and got used to it.... can do the same with a plasma if you like and alot of people do.....but it will knacker quicker and performanc ewill drop off quicker these things have a finite life and abuse them it will show....learn to love a dark natural image rather than a freakish and overblown one...

I now have brightness at 0, contrast at 15 and sharpness at 6 and find this to be perfect for most films and tv.....haven't touched advanced settings. Am over 200 hours now but didn't wait for that, just avoided dynamic which to my eyes is way to bright and artificial anyway.

OK so you all advise lowering the settings to avoid damaging the Plasma. But what do you class as low settings ?

What one person may class low another may class OK.

Your settings suggestions would be well appreciated. :smashin:

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
I would adjust brightness so it's correct and put it on cinema mode. Crushing black detail is not going to benefit longevity of the plasma....neither is it going to wear it out faster.

Gordon

do you mean leave contrast alone?..i.e at zero and only tweak brightness?

i have just got home and set mine to Cinema and not touched anything else.

The more i use the PW7 the more im getting used to the screen. I must have had my CRT on very high for brightness, contrast etc etc

Dal

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom