ROTK extended something weird?

abs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching a bit of ROTk extended dvd disc 2 chapter 12 time 31:14
and noticed something in the top right of the picture..the number 820 flashes up on the screen for a split second. has anyone else noticed this..i have the region 3 version.

It's apparently to stop/track piracy :lease:

There is one on Harry Potter POA, in one of the scenes with the wanted poster in the pub.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Apparently we won't notice it unless we know it's there. Tell that to the people on the PJ forum. That lot don't miss a thing, apart from the film. ;)

But how was it ever going to help tracking when it's the same number in all copies? I saw this debated endlessly last Decemeber in several places and no-one came up with a plausible explanation of how this could achieve anything .. nor why R1 copes weren't infested with it.

Hi,

The number is not unique for each pirated copy of the film, because the original film-makers don't need it to be unique.

What they will do, is produce a "batch" of films, each with a number - in the "LOTR: TROTK - Extended Edition (Region 3)" version, 820.

Batch 820 might go to a specific online site, or shop, or area. If a pirated version is then discovered, with that same batch number on it, the company producing the discs, and making the film itself, can track the pirate copy down to a specific location, shop or area. This is normally enough for the police or other law-enforcement agencies, to catch the individuals involved in producing the pirated release.

If every single DVD had a UIN (or Unique Identification Number), every single disc would need to be sold to people, in exchange for their personal details. This, would be cumbersome, and probably break many EU rules on Privacy, et al.

Obviously, it won't stop Joe or Jane Bloggs walking into a local store, buying a new film, and copying it, but it will stop (or at least slow down) people who make pirated copies of films from cinemas, preview discs, test discs, promotional release discs, and other similar places.

If a pirated disc is traced back to a shop, say for example Jane Bloggs' SuperStore, in High Street, London, the police or anti-piracy could go to the store, and request details of who and when each copy was sold. This could be traced via credit card details, security cameras, and other such information. This information can then be used to slowly reduce the list of potential pirates, from genuine customers, to the person/people actually committing the crime.

At least, that's what I've been led to believe is how the anti-piracy code numbers system works. :)

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom