Mega Plasma Test

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
Right people i have been invited to a mega plasma test day at a secret location:
available for comparison will be the following..........

Pioneer 435XDE
Fujitsu 42" VHA
NEC 42" VR5
NEC 42" XR3
Panasonic 42" PHD7
Panasonic 42" PWD7

There will also be an Iscan HD+

So what i need to know is what you want to know?
It will be possible for side by side comparisons of most inputs (not sure if we have access to a DVi DA tho)

The things i am particularly look for are:
1)How the Pannasonic handle 720p @60Hz converted from 50Hz by iscan HD+
2)How NEC handle 720p at both 50/60Hz
3)Comparison of DVD (YPbPr) on all screens (may split into SD group and HD group)
4)Comparison of TV feed (hopefully from an STB)
5)Overall PQ and performance

SO anything else you guys want to add let me know.........
Depending on time availble there may be other things i can see.

Hmm.. shame there won't be any 50" on display, I am looking at NEC and 40 series Fujitisu at the moment. ;)

Look forward to hearing your results (is the Fujitsu 42" going to be the new 40 series?)

Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Pioneer 435XDE...

Lucky chap:clap:

I'd be interested in the answers to all the points you've listed.

I'd also be interested to know how much solarisation there is on the units, particularly the Fuji because of the problems I have with my VHA30 and if any do suffer, whether they are reduced with the Iscan.

Cheers, and enjoy the day.

David-Sheekey said:
No Vieras then Horny?
It is becoming quite a popular plasma.
this is a panel test (435 thrown in cause MXE1 doesnt support HDCP on DVi) Fujitsu thrown in for a new angle although i am sure the NEC/Panny debate is what everyone wants to know about. Would have liked it to be a VHA40 but none available for test.

Shame you won't be able to compare the HD NEC (XR3 or XM3) - unless that XM5 was a typo?

My main issue is PQ with SKY (SKY+ to be precise), since that's 90% of our viewing. Be good to get your thoughts on the difference the iScanHD makes to SKY PQ on the SD and HD models.

Thanks for doing this for us, mate...

I would like to know how great a difference in PQ there is between the PWD7 and PHD7.

I would like to know how the PW7 handles high def images compared to itsStandard def output and compared to the high def displays

The performance of the HDMI input versus the Component Input for all screens.

Hi,

If you are looking at the SD & HD Panasonics side by side I'd be interested to see if you have the brightness issues and other anomalies on the HD compared to the SD.

Cheers

I look fwd to seeing how you rate the nec vr5 compared to the panny7 :) was going for panny then some1 in the forums mentioned how good the vr5 was and now im back to square 1 :(

regards
jason

Horny, your findings will be all the more interesting as I'm assembling some panels here too. Next week I will have a PHD7, a MXE1 and an XR3, and an iscan for 720p output. Tyre kickers will be welcome. You do yours, in fact if we are lucky you can come and do mine too!

HD

if you can, post some pictures showing side-by-side comparisons using same source etc etc :)

Fraid this does not work, in a digital photo they all look the same. How they handle motion it the most critical.

Some opinions on how footy, live if poss, looks (or any fast moving sport) would be good. Biggest reason (apart from SWMBO) I haven't got one yet....

Rich

MAW said:
How they handle motion it the most critical.

I actually returned my PWD7 because it handled motion badly - lots of green motion blur on all types of source material - Freeview via SCART RGB, DVDs via Component and the most obvious PC VGA.

What I could not accept was the fact that the blur trails are a vivid green colour!

I even prepared a DVD with some of the worst case examples and took it to some local shops - all the Vieras and the one PW7B I could find showed the same symptoms.

The majority of people do not seem to see this artifact, however, just because they cannot see it - does not mean it isn't there.

I did start a thread on this topic

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175876

but it died out with no further interest.

I would be interested in your observations.

Gussie

i'm simple and I just want to know the obvious difference between the panny and NEC.

Cheers

Dave

I am constrained to buying a 37" (no movement on this). Would be interested to know how transferable your findings might be from the 42" crop to 37" equivalent, if available.

hornydragon said:
well 37" are Panny/Hitachi only

Sony also do a 37" plasma

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom