AVR300 software updates

GarySargent

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any updates since 2.90? There are a few bugs that are annoying me - especially the surround mode button bug where it jumps a couple of settings at a time. Arcam told me via email this would be fixed in the next update.

If a new version is available where can I download it from? I'm not unplugging everything and lugging the whole thing back to a dealer - I upgraded to 2.90 myself (using the download from http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/AVR300Software/AVR300Software.htm )

Thanks,

Gary.

I spoke to ARCAM on Monday and the lastest update is 3.0.8 which includes the per-input lip sync setting. They didn't seem to be able to say what elase it fixed.

But they implied that it could only be obtained via a dealer - they didn;t volunteer to send it to me. Unfortunately the aslgroup website is out-of-dat, it still has 2.9 as the latest and we all know that's not correct.

I have 3.06 in mine Arcam AVR 300 and mine does not skip several surroundmodes at a time as it did before when I had 2.90 in it, so that bug is fixed. It was updated by the dealer when it as in for service.

/Håkan

Hi,
Do you have to pay the dealer to update the firmware, and what if it's not the dealer you purchased it from?
Thanks

Hi,
You don't have to pay for updates form the dealer. What you do is go into your dealer and ask for him to request from Arcam the latest software for your particular machine, Arcam will then send it to you if you want to do it yourself. It takes around 2 days I've found.
Alternatively PM Crustyloafer and ask if he has copy, he works for an Arcam dealer and maybe able to help you

HTH
John

cwick said:
You know, it would be nice if new firmware updates would actually be announcd, with a list of fixes, rather than all us having to wait until somebody happens to discover that it's available. Or am I just not on the list ?

When I spoke to ARCAM I asked them what 3.0.8 fixed - the help-dek guy didn't know, and didn't have alist. I think these guys are relative novices when it comes to software development, support and maintenance processes. This is something I've been involved with for 25 years, so my expectations are probably unrealistically high - mind you, even CISCO can tell you what problems a software release fixes (but not what new ones it introduces!).

Does anyone know how to do the software upgrade ? My AVR300 is runnig on 2.9 software, I have noticed the Surround modes skipping on a few by themselves and would like this fixed, ideas anyone ?

The instructoins on how to do the upgrade are included in the package. Basically you install the updater SW on your PC, connect a serial lead between the PC and the AVR, press a couple of magic button combinations on the AVR to put it into update mode and then tell the PC Updater SW to do the update.

You can download the 2.9 update from the aslgroup web site to get detailed instuctions

I'm wondering if, perhaps, we could have a sticky in this forum onto which Arcam would be willing to post details of updates ?

Seems like fair payback to me. We get to find the bugs in their firmware, asking for a little something in return doesn't seem to be unreasonable.

Then we can decide if it's worth the trip to our dealers to get the update.

Cheers, Carl.

Why doesn't Arcam provide the latest firmware on their site to download?

My dealer is 80 odd miles away!

I'd like the firmware to be a download too,

I didn't get any software with my AVR300 to be able to load any kind of programme onto my laptop. Should I have done ? I am running 2.9 already so the site with that on would be no good, i am after the latest version

Could arcam put it on their site for download, this would make sense for dealers to access as well

Arcam, any feedback on this ?

ScubaPro said:
I didn't get any software with my AVR300 to be able to load any kind of programme onto my laptop. Should I have done ? I am running 2.9 already so the site with that on would be no good, i am after the latest version

Could arcam put it on their site for download, this would make sense for dealers to access as well

Arcam, any feedback on this ?

I Think Arcam want you to go to your dealer, because if you mucked up the firmware update, IE power going out half-way when updating, your AVR would no longer work, and you would have to pay Arcam to get it fixed.
Only update yourself, If you really understand what you are doing!

Theres no software

I expect they are worried people will do it wrong and render their unit inoperable. THough if their update code is well designed, the initial bootcode and downloader would be in ROM, separate from the operating code. That way, if a download fails, it could be repeated once the problem was corrected.

It should also be possible to upload the current code to the PC first, to enable you to rollback if the new SW doesn't work or has other bugs that cause you greater problems.

Even better would be the ability to hold two code versions in flash at the same time. The unit would attempt to load the latest version, but if this was corrupted, or in response to a hardware command (power up with a couple of buttons presses) it would load the alternative version. This way, if an update goes wrong you still have a workinbg unit.

All of these capabilities are standard in professional computer based equipment such as routers and switches, and are pretty easy to implement. How about it, ARCAM

Duster said:
I Think Arcam want you to go to your dealer, because if you mucked up the firmware update, IE power going out half-way when updating, your AVR would no longer work, and you would have to pay Arcam to get it fixed.
Only update yourself, If you really understand what you are doing!

To be perfectly honest I'd rather trust myself (as a computer engineer) with the firmware update than a salesman in a shop!

I have an uninterruptable power supply I can use in case of power loss during the upgrade, and I'd sooner not risk lugging the amp to the dealers and back in the car and risk it being damaged.

It is also extremely inconvenient to have to unplug everything and then rewire it.

Every computer motherboard manufacturer has firmware updates on their website. Those in the know download and use them, those that aren't don't. There is no good reason for Arcam not to post firmware updates on their website.

For an expensive product - I expect better service.

Yes and Arcams position was basically that the dealers want to "maintain a relationship" with their customer - or in other words think it is a good opportunity to get them in the shop to sell them more stuff!

Arcam might not want to upset their dealers, but they sure as hell are upsetting their customers! I've bought top of the range CD and Amps from Arcam for years, but now I am getting pretty fed up with all this nonsense.

Gary,
Phone up your dealer and ask them to phone Arcam to send you the latest software, its really easy. For me with my DV27a it tool about 2 days from me phoning my dealer (who at the time was in Cumbria and I was in London) to me recieving the CD thorugh the post.
I agree its not ideal (as in downloading it) but it keeps both parties reasonably happy.

john

GarySargent said:
To be perfectly honest I'd rather trust myself (as a computer engineer) with the firmware update than a salesman in a shop!

I agree completely for the same reasons - it's something I do all the time here at work and am quite happy with.

The problem I have is that ARCAM cannot tell me if the latest version fixes the bug - which I find both disappointing and worrying.

I have the Arcam programming tool and latest 3.08 software if anyone wants it

I also have the instructions as to how to do it, it looks very simple to be honest

You will need a Null Modem lead as well

ScubaPro said:
I have the Arcam programming tool and latest 3.08 software if anyone wants it

I also have the instructions as to how to do it, it looks very simple to be honest

You will need a Null Modem lead as well

Yes please!

Done one update to get me to 2.9 so no worries there.

I need the latest software too - I updates to 3.01 and it introduced a new bug....

You are right the update is really simple.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom