Plasma v LCD v DLP

fernview

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a high definition TV soon. Future-proofing is high on my mind. However, I cannot make up my mind between a plasma or lcd or dlp. This is not helped by rumours that Sony are stopping all production of plasma's soon. DLP has only just started featuring in the news, rear projection that is, not projector.

Which is the best device, Plasma, LCD or DLP for the best picture and sound quality and is HDTV future-proof?

How urgently do you need a new tv? just there are several new types of screen that are out soon that are supposedly far better and cheaper to make than LCD or Plasma. SED, OLED etc...

SED screens for example are out this year. Apparantly the format has the colour, contrast etc of a crt set, with all the benefits of a flat panel digital screen. Also 1920 by 1080p. Personally I wouldn't buy a 42" or above tv that has less than 1080p, and HDMI is a must, (though DVI with HDCP would do I suppose). Also, make sure the set will play 720p/1080i/1080p at both 50hz and 60hz. That would be my criteria for future proofing.

Rob20 thanks for the advice. I like a hi def tv soon, how long will I have to wait for SED and what is 1080p, is this the same as the pc resolutions e.g. 1024 x 1024 on SONY 42 plasma's?

If you want a hi-def set soon, then SED is out of the question being realistic. IMO, I think it's a very difficult time to buy a new tv. Whatever you do, don't buy a set without HDMI. If I'd realised how important this new connection was going to be i would have waited. All the new eqipment at the CES in USA has HDMI. Dvd players, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc. Sky have announced that their 720p/1080i serivce (2006) will only work with tvs that have HDMI or DVI inputs (that are also hdcp compliant). Very few tvs have either. Some DVI sets aren't hdcp compatible either. Be careful also. Some sets that claim hi-def compatibility merely are by scaling down the signal. i.e. some are till 480p. Alwats check the screens native resolution.

Whether you are better off buying lcd/plasma/DLP is a tricky question. All have their pro's and cons. How much were you looking to spend, what size screen do you want? The only screen that seems truly future proof is Sharps 45" lcd with 1920/1080p and DVI. Though whether the screen accepts 50hz and 60hz 720p/1080i/1080p I have no idea. Also, it's £5k.

Prices are falling so quickly, and features improvine, I wouldn't know what to get at the moment. I wasn't sure in the summer so went for a small 26" lcd with 1366/768, 720p/1080i, (with the intention of buying a bigger screen when prices had fallen to a more reasonable level). Thought it was a reasonable price what with it being £1,275 (rrp £2,000). Within a few weeks there was a new set with HDMI announced for an autumn release. This new set was also cheaper with the 32" set being the same price as my 26" set. Now my set can be bought for just £800. In only 5 months. Or £100 per month effectively. Plus now I find out I will not be able to access Sky's hi-def. I can't afford to spend £1,000s on a new set so I'll stick with what I have and wait til prices drop. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom