RGB Splitter

fuzzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have panny E85 and wish to have RGB in on this for recording from sky and RGB in on my tv from sky. My sky box has only one Rgb out which goes to the telly. I understand you can buy scart splitters but do they output 2 lots of rgb from one rgb input and where do you buy them? I see that JS components do a rgb to rgb/svideo box. Would this be as good as an rgb splitter? :confused:

I see no reason for you to buy any splitters/converters.
What I think you need to do is plug the TV scart out from Sky into the E85. Then plug the TV out of the E85 into the RGB scart plug on your TV.
With the above you can obviously record Sky with an RGB feed, but when the E85 is not in use it will pass RGB through to the TV.

Mark.

Thanks for your reply. the only problem I have is that when the E85 is in standby it only outputs composite, which means I always have to it turned on..not a major problem just a bit inconvenient

I know this is a late reply, but I have identical prob with Pioneer DVD/HDD and Freeview Set Top Box. I still haven't sorted out exactly what happens in power off as I'm wary of constantly unplugging and plugging scarts

As far as splitters are concerned, I'm also a bit worried about back circuits as (for some reason) the Freeview STB also passes through whatever is available to its video-in as an output from its TV-out

Lektropaks do a scart 2-way switch that might help.
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=112&sku=147
I'm still trying to work out exactly how it could be connected up though, bearing iin mind it would be used for 1 input - 2 outputs.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. :)

One idea for me is a Sony or Pioneer STB with an s-video out for a recorder, as well as s-video or RGB for TV (both plus composite).

Hi

All I want is a device that will pass rgb to my telly from the one rgb output on my sky box and also send rgb to my panny. (A lot of the boxes I see take multiple inputs with one output which gets round the problem of a tv's lack of rgb inputs) What I want is one that takes one rgb input and outputs multiple rgb...or a sky box with two sets of rgb out scarts.

I just found this http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept_id=112&sku=618
I think this would work (I've called the device the box):
1. Plug the TV RGB-in into the box TV-out,
2. Plug the Sky RGB output to box input 2
3. Plug the Panny record input to box input 1.
Then you watch Sky by setting the TV-out to 2 and record it by setting Record 2>1

You watch the Panny with a cable direct to the TV, no RGB though as you've used the TV's RGB-in in (1). Maybe s-video is availale on the TV's non-RGB scart(s) and from the Panny which would be almost as good as RGB and a lot better than composite.

Or you could plug the Panny out (set to RGB) into the box input 3, then watch the Panny by selecting the TV-out to 3 - but you'd have to get off the sofa to do that :laugh:

Fancy trying it before I do? :)

For Pioneer users, Nemo has posted that the Pioneer x20s loop through the scart from AV2 to AV1 while recording from the internal tuner. See

This means that you can feed an RGB signal through the machine when it is recording analog, so you can make do with one RGB feed from a Sky or Freeview box for watching TV and recording.

You press the + button on the front of the machine to activate the loopthrough during analog recording. See Tip on page 48 of manual (LH column).

The only complication arises with timer controlled recoding if the external box doesn't provide an RGB signal under timer control from standby. But I suspect most will providing the box is left switched on, and so just has to change channels under timer control.

Have a similar prob with my hs2 dvd recorder - exhibits lip synch when passing sky through, using the daisy chain method. (plus no picture when in timer record mode)

Got a 2way scart splitter/amplifier from CPC for £30 (AV0717866) which splits the rgb signal from sky to two outputs at the same time,without needing to switch outputs etc. and is lossless. Works great, so can record rgb to DVD recorder, and watch rgb direct from sky at the same time.

Similar products available elsewhere, but this seemed the best price.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom