Cable Confusion

dmack233

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey :)

Firstly i apologise for this long post just a bit of a struggle to ask my question clearly as possible. After a good while of considering all the screens available at the moment ive decided to go with the LG rz 42px11 and also the Sony Dav sc8. The problem now is to get the best out of both of them.

I keep getting mixed up with all the cables though.

Heres a list of the LG's ports best to worst:

1) DVI
2) VGA
3) Component
4) RGB Scart
5) SVideo Scart or SVideo cable
6) Composite SCART or Composite RCA (the often yellow cable)
7) Antenna

So i get a high quality component lead from the dvd to tv but the problem is i will be using digital satelite on it as well (sky). On the back of some of the digi boxes it has an optical port and so does the dvd player. A customer advisor in a shop i was looking at the screens said i could hook up the dvd and sky with the optic line but i didnt get a chance to ask how.

At a guess its: tv to dvd with a component lead then an optical to the dvd?

Only prob is i thought optic lines were sound only? Do i need a component from the sky to the dvd plus the optic for high quality sound? Or would it be better to have the sky box with a compnent lead only going directly to the tv?(no optic on the tv tho)

thanks if youve read all of this and id be grateful for help :)

So you have 2 satellite boxes? Sky and another. if both have RGB scart then use one direct and one with RGB>VGA converter from Dr John Sim see forum sponsor list.
Optical is only for sound, so just use that to Sony, Hope this helps.

nope havent got 2 sky boxes its a dvd player and a sky box both being hooked up to the same tv. Is RGB better than component?

ok :) sounds good.
Sorry i keep asking questions but one more :)

the dvd player has a component video out port on it so should i go for a direct tv to dvd with a component cable

or

the rgb to vga like you said earlier? Im not sure how the adapters work but the way it looks wouldnt it be the image quality would be restricted to the lower quality of the two plugs? for vga quality wouldnt you need vga to vga? wouldnt vga to RGB only be RGB quality?

And last part of question what should i do about the optical line? sound is important to me i want to listen to the music channels on sky a lot so can i take advantage of it or is it not worth it?

thanks for your time hornydragon :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom