Doom III you are mine now :)

ShinObiWAN

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just finished the install and played the first level.

Wow, love it so far. Great graphics and the beginning has a very HL feel to it.

I'll be honest because the wise ones amongst you will know that this isn't out over here until the 12th August and the 3rd in the States. So I have of course have an illegal version but I will be definitely buying the game when it hits the shelves - its that good. But alas I'm impatient so wanted it yesterday :rolleyes:

ShinObiWAN said:
Just finished the install and played the first level.

Wow, love it so far. Great graphics and the beginning has a very HL feel to it.

I'll be honest because the wise ones amongst you will know that this isn't out over here until the 12th August and the 3rd in the States. So I have of course have an illegal version but I will be definitely buying the game when it hits the shelves - its that good. But alas I'm impatient so wanted it yesterday :rolleyes:

u may want to edit that post or be taking a holiday :D

BauerCTU said:
u may want to edit that post or be taking a holiday :D

This isn't OCUK forums where you get banned for sneezing. As long as a link to a warez source isn't posted, then you are free to discuss it.

Mine is on the way now. :D Lets see how my X800 XT handles it.

Cheers

Rob

Edit: Not that it matters, but I have pre-ordered it also, so will be paying for a full version also.

Lucky sh..e !
Im geting mine in the US this weekend, Im going over there on Friday so ill be able to get it on saturday.
(im not going all the way there just to get it, ill be on holiday too!)
Im thinking of geting an X800XT while im there too. I just hope I can find one!

It looks awesome, what spec is your PC shinobi and what you running it at?

First time I have looked forward to a FPS in a long time!

Sinzer said:
It looks awesome, what spec is your PC shinobi and what you running it at?

P4 3.4Ghz Prescott @ 3.8Ghz (overclocked)
1Gb DDR450 running at 225FSB
Radeon X800 XT 256Mb
Audigy 2 ZS

Running in 1024 x 768 in High mode with everything turned on apart from antialiasing. Runs very smoothly in all places.

I expect it would be perfectly playable on a Radeon 9800 PRO/XT on the high setting to many but I do like games to flow like water :)

I have only got a XP2200 and 9800Pro and 512 Megs. I expect to run it on medium settings :)

with an XT it should flow like water in 1280x1024,
anything lower is a waste

Run's pretty good at 1024 x 768 @ 85hz on my Shuttle FB51 2.4Ghz P4 with 1MB RAM and an MSI FX 5900XT.

How do you get it to show framerate - can you?!

Hi guys.

Just played for about 1 hour, and I like it. :thumbsup:

The game is very different to the original(s) as it has a very tense atmosphere, and is scaring me quite a bit. :blush:

It is running nice on my new rig at high quality settings, and looks stunning.

Cheers

Rob

gandley said:
only with a high refresh rate will it run like water :D im guessing you have a top spec monitor ?
otherwise it would be more like water running down stairs

iiyama vision master pro 512. @100 refresh.

But 85 would do i would of thought.?

gandley said:

I would use 1280x1024 if was playing on the TFT but I'm using the projector for the 8ft immersion factor ;) And that will only support 1024x768 before scaling(yuck!) occurs.

So yes I am wasting the X800 XT a little.

This game is dripping with atmostphere, sounds pop out from behind you, shadows move and its just a great game to play.

However its nowhere near as good as Farcry, which was for me, one of the best games ever on the PC. If I was a PC mag I'd rate Doom 3 as 85% after playing for around 6 hours.

Lorenzini said:
I'd suggest using FRAPS...

Thanks Lorenzini - I'd forgotten about using the console: com_showfps 1

Am getting about 60fps most of the time, dropping to 30 or so when there's loads going on.

However its nowhere near as good as Farcry, which was for me, one of the best games ever on the PC.

Hehe, doesn't bode well, I thought Far cry was quite poo :p Well at least technically good, but bored me quite easily.

How the :censored: do you manage to get the games so early? :mad:

Adrenochrome.

Its available online from plenty of places but afraid no one here can tell you where or how to get it.

I finished downloading it yesterday morning and have played it for a few hours now and have to say this is one excellent game, not only are the graphics the best I have seen on my PC but it also looks great at 800x600 on High Detail. I have tried setting the resolution higher and putting it on Ultra High detail and even though it is still playable it gets quite jumpy at times so I put the levels down to a level where the game looks very nice and it also runs quite smoothly.
One thing I love about this game are the interactive opjects, if you want to open up a weapons locker you go upto the number pad and the gun cursor changes to a pointer, your gun gets put away so you can then actually type in the numbers on the pad, very clever system which I hope other games use in the future.

One question though, does anyone know if it is going to be released over here as a DVD game like FarCry was or will it be 3 cds?

I dont think there is a demo of Doom 3, at least I havent been able to find one. I have the full game and so does ShinObiWAN I assume.

Indy,

I too like the polished look of the interactable keypads, something that should have been done a long time before, since its very intuative and doesn't interfere with the gameplay as others do.

Just got to the EMPro (Electromagnetic Processing or something).

Also like the little sentry bots the follow you around and attack the creatures but man is this game dark, I feel like topping myself after a 5 hour session its that bleak!
Also think I've put about another 5 years on my heart because I've had some really pant filling moments - especially those where the lights go, then you hear the groans and rip out your torch to see where the hell you can flee to :)

I'm now pinning my hopes on HL2 to top Farcry and Sinzer I'm dissapointed in you :D

One bit that freaked me out a little was a park where the lights where off and there was no one arround so I started looking around the sides of consoles for ammo clips and as I was going around I just walked straight into this huge demon guy with red glowing eyes who was just standing there waiting for me, this is one game that you dont want to play at night with the lights off :D

Don't forget to add the spoiler comments :p

I am so looking forward to playing in the dark with the lights off and the sound up! Horror games I love.

I guess I am an old skool FPS freak, I hate large open area games and prefer when they are enclosed. I think that Doom2 and AVP2 the marine chapter are my favourite FPS ever, tight corridors, fast enemies and lots of surprises.

Sinzer said:
I guess I am an old skool FPS freak, I hate large open area games and prefer when they are enclosed. I think that Doom2 and AVP2 the marine chapter are my favourite FPS ever, tight corridors, fast enemies and lots of surprises.
I'm with Sinzer on this... I play Far Cry every now and then, but I just don't feel the tension in the wide open areas. Its good, but not the classic like people make out (IMHO of course).

AVP2 marines was excellent (if a little too hard - damn fast aliens) as the atmosphere was spot on. The claustrophobia added to the experience and you could get cornered all too easily. I've bought my 5.1 speakers and 6800GT just for this one, as it looks like they've got the atmos spot on. That counts for me...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom