new Sony KV32CS70 RGB Problem

J

JoeyL

Hi all,
I purchased this new model Sony Widescreen last week, along with a Sony Home Cinema (DAV-SA30).
However, when I connected the lot up together, I entered the DVD player settings and changed its output from VIDEO to RGB - as I assumed I should??

When I do this, the DVD splash screen, menus, and whole overall picture is cast in a green tint. When playing a DVD it is especially noticeable on anything that should be white.

I've tried everything at this stage - I tried a couple of different SCART leads, I tried using all the other SCART sockets on the TV - all with the same result.

Yesterday, I called into where I bought it. Sales guy of course didn't understand what I was on about, but let me try the one on display (exactly the same setup). The one in the Shop has exactly the same "feature"!

I've researched these forums and I've seen some people with the same problem suggesting that the SCART may not be connected properly - I've ensured mine is, twiddled it, made no difference.

Any ideas?? :lease:

Just an FYI
After many phone calls, I had my new Sony TV replaced, only to find that the replacement has exactly the same problem. Every DVD player I connected to the TV gave a greenish tinge when using RGB SCART input.

Sony Centre have just contacted me to let me know that Sony themselves have now recognised this as an actual software problem which is affecting this particular model, right across the board.
Apparently, I was the first person in Europe to report this "bug"! Surely thousands of this particular model TV have been sold in the last few weeks - with many customers probably not aware of any fault.

I am told Sony are working on a fix, which will involve some kind of software upgrade on the TV. Worst case scenario is a full product recall.

So, anyone considering this new Sony model (KV32CS70), beware!!

Has anyone heard of this happen before? And how long do these fixes normally take to get done?! This experience has seriously put me off the Sony brand.

Does this model replace the Sony KV32FX68? Sounds like its not been quite right yet.

Yeah it does replace the FX68.

Hello,

I'm new here too, I bought the same model T.V. at the weekend KV32CS70 (actually it's a KV32CS70U, not sure what the U is for?) but have not had time to try out with Scart RGB connection yet.

I was wondering JoeyL since you said it worked perfectly on the T.V. in the store that it maybe is not an issue with every T.V. of this model so it must be a fault with certain T.V's?

Have you heard anything else regarding this problem since your post?

Andy

Hi Andy,
Sorry, no, I still have no solution/answer from Sony on this issue.
As I said, the replacement TV has the same problem, and as far as I'm aware it affects the whole of this particular model!! I think I did say in an earlier post that the one in the store worked - this was a misunderstanding on my part. First the sales guy told me over the phone that it worked in the shop ( I later saw that it didn't). I did see the older model TV working in the store though.

I tested the older Sony models in the store (FQ70 ?) and it did not have this problem.
To date, Sony have not come back to me, but they are aware that there is a software bug to be fixed. If I don't get a resolotion soon, I'll be looking for a refund - which has already been offered to me anyway. What I cannot understand is how something like this gets past Quality control and also why the TV is still for sale - with a known problem. In effect, 2 of its SCART connections do not work as intended.

It would be great if you and others with this model could test your RGB input and let me (and SONY) know if you have the same issue!

Joe.

i saw a KV28CS70 demoing Monsters Inc with a panasonic dvd player - can't say i noticed any green tinge on RGB (either on the dvd setup menu or the film). in fact i was pretty impressed by the image.

i was thinking of getting the 32in, now i'm a bit worried. judging by this forum, there isn't a widescreen crt that doesn't have any problems straight out of the box. :confused:

mgns

I just got home and tried my DVD player in RGB mode and sure enough everything seems to take a shift into the world of green, which is pretty dissapointing really. I guess we gotta wait now and see what the fix/solution is. I hope it's a quick and easy one.

Andy

Well, good news at last... I had my TV fixed on friday.
Half the problem (according to the Sony Centre Store) was them convincing Sony that there was a problem in the first place.
Anyway, it turned out to be an easy fix. The service engineer called out, entered the Service Menu on the set and changed "some value" (can't remember which?!) from 56 to 27 - or something like that. I think the problem was that the BLUE had the wrong RGB value set by mistake!

Apparently, I was the 1st person in Europe to report the problem - hence the delay, and apparently, there was a big arse kicking in Sony for allowing it to happen.
And yes, it affects all the sets sold up to now - but Sony now have the solution, so if you have this issue, contact them.

As an extra note of caution, the Sony Shop offered me an upgrade TV last week (at a minimial cost), and I was tempted, only to discover that the more expensive TV has a "pink" tinge on RGB! And this cannot be fixed so easily, so I'm told!

Joe.

JoeyL
Very glad to hear you've got this sorted! I'm interested in this TV....are you pleased with it generally? Especially now the green's gone! Which higher spec set had the pink?
I've also been impressed by the DX200 but I don't need the int dig tuner hence the interest in the CS70....been highly unimpressed with what I've seen of the FQ86!
Cheers
Grif

adh2020
Have you had your green sorted? What do you reccon of the set otherwise?
Cheers
Grif

Grif,
The higher spec set with the "unfixable" pink tinge was a KV32FQ86. It is also a brand new model (in Rep. of Ireland).
Just to note, I flicked through the Sony brochure here and there are some model/spec differences between UK and Ireland TV's.

Other than the green tinge, I'm very pleased with the TV overall. Its a great looking piece of kit - even when switched off!! A very attractive stand with glass shelves is included. Thats one of the reasons I was reluctant to go for a refund, because any of the Panasonics/Philips I looked at in the same price bracket didn't look quite as attractive in my eyes... (it was hard enough convincing the other half we needed a big telly in the 1st place!).

Just a couple of other minor negatives though:
- The remote control is a bit crap. It doesn't have any "switch" to allow you to use it on a DVD/video player, strangely enough.
- Not sure if its my imagination, but sometimes the "black bar" on top of the screen when watching DVD's, looks fractionally thicker/deeper on one side than the other. However, it is possible to rotate the picture to the left/right via the TV menu, to compensate..

Nice one Joey...thanks. I certainly hear you with regards to the "other half" ! Mind you, women are from another planet don't forget....Venus I think! :D

Shame about the remote....you'd think for that sort of dosh you'd get a half decent remote! Not enough to put me off though....need to go and check it out.
Thanks again.

Yeah, the remote control surprised me, because it looks identical to my mate's Sony TV remote (on a 1 year old Sony TV), except his has got the extra buttons for using it with your DVD or video or whatever.
Not to worry though, as I mainly use the Home cinema system remote instead, because I pipe the TV sound through the cinema speakers :)

Glad to hear that the this problem is easily fixible Joey, if the fix is pretty straight forward I would rather carry it out myself than get a service engineer round (time off work etc). I was wondering if there was anyone who knew how to access the service menu on this T.V. (KV32CS70), and also what this thing is I have to change. :lease:

I agree with the comments regard the T.V. when we were looking at T.V. I had quite a long short list, if that makes any sense. But one of the things I liked about it was the style and case design, it seemed to look better then the other T.V.'s. My girlfriend, and myself cannot seem to bring ourselves to like the black 'picture frame' surround that so many T.V.'s seem to be sporting these days. I guess that's just personal taste though.

One thing I would say though is that my remote has a 'push button' switch kind of in the centre of the remote, that moves a little green led between VCR, TV, and DVD. This switch allows control of my DVD player ok. To set it for the right kit you need to select which you want ie DVD then hold the yellow fast text button for six seconds, then entering the correct code (see manual) for your hardware. Sony is the default I think and is 001. I can control my Sony DVD using the TV remote and vice versa.

Andy

Thats a strange one on the remote control :confused:
Perhaps there is a slight spec difference here (I'm in the republic of ireland) - and hence a different remote...

As for entering the service menu, I've seen loads of instructions here on how to do it, I'd say its similar for most Sony sets, but I'd be reluctant to mess with it myself...

Perhaps they don't like to put extra buttons on the Irish ones incase it causes too much confusion! ;)

Seriously though, that is a little strange, the exact model number on my set is KV32CS70U (maybe the U is the difference), i'm in England btw.

As for the service menu mod, i'm gonna try find out and will post here if I do.

As for the T.V. i'm pretty pleased with it.

:thumbsup:

:) :)
The exact model number on mine is KV32CS70B.
I know that Irish TV's have a slightly different tuner in them than in the UK (something to do with Irish TV stations using a particular Frequency Band that is not used in the UK).

Let us know how you get on with the Service menu...

Hi JoeyL,

I was just wondering what you thought of the dvd playback on the CS70? Also, do you have Sky/Freeview connected up to the TV - if so what's the pitcture quality like?

Cheers for the help

mgns

mgns,
DVD playback is excellent, to my relatively non-expert eye. I'm using a Sony DAVS-A30 Home Cinema unit with it, which seems to give great pictures.

Sound on the Telly is not brilliant, but I mainly use the cinema system speakers anyway, as this also has the facility to output normal TV audio, converting stereo to Dolby Prologic II.

I don't have a sky or any from of digital TV signal (Yet!). But there are 2 RGB enabled SCARTs which makes this connection easy...

Cheers for the info JoeyL. The reason I asked about the Sky stuff is that people sometimes report problems with football/sky news on 100Hz (fast moving images + scrolling text). It's difficult to get an idea of how a CRT will cope with this as not many shops have the option or don't set their TVs up correctly.

Thanks again + I'm sure people will appreciate any new info, as there seems to be a lot of interest in this set.

Well, I've watched a fair bit of sport on mine already (on analogue terrestrial of course), and it looks perfect to me - but I guess it could be a bit different with a digital signal alright...
The shops are brutal I agree. They either have a very weak Sky news/sports signal relayed on all the display models, or they have a DVD playing in the wrong zoom mode, incorrectly set up, etc.. When I first reported the RGB problem I had, they insisted most people "don't bother" with RGB (!!).

I had a look at the CS70 at an independent dealer and they couldn't be more helpful + the price they quoted was a lot cheaper than the RRP. They had an IDTV but as it was 50Hz, it wouldn't have shown up any of the general 100Hz problems.

In any case, went to the Sony Centre and they had an FQ70 which had major ghosting (running all their sets off one aerial doesn't help for a start). Asked if I could have a DVD demo and they said "No, it isn't set up (they had one underneath the TV????) but the picture quality is very good" - whilst the independent dealer set the player up especially.

mgns

Ok, this is how my fix went.

Phoned Sony who admitted that there was a problem with the first batch of this model that went out, but would/could not advise me of how to fix, had to contact a sony service centre to take the t.v. in. (Brilliant, i'll just put it under my arm on my way to work in the moring, I thought)

Phoned Mastercare, with whom the t.v. is under warranty, and after two days of trying and prob nearly an hour of being on hold in total I get through and log the problem. They arrange an engineer to come out. I explain on the phone the problem and that other people seem to be experiencing the exact same problem and that I have been chatting on AV forum regarding this fault. I was then told that there was a lot of mis-information on AV forum and basically that a lot of info on it was of rubbish. I explained that the same was true of the sales people in the shops who sold the Mastercare warranty when they claimed it was good.

So the engineer comes round and I show/demonstrate the problem to him, but this does not go so well really, but since it's a new model he is not sure about the t.v. or how to solve the problem. I explain that sony seem to be aware of the problem and suggest contact with them to find the fix. He agrees and leaves.

Next, I think how hard can this be. I enter the sony service menu, scan down for any settings that don't look too good based on joeyl comments from his experience, and presto I see in the Scan Rate Menu the AGCADJB is set to 59 where the AGCADJR and AGCADJG are both set to 27/26. I change this Blue to 27 and all is well, the green has gone and I am as happy as a pig in **** once again.

Therefore my fix to this problem (try at own risk, non official and can be treated as a load of ******** cos its on AV forum) is this:

Enter sony service menu

TV on Standby : press i+ 5 volume + [ ] (teletext off) : tv comes on
press menu
scroll down to scanrate : press across (right)
scroll down to AGCADJB change value down to 27 (mine was 59)
press menu
switch off

my questions to the world:

a) why does everything have to be so damn difficult to solve
b) why do the manufacturers / engineers automatically assume that the customer is wrong, the picture actually should be really green and in general can't be trusted with the settings on a t.v.?
c) Why does sony not have any info regarding this on their web site or make a bit more effort to be helpful?

Andy

Well done Andy!

Actually, you said you changed the value to "27". The official Sony Fix document that my service engineer had said to change that value to "25".
i.e. the 3 values should be 25, 26, 27.

Can you be more specific on how you enter the service menu?
Which key on the remote is "i+" ??
I don't recall any keys on my remote labelled "i" ...?

Joe.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom