New Samsung 26" LCD

C

calvinhobbes

Has anyone seen or does anyone have any views on the new Samsung LW26A33W? Apparently it's a third iteration of the screen, which much better contrast and a response time of 16ms!!!

I've been trying to find one of these to look at since I heard of its existence.
I like the picture on the Samsungs but the 22 is a bit small and the 30 is slightly too big for the space I have.
John Lewis didn't have it when I looked last weekend. Comet have it on their website, but when I went to a branch yesterday they didn't have a model on display or even in stock (apparently the larger LCDs sell fast, but that's probably the usual Comet bullpoo).
The only other places that I've seen selling it are internet based (Digi-uk, QED, Waratah.co.uk (?)).
One thing I like about the Samsungs is the PC connectivity. I believe this one has VGA and DVI.

I'm interested in this too.

I seen it in comet and my girlfriend liked the look of it, which is a good thing (I prefer a plainer plasma look like the lg 30").

The picture seemed reasonable, but it's difficult to tell with the crappy feed.

The specs are good with 600:1 contrast ratio and 500cd thingys for brightness and <17ms response time.

It does have dvi and d-sub for pc which puts it ahead of the jvc for me and most importantly the cheapest price is £1165 at prc direct.

I'm hoping for a review but I've been itching to get something for a while so might just splash out.

Calscott, which Comet did you see it in? did you try it with DVD?

Cheers

It was in Milton Keynes. It had a comet video feed into rf which was split with all the other tv's. I didn't see any proper rgb scart dvd as there was no-one around to help and I didn't want any as they always seem to talk complete rubbish and wouldn't know RGB from KBG.

I'm going to wait a week or so on the offchance there is a review in one of the magazines next month. If not I'll probably get it anyway unless something else comes out or there's a bargain to be found.

me too - let me know if you take the jump - i'm going to keep looking for reviews in the mean time.

Hmmm... Comet mention support for progressive scan PAL and NTSC (as you'd expect from an LCD), however, it has no component ports on it... So it is scart progressive capable? Or only via the d-sub/dvi?

I'd have much rathered they remove one of the two scarts and give me component, much like DELL do with my W1700, so i can play xbox/gamecube etc. in progressive without using a component to vga converter.

Have you guys noticed that in the French Samsung brochure, they are quoting a response time of 14ms?

Cooliocat
If you look at the fnac test and at the back, where the specs are, the 30" version does have a component in as well, maybe if you hold out until the 30" comes to UK? Albeit with another 600pix on the price.

Update - people in the states and asia are waiting for the new Sharp Aquos series (US names LC-G series, Asia names LC-GD series), should be out anytime - sharpusa sharpglobal
One slight downside, Sharp will probably carry a premium on the price.

Its gonna be really interesting to see the new gens of Samsung & Sharp against each other.

Wasabi

I finally cracked and bought it yesterday.

I seem to have been waiting for years for a suitable LCD and I decided that the LW26A33 is it. The only place I could find it was Comet and that was a saga. I phoned up the number on the website (same number for all stores) and was told that they didn't stock the model (it could only be ordered), but certain stores had it on display. They told me that the nearest store with a display was Yeading, so off I went. No joy. They hadn't set it up yet. Later, after deciding that the only way I was going to get one of these before Euro2004 was to order it from Comet, I went to a nearer branch (Twickenham) to order it. As the guy went through the ordering on the computer, I noticed that the Yeading store was listed with 2 in stock (i.e. not just display only). So, back to Yeading to get the damn thing.

For those of you with more sense than money:
John Lewis expect it in 2 weeks (1695GBP)
PRC Direct said 3-4 weeks (about 1200GBP)

First impressions: very good picture compared to my last telly (14" 15yrs old, so not much to compare). Analog tuner is wasted on the widescreen, so I'll be getting a freeview box and DVD player soon.

Best toy I've had since the Yamaha XJ600S.

Anyone know if the Samsung has a true 16:9 screen or the more usual LCD 15:9 screen?, I'm torn between the Samsung 26 and the Panasonic 26 TX26LXD1, the Panny has a 15:9 screen but has built in Freeview (but costs more) but no DVI-HDCP!

Hi guys,

Fruitbat-im just about to buy mine online now!

I was a bit nervous as I’m a rank amateur with this type of technology and this is the single most expensive item I’ve ever bought myself. It looks very cool though and I think I have found a really good price-(less than £1,200), think I might get the extended warranty though…

Well thanks for the info i’m feeling reassured that the spec is good, I will let you know how I get on!

I take it you're buying from Electrical Discount UK? They're doing the tv, 4 year extended warranty and delivery for £1313.

PS I'm thinking of waiting till after Euro 2004 when all the prices should come down after the pre tournament scramble for new tellies.

Electrical Discount said they didn't have any in stock when I rang on Tuesday

calscot said:
PS I'm thinking of waiting till after Euro 2004 when all the prices should come down after the pre tournament scramble for new tellies.

Ha! Guess why I bought mine in such a hurry.

Fruitbat

What's the quality of the TV like? How is the footy on it?

Did you compare it to the others before buying it? Am thinking of taking the plunge too!

calvinhobbes said:
Fruitbat

What's the quality of the TV like? How is the footy on it?

Did you compare it to the others before buying it? Am thinking of taking the plunge too!

The footy is watchable. It seemed fine to me until the England France match (first match on ITV) which was poorer but still watchable (apart from the result). The ITV signal seems weaker here. The picture improved going from a VCR with a scart (perhaps the VCR has a better tuner?). I've still to try with a digital tuner. Generally, I'm very pleased with it. Picture looks good from an angle as well.

I did compare with others, but I was resticted by the amount of space that I have. I wanted to put the TV on an existing shelf unit, so I was limited to 80cm width. The Samsung is one of the few flat tvs without speakers on the side. I also wanted something with PC input.

I delayed buying an LCD because I wasn't sure if the footy would be watchable. I saw some Sky footy on a 32" Samsung (LWA32A23 I think) and it looked fine. I figured that the LW26A33 being a later model would be at least as good, so I bought it without ever seeing it (not something I'm inclined to do, but I was sick of waiting).

I should add that my previous TV was a 14" and 15yrs old, so it was bound to be a vast improvement on that.

chrismox said:
Have you tried the PC on it? If so, happy with the picture?

I haven't really had time for this yet. The PC is quite big and in another room. It's got a freeview card in it, so I could test that at the same time.
At the moment it's work, watch football, sleep and not much time in between...

Messiah said:
Comet in Slough also had one on display last week. Was hoping they'd have the 30" as another poster said he saw the 30" model in a Comet (I'll try to find to find the thread) and I think he said it had component as well as HDMI and DVI.

Actually the next biggest model is the 32" (annoying 'cos aboaut 30" would be ideal for my likely viewing distance), and I saw that in Currys (only place I've seen the 32" in fact... Comet on the same business park only has the 26").

And yes, the 32" has HDMI, DVI, component 2 SCARTs and others (which as I said in my original post, I can't remember specifically what they were).

I'm eagerly awaiting views from people who've got one of these & have taken time to calibrate it and use it with DVD, Freeview & X-box. It meets the crucial GAF criteria (although I've only pointed out the 26" to her... will have to try and persuade her she was really looking at the 32" if I do get it... ;) ) as well as being pretty much future proof in terms of connectivity.

Any more reviews on the 26" Samsung? Haven't seen it in any of the mags and can't find it in central london.

calvinhobbes said:
Any more reviews on the 26" Samsung? Haven't seen it in any of the mags and can't find it in central london.

Rather elusive this TV. Nowhere seems to stock it (don't know where you are in London but Orpington & Croydon Comet apparently have display models).

Saw the 32" model in currys today, very nice but mysteriously blurred. Think this was most likely the input rather than a fault with the TV.

Which 32 inch model did you see?
The older LW-32A23W version with side speakers, or is there such a thing as the LW-32A33W (maybe with speakers underneath) yet?
No info on the samsung UK website yet about the LW32A33.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom