Just for fun! :)

ShinObiWAN

Ex Member
Reaction score
After seeing Taz and Retro's RTP-12 project it looked like a lot fun and an easy build.

So I went along to BK and ordered up a BK 100w Panel and BSB-12.

Only took me a day to cut the MDF and router out all the details and then another 2 days spraying and finishing - most of this time was taken up with waiting around for the paint/lacquer to dry out :rolleyes:

Anyway here's the result:
Shinobiwan3264-sb02.jpg

Shinobiwan3264-sb01.jpg

Shinobiwan3264-sb03.JPG

I was impressed with the sound, especially since the electronics and driver only came to £150. So I expected it to reflect this price tag. But no, its definitely no dud. In fact having had some experience with the Rel Q100e, which is essentially what this sub is (same driver and amp virtually), I can say that its pretty much identical in sound and performance. Very real output to around 25hz after which it quickly diminishes.

One thing I have noticed with this sub is that it really does sound 'slammy' for want of a better word. What I'm trying to say is that its great with quick short thumps that hit hard.

My main sub, the XXX, believe it or not is outclassed by this 'cheapy' :) when it comes to musicality or maybe it just blends better? Eitherway it sounds great with music and nice with AV. The XXX absolutely smashes it to pieces on AV though ;)

Now I've had my fun, I am in fact selling this for anyone interested. See here for the thread in the classifieds:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132066

Thanks go to RTP for the initial plans on the enclosure :smashin:

Originally posted by ShinObiWAN
After seeing Taz and Retro's RTP-12 project it looked like a lot fun and an easy build.

Thanks go to RTP for the initial plans on the enclosure :smashin:

:blush:

Cheers again Taz n' Retro.

Think I might have a go at a couple of compact 1 cuft Peerless XLS10 enclosures for stereo subs. Might even do the RTP-X but am concerned about the size issues. What are the exact dimensions of the RTP-X?

My Relax-12 sub DIY story is on here somewhere as well which is also very similar to this (and based on rpt-12 etc.). It's my first true sub but I love it, and I'd love to build a bigger more powerful one (just aint got the cash, and kid #3 is now on the way!). For anyone wanting a starter sub I'd have to say this is a kick are deal, and if you don't like the colour, just cover it!! http://matthew.augier.info/?album=/DIY/Relax-12& showing with some fablon on it.

Well I have the original and I still love it!!! It even makes it presence known over the SPL-800 I have! Fantastic sub!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom