DIY sub panels

Mat-Moo

Established Member
Reaction score
Out of these two, which one do you think would be best (Preferably based on experience).

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog_name=CPC+Catalogue&product_id=260654 at £86.86 (£101.50)

or

http://www.bkelec.com/Diy/sub.htm at £100ish (£117.44)

Most on here seem to use the BSBp100 panel yet the otherone seem better spec'd and cheaper.

My temptation at the moment is to go with the BSB 100 + BSB 12"/100w combo which has been used (From what I have read on here) to much good effect (Wish I had the cah to spend on the BX10 combo!). Would there be a problem in using the bsb 12" in a down firing position (To stop my kids poking fingers at it)? TIA

The CPC amp plate is rated into 4ohms, so running into a BSB12 would be closer to 125W anyway. The BSB amp plates reputedly sound better than a lot of the similar priced competition also.

I'd not run the BSB12 vertically, and feel safer running it horizontally with a good grill on the front to stop those prying fingers. Reson for this being that I don't think the drive was designed for vertical running and the suspension (rubber surround) may not be suitable to hold the driver 'up' when tipped over.

Stick with what works then :) I'm not a huge fan of grills, but I guess my Wharfedale Cinema 8's have got them so no biggy. Is it possible to get some dimensions for the rpt-10/12 project box to see if I can copy that (Owner seems to like it so that's good enough for me!!)
(BTW thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas!)

Best box demensions for the BSB12 driver are those used on the REL Q100e. Shape can be adjusted to suit the room, so long as the internal volume stays the same.

For bits for making the grill, look around the CPC website, plenty on there.:smashin:

Forgot to ask - I seen mentioned in other threads about Gaskets.. I guess these are similar to what you use on car engines but for the panel and sub? Where do you get those from, or could I use sticky door foam insulation material? Also wadding? Thanks.

Wadding you can get from CPC also, or if you can find it get some Dacron, kinda hi-tech wadding.:)

Gaskets are basically to stop your air from leaking from around the driver and amp, or other (deliberate) holes in the enclosure. We at RTP :)grin: ) tend to use strips of neoprene foam or similar, so long as it seals well it's good.

How much wadding would you suggest? 20l be enough? Don't want to udner do or over do it (so to speak). Getting quite excited now by this project :) Been something I have wanted to do for ages.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom