Samsung Omnia i900 Firmware updates here

MarkR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After hours and hours of trying to work out how to update my firmware on my Orange Omnia i900 I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread of any firmware updates for your current versions. My phone came with version BVHH1 and find below how I updated this:-

Orange firmware update for version BVHH1 to MSHJ1
Please note that this update is not from Orange but does work as it works perfectly on mine and all the others with this Firmware

I have had various issues with my current Firmware especially with very poor signal issues when on the move and limited battery life. My ROM version is BVHH1 and I am with Orange. Orange deny there are any problems with this Handset and were not prepared to do anything about it (Although my average bill is over £100 per month:mad:).

After extensive research I have now worked out how to update my current ROM version BVHH1 to MSHJ1. These are the instructions I followed from Member tigersden on Samsung-Omnia.org Forum below:-

After reading some good info on News I thought I would try it on my branded Orange Omina which had the following versions:
PDA: i900XXHH1/BVHH1
Phone: i900BVHH1
I was getting impatient waiting for Samsung to release an update for my version.

After the update the phone is unbranded
Heres what I did
1) Go to the official Smasung update site: Samsung Mobile
2) For the version check enter the following version MSHH1 you will then be able to download the official MSHJ1 updater.
3) Edit the following registry key on the Omina HKCU\ControlPanel\Version\CustomVersion to MSHH1
(The original keys value on mine was BVHH1_HH1 I just altered it to read MSHH1_HH1)
Check this setting has been stored by using the version checker in Start\Settings\System
4) Run the official updater.
If all goes correctly you should end up with the following versions:
PDA: i900XXHJ4/MSHJ1
Phone: i900XXHI5

Remember: Flashing is done at your own risk!
I hope this info may prove helpful to others.

If you do not have a reg edit program just type this url on your mobile PHM Registry Editor : Pocket PC Edition and then select download. Once you have done this from the Package Selection select 'Pocket PC 2000 (ARM)'. Simply install this from your mobile after download is complete. You can now open this program and alter the version.

Last edited:
Hi there. does anyone have a tried adn tested solution for flashing T Mobile. I currently have the dreaded BOHH5 version adn the battery drains faster than a siv full of water. Any updates would be appreciated. I have typed BOHH5 on the offical Omnia site they say i have entered an incorrect code - meaning they don't have an update version yet.... or so they say ??????

After hours and hours of trying to work out how to update my firmware on my Orange Omnia i900 I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread of any firmware updates for your current versions. My phone came with version BVHH1 and find below how I updated this:-

Orange firmware update for version BVHH1 to MSHJ1
Please note that this update is not from Orange but does work as it works perfectly on mine and all the others with this Firmware

I have had various issues with my current Firmware especially with very poor signal issues when on the move and limited battery life. My ROM version is BVHH1 and I am with Orange. Orange deny there are any problems with this Handset and were not prepared to do anything about it (Although my average bill is over £100 per month:mad:).

After extensive research I have now worked out how to update my current ROM version BVHH1 to MSHJ1. These are the instructions I followed from Member tigersden on Samsung-Omnia.org Forum below:-

After reading some good info on News I thought I would try it on my branded Orange Omina which had the following versions:
PDA: i900XXHH1/BVHH1
Phone: i900BVHH1
I was getting impatient waiting for Samsung to release an update for my version.

After the update the phone is unbranded
Heres what I did
1) Go to the official Smasung update site: Samsung Mobile
2) For the version check enter the following version MSHH1 you will then be able to download the official MSHJ1 updater.
3) Edit the following registry key on the Omina HKCU\ControlPanel\Version\CustomVersion to MSHH1
(The original keys value on mine was BVHH1_HH1 I just altered it to read MSHH1_HH1)
Check this setting has been stored by using the version checker in Start\Settings\System
4) Run the official updater.
If all goes correctly you should end up with the following versions:
PDA: i900XXHJ4/MSHJ1
Phone: i900XXHI5

Remember: Flashing is done at your own risk!
I hope this info may prove helpful to others.

If you do not have a reg edit program just type this url on your mobile PHM Registry Editor : Pocket PC Edition and then select download. Once you have done this from the Package Selection select 'Pocket PC 2000 (ARM)'. Simply install this from your mobile after download is complete. You can now open this program and alter the version.

Hi Mark,
Am looking at an Omnia for my Vodafone upgrade,
had to smile when i read what you wrote -

"I have had various issues with my current Firmware especially with very poor signal issues when on the move and limited battery life. My ROM version is BVHH1 and I am with Orange. Orange deny there are any problems with this Handset and were not prepared to do anything about it"

Nearly the exact same thing happens over at Vodafone's forum!

Good idea, this thread, good insight,
thanks
:thumbsup:

Hi, first post just to let you guys know that the above method worked perfectly for me, from BVHH1 Orange UK firmware (yuck!) to MSHJ1. Cool - thanks for this, good work! :thumbsup:

Great really pleased it has worked for you too. I have certainly noticed a huge difference in longer battery life and the signal issue is a lot better although it still drops calls on occasion.

Be interested to hear your comments after you have tested it for a few days.

Welcome to the Forums by the way. :thumbsup:

Hi Markr:

Just get my Omnia and have read a lot about the software upgrade, so decide to go for it.
However, will need a little help from you with this line:
"3) Edit the following registry key on the Omina HKCU\ControlPanel\Version\CustomVersion to MSHH1
(The original keys value on mine was BVHH1_HH1 I just altered it to read MSHH1_HH1)", if you can give me a "step by step" guide to do it I will appreciate it. So far, have been trying to find a way on my phone to do it, but without success.

Regards,
Edgar

The only way you can edit this line is with a dedicated program that needs to be installed on your mobile. Here is how you do it:-

Step 1: Click on this link to download the PHM Registry Editor http://www.phm.lu/downloads/download.aspx?{940B734A-C437-41C7-ADED-2A4418802FD3} and then click on 'Download PHM Registry Editor : Pocket PC Edition'

Step 2: Select the 'Pocket PC 2000 (ARM)' version from the drop down menu.

Step 3: Once this has downloaded to your PC you then need to transfer this file over to your Mobile using Active Sync.

Step 4: From your Mobile locate the file you downloaded, this is usually best found by using File Explorer. To find this goto Start - Programs - File Explorer.

Step 5: Double click file and it will install PHM Registry Editor.

Step 6: You should now be able to edit the Registry Key.

Let me know how you get on. :cool:

Last edited:
I updated mine this morning after seeing this thread with the how to :thumbsup:

Does seems to be a little faster reacting and signal although still not great around home has improved slightly - that I've managed to have a call and finish it when I want. I think the problem I have in my location is I get a poor 3G signal so when it drops it goes to 2G calls seem ok, if I make a call when its on 3G quality is not the best.

Anyway thanks for the instructions, made it pretty easy.

Also once I got the setup back the way I use it some of the icons have been updated but not found any major problems so far.

out of interest whats the easiest way of backing up the config to save having to reset it all ?

Has anyone tried this upgrade on a T-Mobile UK branded omnia?

I would be interesed to hear how it went.
Thanks
Tony

these people appear to be keen on this update;

New Clean i900 Rom - WinMo @ MoDaCo

what I'd like to know is if I go through a procedure like this how would it affect my vodafone contract? especially my unlimited internet browser?

From what i know, the only way it would affect a Vodafone contract, is: they would not repair it for you, you would prob have to send it to Samsung, but check first, i know several people have lost faith in VF's ROM's and converted to others, imacken, for one, if VF find out that you are not running a VF ROM, don't think they can do anything else,
hope this helps
:)

So has no one done this upgrade on a T-Mobile Omnia (UK or otherwise)?

I am eager to try but would like to hear about any problems before I brick the phone.
Thanks
Tony

So has no one done this upgrade on a T-Mobile Omnia (UK or otherwise)?

I am eager to try but would like to hear about any problems before I brick the phone.
Thanks
Tony

I cant see you hitting any problem no matter which provider you use, once upgraded its unbranded.

I cant see you hitting any problem no matter which provider you use, once upgraded its unbranded.

The two main reasons (apart from performance) I am looking to do this is
1) Active Sync will work with two computers.
2) Divx works with more divx files

Number 1 is my most important.
Has anyone confirmed that this update will correct this problem?
Also is there a way to backup the current image incase I want to back out the update?
Thanks

Id also be interested to know if anyone has tried this on T-mobile

Hi guys.
I have an Orange branded Omnia, and want to get rid of their crap.
I've tried to follow the instructions posted but I don't have a 'values' folder in the control panel so becomea bit stuck.
Can anyone suggest what i can do?

thanks
:)
Paul

The only way you can edit this line is with a dedicated program that needs to be installed on your mobile. Here is how you do it:-

Step 1: Click on this link to download the PHM Registry Editor PHM.lu Download Center and then click on 'Download PHM Registry Editor : Pocket PC Edition'

Step 2: Select the 'Pocket PC 2000 (ARM)' version from the drop down menu.

Step 3: Once this has downloaded to your PC you then need to transfer this file over to your Mobile using Active Sync.

Step 4: From your Mobile locate the file you downloaded, this is usually best found by using File Explorer. To find this goto Start - Programs - File Explorer.

Step 5: Double click file and it will install PHM Registry Editor.

Step 6: You should now be able to edit the Registry Key.

Let me know how you get on. :cool:

You need to change the values and the only way to achieve this is to follow the instructions above. You can tell what version you have by going to Start - Settings - System and then Version. Let me know how you get on.

Higuys you all seem to know your stuff, could anyone help em with my problem (I posted a thread today) im really stuck and have no phone! my version is MSHG1 not sure if this has anythign to do with the problem

Hi,

I have updated from Orange firmware update for BVHH1 to MSHJ1.

Everything is fine, the only thing is that I can’t get WAP and MMS configurations to work.

Vodafone sent me the configuration by a text message and it didn’t work. I got the message, enter password, the I got a message saying your configuration has been changed, but actually it didn’t do anything to the configuration, still I don’t have access to the internet through Vodafone live. Also I have tried the WAP and MMS configuration from Samsung website by a message as well and it didn’t work, the same that happened with Vodafone message.

Vodafone sent me an email with settings below to do it manually but I don’t find the way around.

Live! settings:
These settings should be in place by default.
To set them manually:
Go to Start>Settings>All settings >Connections>GPRS.
New>Live
Connects to: work
Access point: live.vodafone.com
Username: dublin
Password: dublin
Authentication type: none

Internet Settings:
To set them manually:
Go to Start>Settings>All settings >Connections>GPRS.
New>Misp
Connects to: The Internet
Access point: isp.vodafone.ie
Username: vodafone
Password: vodafone

MMS GPRS Settings.
To set them manually:
Go to Start>Settings>All settings>Connections>GPRS.
New>MMS.
Connects to: MMS network
Access point: mms.vodafone.net
Username: dublin
Password: dublin

Can some one help me to set up my WAP and MMS for Vodafone Ireland

Thanks

cheers

I have now upgraded my firmware to MSHJ1 on orange. Process was really straight forward. I used CeRegistry Editor, which runs from host PC. The best thing about the firmware upgrade is that it gets rid of the orange skin. And I have to say this alone makes the look and feel of the phone much better.

Mine does not read this in the registry, BVHH1_HH1 it just reads BVHH1 do I have to put in all of this MSHH1_HH1 or just change it to MSHH1

I have now upgraded my firmware to MSHJ1 on orange. Process was really straight forward. I used CeRegistry Editor, which runs from host PC. The best thing about the firmware upgrade is that it gets rid of the orange skin. And I have to say this alone makes the look and feel of the phone much better.

Went for it anyway using the above method and worked a treat.:clap:

I upgraded my T-Mobile (UK) branded Omnia yesterday and it worked fine.
I will report back in a few days about my experiences but for now it seems all good.

Currently upgrading my sons omnia.

Note: information on both the "Storage card" and "My Storage" was NOT deleted during the upgrade - but I would suggest, as with any upgrades, do a backup first.

Hope this helps
Tony

Hello

My custom version is BVHH1_HJ2.If i were to change it to MSHH1_HH1, will it affect the system?

thanks!

I made the firmare update as indicated with one glitch. At the beginning, the update is making a reset and at the restart ActiveSync didn't start. I was waiting for 20 minutes and nothing happened. Then I made a hard reset which didn't reset but actually started the update.

However, I do have a big problem now. In order to make the phone working (and the network I think), it asks me for a PIN. What kind of PIN please? It doesn't seem to be the SIM card PIN. How many digits? I already tried few numbers without success and I'm afraid I'll lock the phone. This phone was carried by Orange in the UK.

If you guys already did this update, you should have had the same situation. Please, advice me! Many thanks! Liviu

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom