How do I get upgraded firmware for Sagem HD-D50 G4?

HellraiserUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Have a Sagem HD-D50 G4(T)(2) set, and it suffers from the annoying issue where HDMI sources drop out for no reason - after browsing a few French forums, it appears this is fixed in the new firmware. At the moment I am running the following:-

Application HD-D45BC1 18
MCS 11
Formatter 6
Teletexte SUB V2.21
CW index delay 33

(In case you're interested, to access this info on your set press tvmenu then go to install, sources, config and then enter 3698.

Anyway, I am on the 18 firmware and the 20 firmware fixes this, but as Sagem no longer provide support in the UK, who do I go to to get the firmware?

Please help!

Hellraiser............>

i think it can only be done by an engineer!! through the port at the rear of the set!! if u find u can let me kno

You can not do it yourself, becourse you need a little black box between your pc and the Sagem set. You also need the RsDiag V.4.3 program, firmware and the unblocking code. Want to read more about it, give me a
mail.

Attachments

• rsdiag.JPG
    rsdiag.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 719
The lack of support for these sets is getting to be a pain! As I've just posted in another thread, my crashing DVBT receiver is making the set unwatchable - and the audio's never worked on HDMI from day 1.

As someone who works in the consumer electronics development industry, I'm more than happy flashing new software into products, if only the tools are available.

If my TV becomes unusable only 3 years after purchase, do I have a case against Sagem, or Comet or nobody?

this is weird as mine is now going faulty for the same reasons as you guys!

bought it 3 years ago from comet £999 (did you guys get it after seeing it on here as well?!) with 5 year cover. we dont use the inbuilt freeview (got a toppy) but it kept switching over to its own freeview, scanning then failing to save any channels. this was about 8 months ago so got comet out. all they did was turn off update search. this helped for about 4 months before it started doing it again (but not scanning just changing to freeview). around the same time the temp light would start flashing before the bulb started. got comet out who changed the buld but nothing improved. now i'vegot the screen off the tv! they've took the rest away to test.

i've also notice (since my surround sound was dismantled so we could replace the flooring) that sound through HDMI will be crackling about half the time i use it

whats making me wonder now is what comet will do if they cant repair it? i've got 2 different forms 1 says that if they cant repair they replace or refund (my fav!). the other form says that they will offer a replacement of similar spec, if i dont want it they will offer comet vouchers for the value of the replacement but not exceding the original price.

anyone had dealings with comet on refunds before?

Last edited:
this is weird as mine is now going faulty for the same reasons as you guys!

bought it 3 years ago from comet £999 (did you guys get it after seeing it on here as well?!) with 5 year cover. we dont use the inbuilt freeview (got a toppy) but it kept switching over to its own freeview, scanning then failing to save any channels. this was about 8 months ago so got comet out. all they did was turn off update search. this helped for about 4 months before it started doing it again (but not scanning just changing to freeview). around the same time the temp light would start flashing before the bulb started. got comet out who changed the buld but nothing improved. now i'vegot the screen off the tv! they've took the rest away to test.

i've also notice (since my surround sound was dismantled so we could replace the flooring) that sound through HDMI will be crackling about half the time i use it

whats making me wonder now is what comet will do if they cant repair it? i've got 2 different forms 1 says that if they cant repair they replace or refund (my fav!). the other form says that they will offer a replacement of similar spec, if i dont want it they will offer comet vouchers for the value of the replacement but not exceding the original price.

anyone had dealings with comet on refunds before?

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. He had some cheap brand 42" plasma (£1200 at the time thought), it started showing blacks as greens and they couldnt fix it. They gave him £1600 of comet vouchers and he bought a philips ambilight thing and a surround sound kit. Wouldnt be my choice of what to spend £1600 of vouchers on but great service on comets part.

You can not do it yourself, becourse you need a little black box between your pc and the Sagem set. You also need the RsDiag V.4.3 program, firmware and the unblocking code. Want to read more about it, give me a
mail.

You have mail mate, I just wish I could find the link to that French forum where someone was actually talking to the Sagem using Hyperterminal and an RS232 level converter. If I could get hold of the software and the pinout of the service port, I'd happily knock up a cable and do it myself then share the knowledge :(

Hellraiser..........>

Right, on the subject of updated firmware....

I've spoken with Sagem and BL020 is the latest firmware rev for the D50, as I suspected. I have found the pinouts for the cable to connect to the service port, and have the parts on order to make the cable. I also have the BL020 firmware and have circumvented the protection check on the firmware flasher, such that it now looks for the set on the appropriate com port rather than just sitting there asking for an unlock code.

Stay tuned for further details once the parts for the cable arrive :)

Hellraiser.........>

hw much did the cable cost??? would you be prepared to sell it on if successful?|??

The cable is nothing more than a 9 pin D female to 8 pin mini-din, cost wise it's a couple of quid. Will publish details if successful (and if Sagem don't mind me uploading the firmware).

Hellraiser..........>

About the upgrade cable or as the Frenchman said in the French forum
The cable is a DIY self, using a cable of MiniDIN
modified mouse on one side and the other a DB9 connector.
There are only 3 wire in the cable: In, Out and mass.

Attachments

• upgrade cable.jpg
    upgrade cable.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 277
Well, not had much success - for some reason the cable doesn't seem to work, even though it's wired correctly. Just wondering if it's an issue with the USB com port I'm using, but will investigate further.

Hellraiser..............>

Here's a diagram of the cable and the pinout, is there any chance someone here could knock one up and try it on their G4T Axium? Can't get it to work on mine, and just wondering if maybe my service port has died....

Cheers

Hellraiser.........>

Attachments

• sagem cable.jpg
    sagem cable.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,492
Something isnt right with that diagram. It specifies HW flow control but then the pins arent connected so its wired for SW flow control only.

Try switching the flow control to sw and see if that fixes your problem.

Good call, will give it a go and see what it does. Seems weird that the site it came from has used those exact settings and had success though.... Perhaps as they were using an adapted mouse cable, they had rts/cts tied together?

Hellraiser.........>

Could be, effectively leaves it with no flow control tho so just switching off flow control might work. I'm suspicious of the function of that black box on the official service connector. It has a power supply and is a very big box for simply connecting a DB9 to a mini din.

Happy to make up a cable and give it a try. I don't have the update software or any info on what response to expect with a terminal app tho.

Can provide you with the software no problem, basically Hyperterminal should display the boot process as the set is brought up from standby, and detail stuff such as how many hours the lamp has been used for.

If you want to knock up a cable, it would be appreciated - whilst I agree the official Sagem service box looks a bit meaty the fact that the French forum have had success connecting with this cable and hyperterminal and have been able to access a rudimentary command prompt within the set leads me to believe this should work, particularly as the update package itself covers all models of the Axium line. If you want some more info (and if your French is good), check out page 46 of this link:-

http://redirectingat.com/?id=223X35...Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLJ,GGLJ:2006-07,GGLJ:en

Hellraiser.............>

Sadly my french is pretty grim but with the help of google translation I'll put a cable together and see how I get on.

Cool, let me know how you get on, will be most interesting to see :)

Hellraiser.........>

Not having much success so far but finding more info so still trying.

Simply wiring up as per the diagram doesnt work. I checked the voltages and the connections are making contact (had to perform major surgery on mouse connector when I found some pins weren't wired) but no data is transferred. Outputs from the Sagem are 3.3V and I begin to suspect that the port is an RS422 rather than RS232 as it matches a apple mac serial connector and I'd be surprised if sagem invented there own connection spec from scratch.

In theory you can wire a 422 and 232 together but it can be problematic (as we are finding) but I'm going to persevere as I'm feeling challenged :)

Lol, problematic is indeed the case! I don't suppose anyone on here has scrapped their Axium and can provide the interface board for further testing? Devbod, if drop me a PM with your email I can send you a copy of the firmware if you're feeling confident :)

Hellraiser...............>

Not having much success so far but finding more info so still trying.

Simply wiring up as per the diagram doesnt work. I checked the voltages and the connections are making contact (had to perform major surgery on mouse connector when I found some pins weren't wired) but no data is transferred. Outputs from the Sagem are 3.3V and I begin to suspect that the port is an RS422 rather than RS232 as it matches a apple mac serial connector and I'd be surprised if sagem invented there own connection spec from scratch.

In theory you can wire a 422 and 232 together but it can be problematic (as we are finding) but I'm going to persevere as I'm feeling challenged :)

Had any luck so far?

Hellraiser..............>

Biggest problem is fighting over the tv with the kids! Sorry for delay, car died and needed some serious attention to get it back on the road.

Getting closer but not quite there. Using a pcmcia serial port I can now get garbage output but at least the sagem is clearly trying to send the data. Suspect my pcmcia card is less fussy about the signals than my laptops native port but I'm thinking my cable might now be the weakest link. I might investigate getting/making a 'proper' cable.

Thanks for the link you sent, still hoping to make good use of it :)

OK, well if I can be of any assistance please let me know! I'll keep an eye out and see if I can glean any more info off my Sagem contact, though he seems to have gone quiet now :(

Hellraiser...........>

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom