Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR Master thread - [Part Six]

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Press Red on BBC is slow compared to the TV which is lightning fast.....
That's interesting. Until a week or so ago the red button/text button on mine was instant. Then, without me doing anything at all to the box, it started taking ages to work. It's still instant on the TV tuner though.

Last time I had a similar problem it was on my Sony VTX-D800 and it turned out to be something the BBC had done which upset freeview boxes which used a certain chip. The problem was solved at the BBC rather than Sony.

When the box is first switched on there is no access to the text for 2 to 3 minutes. After that, if I change channels or access the text and then come out of it again, it takes 10 seconds or so to respond to the text/red button again.

If I switch on the BBC1 news at lunchtime the "press red" icon used to pop up immediately - now it takes 2 or 3 minutes before it appears.

I was going to try a factory reset, but if it's not just me with the problem I'll wait.

Anyone else noticed anything?

I need to find (be told of) a good free de-Muxer to strip out the Audio from the HD TS file.

I would first try the demux option in Smartlabs TSMuxer GUI. This is based on tools used in the broadcasting industry and should work. Or try eac3to which should also work but nowhere near as user friendly.

Hi all,

i took delivery of my HDR Fox T2 yesterday. Set up all seemed to go well - came preloaded with latest software so i have access to iPlayer etc.

I have two issues. I have read through most (all?) of the T2 master thread but cant see the answers to my problems. if they are there please can you point me to the right thread?

Issue 1 - i have connected my T2 into my router and can view iPlayer etc. When i enter media and network it sees my NAS (Lacie NetworkSpace2). If i select audio i can follow the menus through and find/listen to all my mp3's. However, if i choose video, i dont seem to see all the folders on the NAS, and it only shows me a very small subset of my video files folders. when i enter these folders they are empty. Almost all of the files i am looking for are .avi, encoded with either divx or xvid.

I have taken a few files at random off the NAS and they play fine via USB straight into the back of the T2 so i'm assuming its not file compatibility. I have seen another post re. this issue online (not on this forum) but there is no posts back to help. Any anyone on here help?!?!

2nd Issue: this seems a common problem - i have a panasonic Tv and am connecting the T2 to the TV via HDMI. every 3rd or 4th time (approx) that i turn on the T2 I get no sound. I have to turn the T2 on and off a few times and eventually the sound comes through. I assume this is a T2 error based on what i have read but please let me know if this sounds more like i should be returning the box and asking for a replacement.

Thanks for reading the above and I hope you can help me.

Steve:lease:

Does the T2 lose your scheduled recordings if you rescan for channels like the old 9300 used to? Need to rescan mine but wasn't sure if I should make a list of what I've got scheduled first.

Experienced a issue when pausing live tv recently- it will pause the picture but the sound continues! Doesnt happen everytime though.

I've seen this also. It seems to happen if you have the remote set to control the TV and have pressed the TV button prior to pressing pause. In this case it is somehow able to pause the picture but not the sound - presumably because it is not controlling the PVR at this point. If the PVR button is pressed first then it will correctly pause the PVR.

Thanks,
JB

Does the T2 lose your scheduled recordings if you rescan for channels like the old 9300 used to? Need to rescan mine but wasn't sure if I should make a list of what I've got scheduled first.
Yep a rescan will lose the channels scheduled recording and need to be reset up - not a lot been added recently from CP quite a few updates but all mainly Adult or name changes like Sky to Pick etc

what channels are you after ?

First, this is my first post ever, on any forum, so apologies if I get any formalities wrong.
I have a Humax Foxsat HDR - no further identification on the machine or handbook - but it was from first availability 2 (or 3?) years ago.
I have used it with SD and HD from day 1, and am very pleased with it, and I am now using it for Digital Radio, as I have added an AV unit and decent speakers. And I am still very pleased with it.
I have recently had the problem mentioned on other posts, of the audio stopping after the picture, but ......
My question is about storage capacity. I record and save some programmes until convenient to watch, and then delete. But some (such as films) I store for yonks, and would like to keep "for ever".
So, I regularly run with memory 90% full. It has 300/360Gb. Can this be replaced by 1 or 2Tb? And if so, how?
Thanks

Yep a rescan will lose the channels scheduled recording and need to be reset up - not a lot been added recently from CP quite a few updates but all mainly Adult or name changes like Sky to Pick etc
You don't need to rescan for channel name changes: mine picked up the Sky3 to Pick change and the Five channels name changes without me doing anything.

Hi all,

partly fixed me own issue re. seeing the video files/folders.

If i select video media, and navigate through to the 'videos' folder, i next get a set of folders re. photos. If i keep the main media selection as Video, but then select the 'photos' folder, i can see and play all my video files. Not 100% sure if this is a problem with the T2 software, but have decided not to update at this stage as i have a work around.

If anyone else is having a similar issue, feel free to send me a message and i will try and explain more clearly how i have found the work around.

Hi all,

i took delivery of my HDR Fox T2 yesterday. Set up all seemed to go well - came preloaded with latest software so i have access to iPlayer etc.

I have two issues. I have read through most (all?) of the T2 master thread but cant see the answers to my problems. if they are there please can you point me to the right thread?

Issue 1 - i have connected my T2 into my router and can view iPlayer etc. When i enter media and network it sees my NAS (Lacie NetworkSpace2). If i select audio i can follow the menus through and find/listen to all my mp3's. However, if i choose video, i dont seem to see all the folders on the NAS, and it only shows me a very small subset of my video files folders. when i enter these folders they are empty. Almost all of the files i am looking for are .avi, encoded with either divx or xvid.

I have taken a few files at random off the NAS and they play fine via USB straight into the back of the T2 so i'm assuming its not file compatibility. I have seen another post re. this issue online (not on this forum) but there is no posts back to help. Any anyone on here help?!?!

2nd Issue: this seems a common problem - i have a panasonic Tv and am connecting the T2 to the TV via HDMI. every 3rd or 4th time (approx) that i turn on the T2 I get no sound. I have to turn the T2 on and off a few times and eventually the sound comes through. I assume this is a T2 error based on what i have read but please let me know if this sounds more like i should be returning the box and asking for a replacement.

Thanks for reading the above and I hope you can help me.

Steve:lease:

I have posted this on another board but nobody has tested it out for me, namely my Fox HDR T2 1GB Drive [I don't think it's the latter which is the issue], crashes out on specific internet radio station using the current software.

Thus I would be grateful if some kind sole can check out whether they can listen to Soma FM Suburbs of Goa - best to do a word search on "Goa", currently third down [techno India music if you wondered]. It plays a bit, squawks a bit and the box reboots. Also it does the same on Soma FM Sonic Universe....

It seems to me that the buffers get stuffed up and it takes a wander into other places in the memory and it crashes the box. ie. I think it's a programming bug related to the parameters of the station, so if we can gather the knowledge base on this one Humax may do something about it.

For those that have yet to buy a HDR-Fox-T2...

I've had mine for a week now - a 1Tb version direct from Humax. At the same time I also bought Devolo AVPlus 200Mb Homeplugs from Humax. Bought separately they cost £90, but only cost £53 if bought alongside a Humax PVR.

It's connected to my Panasonic 37PX600 via HDMI. I haven't used the supplied remote, as I already have a Harmony 785. Once programmed to operate the HDR-Fox-T2 it works flawlessly.

The Humax is much easier to use than the broken Panasonic HDD that it replaced.

Strongly recommended purchase.

I have posted this on another board but nobody has tested it out for me, namely my Fox HDR T2 1GB Drive [I don't think it's the latter which is the issue], crashes out on specific internet radio station using the current software.

Thus I would be grateful if some kind sole can check out whether they can listen to Soma FM Suburbs of Goa - best to do a word search on "Goa", currently third down [techno India music if you wondered]. It plays a bit, squawks a bit and the box reboots. Also it does the same on Soma FM Sonic Universe....

It seems to me that the buffers get stuffed up and it takes a wander into other places in the memory and it crashes the box. ie. I think it's a programming bug related to the parameters of the station, so if we can gather the knowledge base on this one Humax may do something about it.
Tried it on my 500GB HDR and it does exactly what you say. Lasted about 60 seconds then crashed the box!

First, this is my first post ever, on any forum, so apologies if I get any formalities wrong.
I have a Humax Foxsat HDR - no further identification on the machine or handbook - but it was from first availability 2 (or 3?) years ago.
I have used it with SD and HD from day 1, and am very pleased with it, and I am now using it for Digital Radio, as I have added an AV unit and decent speakers. And I am still very pleased with it.
I have recently had the problem mentioned on other posts, of the audio stopping after the picture, but ......
My question is about storage capacity. I record and save some programmes until convenient to watch, and then delete. But some (such as films) I store for yonks, and would like to keep "for ever".
So, I regularly run with memory 90% full. It has 300/360Gb. Can this be replaced by 1 or 2Tb? And if so, how?
Thanks

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, especially to a first-time flyer, but if you really do mean FOXSAT then you have posted in the wrong forum. This forum is for the HUMAX FOX-T2 HDR - which is the terrestrial FreeviewHD PVR.

However, as it has similarities with the T2 I assume it has at least one USB master socket, and I recommend you off-load your archive material to external drives rather than just stuffing up the internal drive, however big it is.

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for that, a positive result that it's an inherent bug... I trust Humax is listening.... they ignored my email to them.

On this other one that you hear people moaning about where the Iplayer keeps failing... the partner was having that issue tonight... I suggested that one paused the programme on the basis that it was flow control and if you paused and waited for the lights on the router to stop flashing, then you had downloaded it to the hard disk and it would probably play. True to form it did without problems.

On the other... evidently beta testers don't listen to Soma radio. I've never found beta testers too reliable in that they get off on the task rather than get on with the job... least in the professional world of software testing.

That's interesting. Until a week or so ago the red button/text button on mine was instant. Then, without me doing anything at all to the box, it started taking ages to work. It's still instant on the TV tuner though.

Last time I had a similar problem it was on my Sony VTX-D800 and it turned out to be something the BBC had done which upset freeview boxes which used a certain chip. The problem was solved at the BBC rather than Sony.

When the box is first switched on there is no access to the text for 2 to 3 minutes. After that, if I change channels or access the text and then come out of it again, it takes 10 seconds or so to respond to the text/red button again.

If I switch on the BBC1 news at lunchtime the "press red" icon used to pop up immediately - now it takes 2 or 3 minutes before it appears.

I was going to try a factory reset, but if it's not just me with the problem I'll wait.

Mine too! Yesterday I watched the rugby on BBC1 and wanted to go to the forum but there was no red button.
I entered 301 for the forum,this worked for approximately 90 seconds after which the TV switched to BBC1.I had to repeat the process throughout the whole programme.
Seems ok this morning.
Regards
Rob

Mine too! Yesterday I watched the rugby on BBC1 and wanted to go to the forum but there was no red button.
I entered 301 for the forum,this worked for approximately 90 seconds after which the TV switched to BBC1.I had to repeat the process throughout the whole programme.
Seems ok this morning.
Regards
Rob

Seems ok this morning.
Regards
Rob
Ah, the plot thickens. Which transmitter are you on? I'm on Sutton Coldfield which is undergoing changes ready for the switchover in September.

There's a reasonably flattering review of the 3View box in the May (I know......) edition of Home Cinema Choice (plus some other interesting reviews).

Seems the 3View has the one feature I bought the Humax for, and which has yet to be implemented - the ability to act as a media server to other network-connected devices.

Looks like I'll be scouring the appropriate forum on here to see if the 3View firmware is stable enough for me to want to buy the box.

I'm SO disappointed that Humax are dragging their feet on this.

rob

Hi all,

Been reading these forums for a while but I've started to run in to some problems.

Recently my Humax has started to display a message something along the lines of "no signal or channel available" only on the HD channels. I try changing the signal detection which seems stuck on "54" showing no signal to any of the others that show signal but no picture is displayed, if i exit the menu and go back again then its back on "54". The only way to rectify it is to switch the box off at the back and on again, it has done this every day for the past week but up until then (3 months) it was worked fine. Is this a sign that the box is going faulty?

Secondly FTP backup just doesn't work. I've tried command line ftp and Filezilla. It connects and sends the password fine but when it comes to the LIST command to display whats in the directories it just freezes and times out. I contacted Humax about this but they just told me to try the default password, which I already had, upon replying they haven't bothered responding now.

Lastly could anyone shed any light on this one. I only have a HD-Ready TV but on the HD channels I find sometimes I get a sort of blurring effect. It seems to happen randomly and can happen on true HD programs and the upscaled ones. You mainly notice it on peoples faces as they turn round. Its hard to explain but looks like a computer game running at 10fps for 2-3 seconds, after that it is fine. I thought it was something to do with video-mode being in 1080i or p so changed it back to 720p and you still get the same effect every so often.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

There's a reasonably flattering review of the 3View box in the May (I know......) edition of Home Cinema Choice (plus some other interesting reviews).

Seems the 3View has the one feature I bought the Humax for, and which has yet to be implemented - the ability to act as a media server to other network-connected devices.

Looks like I'll be scouring the appropriate forum on here to see if the 3View firmware is stable enough for me to want to buy the box.

I'm SO disappointed that Humax are dragging their feet on this.

rob
I've had a 3view since last May so you might also want to have a look at my 3viewpvr.info for collected 'hints and tips' and news. There's also a copy of the Manual on there.

I've had a 3view since last May so you might also want to have a look at my 3viewpvr.info for collected 'hints and tips' and news. There's also a copy of the Manual on there.

Thanks - I've been thinking further on this subject.

I'm not overly worried about HD recordings - SD is fine for my purposes.

So I'd welcome input on a suitable non-HD PVR that can stream recordings TO any DLNA-equipped devices on the network.

Other DVB-T2 features would be required - twin tuner, series link, etc.etc.

Any advice appreciated.

rob

Hi all,

Been reading these forums for a while but I've started to run in to some problems.

Recently my Humax has started to display a message something along the lines of "no signal or channel available" only on the HD channels. I try changing the signal detection which seems stuck on "54" showing no signal to any of the others that show signal but no picture is displayed, if i exit the menu and go back again then its back on "54". The only way to rectify it is to switch the box off at the back and on again, it has done this every day for the past week but up until then (3 months) it was worked fine. Is this a sign that the box is going faulty?

It might just be you are not getting very good HD reception, your aerial might have water ingress, or cabling problem, local interference or transmitter on reduced power. If you haven't already I'd try a channel rescan to see if that helps.

It may also be faulty. What signal details is it showing when the channels are working?

Secondly FTP backup just doesn't work. I've tried command line ftp and Filezilla. It connects and sends the password fine but when it comes to the LIST command to display whats in the directories it just freezes and times out. I contacted Humax about this but they just told me to try the default password, which I already had, upon replying they haven't bothered responding now.

It is pretty pointless anyway unless you are running out of disc space. The backup is useless. If the box fails and you get it replaced (or buy a replacement) the recordings will not work on another box.

Lastly could anyone shed any light on this one. I only have a HD-Ready TV but on the HD channels I find sometimes I get a sort of blurring effect. It seems to happen randomly and can happen on true HD programs and the upscaled ones. You mainly notice it on peoples faces as they turn round. Its hard to explain but looks like a computer game running at 10fps for 2-3 seconds, after that it is fine. I thought it was something to do with video-mode being in 1080i or p so changed it back to 720p and you still get the same effect every so often.

This is due to a couple of things, and is quite a common problem. First of all our TV is interlaced, this means anything that moves has half the resolution of something that is static. As the HD channels are very compressed, when something moves the compression struggles more and the picture loses some detail. Also the way LCD works, our eyes following something on the TV actually causes blurring. You don't notice on SD so much as the quality is bad enough to mask most/all of these issues

Regards

Phil

Now upgraded to latest software -

The HDR read a Sony USB pen at first attempt (hangs briefly at 88% as others have said before continuing).

All channels and timers still present.
(UPDATE - the Series Links still show in the schedule but no icons are showing in the EPG..... It's possible to then set another series link on the same programme, resulting in two instances of the intended recording appearing in the schedule - looks like a bug (Pace Twin had a similar but harmless glitch) - will see if the recordings still happen even though no icons appear in the EPG).

V format still works.

Getting Dolby Digital 5.1 when broadcast, otherwise 2.0.
(Needs to be direct optical from HDR to Amp even though TV instructions (LG) suggest that 5.1 loops through the TV).

Reads Jpegs and HD Mpeg Video's from Digital Camera via USB without any conversion on PC needed.

HD Audio is now lower - but that's not a fault - it's due to dynamic range.

Remote works LG TV, JVC Freeview DVD Recorder, Sony AV. (Even gives direct access to the TV's scan settings which is only accessed via a menu on the TV's own remote - very useful).

Not tried iPlayer yet.

Picture on the lowest bitrate SD channels - it's not 'softer' - it's less pixelated / less blocky / less over sharpened. Looks better in my view. (Plasma screen)

I'm on Emley Moor which is visible on the horizon and my Aerial is in the loft, split 3 ways, seperate booster at each outlet - all works well.
Has anyone got experience of using the HDR to power a mast head amplifier 3 or 4 way) which would be neater?

Overall still very happy - no real problems. This forum has been a huge help - big thanks to all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom