Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Five]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Four of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Five.

For reference,

Part One can be found here

Part Two can be found here.

Part Three can be found here.

Part Four can be found here

Thank you.

Just wondering about using the SPDIF optical out so I can get DD5.1. If I plug my DS into an amp then does the DS automatically mute the HDMI audio? There doesn't seem to be an option for this in the setup.

Hi Fmrl

No option to mute HDMI.

I just select as appropriate with my old Nakamichi Amp - Apparently new Amps have setup options to choose the input to associate with an HDMI passed through them ! !! !!!!

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
Boogersa said:
Thanks. Found it. I notice that to upgrade the firmware is different to the method covered in the manual. I upgraded to latest version following the method in the manual - using the front usb socket - and I don't remember having any issues. I take it that both methods for upgrading are valid?

It won't have done the full update including the Micom update. You should run through it again following Pete's instructions in the FAQ to ensure everything is updated as it should be.

No option to mute HDMI.

I just select as appropriate with my old Nakamichi Amp - Apparently new Amps have setup options to choose the input to associate with an HDMI passed through them ! !! !!!!

Ta, I don't think I'll bother then. My amp only has phono and optical connectivity (no hdmi) so I'd have to mute the TV every time I wanted to watch something with the audio running through the amp.... might be a good excuse to upgrade the amp though :thumbsup:

Fmrl said:
Just wondering about using the SPDIF optical out so I can get DD5.1. If I plug my DS into an amp then does the DS automatically mute the HDMI audio? There doesn't seem to be an option for this in the setup.

Do you have the HDMI connected into an AV amp to provide video switching? If so, then you should be able to adjust the setup of the AV amp so that input takes sound from the optical input rather than the HDMI input and you won't have any issue then.

If you run HDMI direct into the TV and optical to the amp, I think your only option is to turn down the sound on the TV.

EDIT - too late again!

Do you have the HDMI connected into an AV amp to provide video switching? If so, then you should be able to adjust the setup of the AV amp so that input takes sound from the optical input rather than the HDMI input and you won't have any issue then.

If you run HDMI direct into the TV and optical to the amp, I think your only option is to turn down the sound on the TV.

EDIT - too late again!

The HDMI cable from the DS goes straight into the TV. My amp is an old Yamaha AV system that pre-dates HDMI. Shame really, I have a PS3 connected in the same way and that has an option to point the audio to HDMI or SPDIF (or both). Not a biggie anyway, I could do with a new amp.

Ta, I don't think I'll bother then. My amp only has phono and optical connectivity (no hdmi) so I'd have to mute the TV every time I wanted to watch something with the audio running through the amp.... might be a good excuse to upgrade the amp though :thumbsup:

Hi

What Prof said :smashin:

That is what I did with my last TV - Just lowered the TV volume.

My amp only has Phono-Line and SPDIF inputs (No HDMI) the same as yours.

Cheers
Pete

"The next update" was mentioned earlier - is there any news as to when this is likely to surface? As I recall, when 4.02 was being slated for release as the EoN ("End of November" for any newcomers) update, the next update after that (the one which would have more wishlist items in it) was being referred to as the EoD (End of December) update - later put back to EoJ with the delays to 4.02

Are we still looking at EoJ, or will it be EoF?

Last edited:
"The next update" was mentioned earlier - is there any news as to when this is likely to surface? As I recall, when 4.02 was being slated for release as the EoN ("End of November" for any newcomers) update, the next update after that (the one which would have more wishlist items in it) was being referred to as the EoD (End of December) update - later put back to EoJ with the delays to 4.02

Are we still looking at EoJ, or will it be EoF?

Correct me if i'm wrong, But I think Pete did mention End of February unless this has changed.

Re the Blackhill tuning problem, I have decided to leave well alone,and ignore the re-tune.However,I have done my Humax with no problems,and wonder if this is purely a conflict with the DS,or if I am just lucky. I am a bit afraid to find out which is the case by retuning the DS,so wonder if anyone else has similar equipment to compare.

Ratchet ,
I e-mailed MIT on sunday but no reply as yet, described the symptoms so hopefully another e-mail will help.

No joy on craigkelly would not allow me to choose the slightly weaker signal

Ratchet ,
I e-mailed MIT on sunday but no reply as yet, described the symptoms so hopefully another e-mail will help.

No joy on craigkelly would not allow me to choose the slightly weaker signal

Thanks for the update. That's 3 of us reported the problem to them now so hopefully they will take notice.

Re the Blackhill tuning problem, I have decided to leave well alone,and ignore the re-tune.However,I have done my Humax with no problems,and wonder if this is purely a conflict with the DS,or if I am just lucky. I am a bit afraid to find out which is the case by retuning the DS,so wonder if anyone else has similar equipment to compare.

I retuned 3 TVs at the same time and they were all fine. I've got an old Wharfedale PVR that I've yet to re-tune and will give this a go tonight. If you can do without STV+1 for now I'd hold off on the re-tune.

Thanks for the update. That's 3 of us reported the problem to them now so hopefully they will take notice.

Well, i've got just under 4 weeks before I lose the option to return it to John Lewis. Don't want to but I don't want to keep it either if it can't get all the channels properly.

exclamationgif.gif
Anyone else think these threads are being closed far too quickly? Nothing wrong with a long established -and maturing- thread. Also, it means links work and can be updated which is usually a good thing on the Internet.

Got my Harmony 300 -initial impressions: I don't like it. I'll have a closer inspection but I just don't like the way it sits in the hand. Saying that if it works as I expect I'll keep it.

However, I've decided to go for the other remote I mentioned (as above -One For All URC9040) just in case because there's an eBay Seller doing it for £6.99inc. That's a no brainer for a quality item like a One For All.

tinyhelpicon.gif
Me and the DigitalStream DHR8205U

tinyhelpicon.gif
AVF DigitalStream DHR8205U FAQ

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Blackhill

I had that problem with the Humax 9200 a few weeks back -nightmare it was. No such problem with my DS though.

exclamationgif.gif
Anyone else think these threads are being closed far too quickly? Nothing wrong with a long established -and maturing- thread. Also, it means links work and can be updated which is usually a good thing on the Internet.

The reason for these closures is because of a limitation in the forum software.

Threads cannot be allowed to go over 999 posts.

The forum will be moving to new software at some unspecified point in the future which should remove this limitation.

Blackhill

I had that problem with the Humax 9200 a few weeks back -nightmare it was. No such problem with my DS though.

Are you sure it was the same problem, STV+1 only launched last week (11th).

Hi

It was a problem caused by a previous forced re-tune that I think affected all channels. Channels becoming stored in a random order I believe ! Only affected one transmitter and one make/model. Karlin will have more details.

Pete

Hi

It was a problem caused by a previous forced re-tune that I think affected all channels. Channels becoming stored in a random order I believe ! Only affected one transmitter and one make/model. Karlin will have more details.

Pete

If its only across a couple of channels, is it likely to to be a similar problem? Still it is only affecting users within the Black Hill reception area so it does look similar but not 100% the same issue (e.g. not all channels affected).

GO ON! Re-tune and see if your affected user number 4!

Hi, after completing update 4.03 / micom 1.31 yesterday I am now getting lock ups. The picture / media keeps running but the FP and remote stop working. I have to switch off from the back. Doesn't do it every time but too frequent to live with. Any advice please? Thanks.

Ah, maybe not. I hadn't noticed STV+1 TBH until just the other day but it's not working (sound but broken picture). I just removed it because I'm sure I had the same 'effect' with ITV3 or similar. I put it down to my aerial.

The Blackhill/Humax thing (I may be getting my wires crossed) was a messy thing where the EPG and channels got all mixed up post re-tune as it was trying to find another set of channels and added an extra digit to the channel numbers -not pretty.

Only niggle I've had on 4.03.r7732 is part recordings (all STVHD I believe) where I get things broken into 2 with .new. I can't say for sure but I'm darn sure the box is booting up fully when this happens and then back to sleep (ie back to standby).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom