360 style pad for the PS3

Ratinho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Now, before anyone starts the usual, this isn't really an invitation for debate. I'm sure some prefer the PS3 pad, as i do for adventure games and others BUT for FPS i need my sticks in the right place and decent triggers. My hands are too big for the PS3 pad when it comes to this and they cramp up having to claw inwards to use it.

So, anyone know of any? That definitely work, not down the speculation route as i've tried before.

http://www.play.com//ProductOutline.aspx?title=3507653&r=PCSH for example works fine until you try and play Resistance 2 and the sticks don't seem to point in any kind of correct direction. Left is up, right is down, cats and dogs LIVING TOGETHER.......

Cheers in advance.

Have you looked here?

Unfortunately wired only at the moment.

Now, before anyone starts the usual, this isn't really an invitation for debate. I'm sure some prefer the PS3 pad, as i do for adventure games and others BUT for FPS i need my sticks in the right place and decent triggers. My hands are too big for the PS3 pad when it comes to this and they cramp up having to claw inwards to use it.

So, anyone know of any? That definitely work, not down the speculation route as i've tried before.

I'm in the same boat mate, DS3 is great for everything but FPS's IMHO.

There's these that are due any time but no reviews yet. I'd love them to be good but I'm sceptical:)

Glad i spotted this post,i find the six axis controller to small for my hands(makes my hands sweat:eek:),i don't mind the location of the sticks,just the overall pad size.So keeping tabs on this thread.:smashin:

I'm amazed a 3rd party hasn't done a wireless xbox 360 clone (yet).

Posted in the other thread on this subject, the Shadow Wireless pad from dreamgear is available now BUT they don't ship to the UK.

Shambles.

Posted in the other thread on this subject, the Shadow Wireless pad from dreamgear is available now BUT they don't ship to the UK.

Shambles.

I've dropped Dreamgear a line to see if they'll consider shipping to the UK or if they have any plans to get these to a distributor/retailer over here

I'll post back when/if they get back to me:)

If there's enough interest we may be able to get a bit of a discount for a bulk purchase..

Good idea. If there's $250+ for them, they might reconsider.

Same boat here, Always had a PS 1 2 & now 3 but befor the 3 came out I had an Xbox and and I mch prefered there controller. I would not pay over the odds for a wireless one if it could be bought as I still think the PS3 is good, just not as good as the 360. But lets face it the PS3 is better than the 360 thats why I sold mine to fund a PS3 and would not go back at all.
I agree it would be great if you could get a wireless PS3 controller for £40 ish shaped the same as a 360 one

Don't pay $250 for one though.

+1 for one of those controllers. I always get multi platform games on the Xbox at the moment as the controller is better (and the 360 tends to be the better version). If the PS3 has a better controller (DS3 is good, just not AS good as the 360 controller) then I may be swayed so start buying none exclusive PS3 games. (My mates on PSN will be chuffed)

heh I was suggesting they'd possibly ship here for an order for 5+ units totalling over $250. not offering them that for one.

Not $250 better than my DS3, but very possibly $55 better.

Hey Gang,

I have just bought a ps3 and I was saying earlier today to a work mate that i prefer the xbox360 pad and there should be a 360-esque pad for it.

So if there is any chance of a group buy of one of these i will definately be interested.:smashin:

Will keep checking on this thread for any updates,

Flash:smashin:

I've dropped Dreamgear a line to see if they'll consider shipping to the UK or if they have any plans to get these to a distributor/retailer over here

I'll post back when/if they get back to me:)

If there's enough interest we may be able to get a bit of a discount for a bulk purchase..

I'm in mate, let me know if you hear good tidings :smashin:

Well, I received a reply but it's not what you'd call particulalry helpful

You may be able to order this controller from a distributor who carries our products. You can try searching for it online the item number is DGPS3-1343

Gee, thanks Dreamgear:thumbsdow

I did as they suggested but it brings no results so I've replied asking if they'd be interested if I were to order 10. We'll see:)

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Bought a PS3 a couple of days ago and the pad has already crippled my hands. It's spoiling my enjoyment at the moment. Sony need an urgent lesson in basic ergonomics. Going back to the 360 pad after extended PS3 use is pure heaven.

I've put caps4stix on the teflon-domed thumbsticks (massive improvement) and have some trigger add-ons arriving today (hopeful for those), but the pad itself is just too small, too uncomfortable, and the stick layout is all wrong.

I then found this onewhich looks promising and is out next week.

Apparently the previous wired one did not support PS3 rumble, but this one does. The best feature is being able to reverse the left stick/dpad orientation which makes the layout the same as the 360.

pic of the wired one with the left thumbstick/dpad flipped

Still can't work out if it supports sixaxis, but the overall 'feel' is supposed to be very close to the 360 pad (if reviews of the identical, but wired, predecessor are to be believed).

Important question: is sixaxis tech closely protected by Sony? Are they the only company who can use the tech in PS3 joypads? I've seen a few third-party pads that are of interest, but I can't remember any of them offering sixaxis support.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Important question: is sixaxis tech closely protected by Sony? Are they the only company who can use the tech in PS3 joypads? I've seen a few third-party pads that are of interest, but I can't remember any of them offering sixaxis support.

Damn, that is an important question that I'd completely neglected to think about. Apparently sixaxis support is needed for elements of Killzone 2 so any pad without would be useless for that game:(

So, come on - does anyone know whether 3rd party manufacturers can build motion control into their PS3 joypads?

Or can sixaxis functions in PS3 games be turned off and controlled normally?

Found a user review on the NeoGAF forums. No mention of sixaxis support though!! :mad:
Has it or hasn't it? If sixaxis support was confirmed then i think i'd take a punt on the wireless version. Gotta be worth a gamble for £25.

Report on the Saitek:

Overall build quality is good, if not OEM-level. I'd put it on par with the Logitech PS2 controllers I've used before. Much better than what I typically think of when I think of 3rd party controllers -- which is to say, better than MadCatz.

The thumbsticks have concave tops like an Xbox controller, which I REALLY prefer to the mushroom tops on PS controllers, though they are still as loose in feel as any PS controller, as opposed to the stiffer feel to the Xbox sticks.

The triggers are unlike any I've used before. They feel like they've got a little bit more travel than the stock controller, but the bigger difference is that they have a wide, flat paddle shape to them, rather than either the traditional trigger of the Xbox or the glorified button feel of the Dual Shock 3.

The D pad is, as already mentioned, pretty awful. It's too tall and its action feels rubbery. I can't imagine this really making a difference on anything but a fighting game, though. For any other game these days, the D-pad has been ghettoized to minor roles.

The cable is a stnadard length, which means that for my living room, I had to put a USB extension cable in place to play from my couch. Not a big deal, but it definitely makes the the move back to wired a little more inconvenient.

Overall, my small complaints with it haven't kept this from instantly supplanting the Dual Shock 3 as my preferred PS3 controller, especially for first person games. The offset left thumbstick is just THAT big a deal for me. If and when a wireless version is made available, I'll be first in line.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
OK, third post in a row, but what the heck...

I found a Logitec PS3 joypad with motion sensing, so that means that YES - third party devs CAN make non-oem joypads and include sixaxis support.

lookie here

It looks awful - no larger or more comfortable than the DS3, but confirms that sixaxis support IS possible.

I've emailed Saitek about the PS3500 wireless pad I linked to in the previous post, asking about sixaxis support. I'll let you know if they reply. They are based only a few miles from me so I might nip in and see if they'll let me fondle one...

Anyone know anything about this one?

Video Games - Chillstream Controller PS3, controller for PlayStation 3

Is it any good? Its made by logitech so I would imagine the quality would be quite high.

Edit: Ignore that pic, it is the 360 version of the chillstream. The PS3 one has the analogues in the same place as the sixaxis.

So the search continues.....

Last edited:
That's not going to solve the motion sensing issue, which is the only possible problem with the ones in here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom