PS3 DVD playback problems - brightness flicker

BritBoB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have noticed over the past few weeks that when I playback DVD's through my PS3 the brightness or maybe contrast flickers up and down every few minutes (ie the image will momenterily get brighter then return to normal, sometimes repeatedly like a strobe and sometimes just once). At first I thought it was just during darker scenes but have realised that it's all the time but it's just easier to notice in the darker scenes. Blu-Ray and game playing are absolutely fine it only seems to effect DVD's.

I have tried turning off the upscaler but the problem is still there. I have played with the picture settings on my TV but that makes no difference either. I have my PS3 set at auto output (TV only accepts RGB) with superwhite off and colour limited and I have all other PS3 AV settings off. My PS3 is connected to my plasma (older Hitachi 42PD5000) using and HDMI to DVI cable and the PS3 is set to 720p & 1080i output as this is the best the TV does.

I still have my old DVD player for multi region attached using component cables and there is no brightness flicker at all so I have gone back to using this but would love to be able to use the PS3 as the upscaling looks better than the old picture apart from the flicker which I now find too distracting.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be or how I might be able to fix it.

Thanks, Bob

It is a TV setting. I know this sounds wrong because everything else seems to be working properly, right? :suicide:

There is a problem with the communication between some TV's and the PS3. I have a JVC and once I turned off the "Color Management," "Dynamic Gamma," and "Smart Picture," all flickering stopped.:smashin:

Remember, you need to switch the above settings off while watching something with your PS3 (or whichever input is having issues). Most newer TV's remember the settings for each input, so if you change the settings on the wrong input, it won't fix the problem.

Hope this helps!

Turn off power management on your tv too. Many flicker in energy saving modes.

Worth looking at the settings on the PS3. Have to be vague because I can't turn my PS3 on at the moment, but somewhere in the DVD settings you can select between RGB and some other setting (Pb Yr ?? type setting).

I found this was producing some flickering on DVD, esp. during the credits and also very occasionaly some strange colour reproduction (where there were colours on a black background - l especially remember this on the split screen clock-countdown bit on the 24 DVD).

i have all settings of on my Hitachi pd9700 i have the same problem using my BDs550, only happens on "men in black"
Odd

Sorted mate:

Go on the Hitachi Picture menue.

Find colour Temp,Managment and decoding. Switch off and all will be well

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom