USB Headsets.

CeeJay775

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can you use any USB headset for the PS3 voice chat or would it be better to use a bluetooth headset. I have read through the headset thread but its was only about Bluetooth headsets, also is there any offical sony PS3 blutooth or USB headsets. Thanks.:)

i use the socom usb headset, but i think any will work.:)

I would rather go with a USB one because of price and the cheper B-tooth ones could have problems. I have seen some bluetooth ones for £10 I am sure they'll have problems, I can get a USB headset for £5-£10 and just fell that would be better, if anyones knows different please say. Thanks.:smashin:

I agree mate, the cheap blue tooth sets are rubbish. you need to be spending upwards of £25 for a decent branded bluetooth set. With a USB one you can't go too far wrong. I got the plantronics for £40 but I use it for my phone as well as the PS3 so really it cost nothing :)

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll just get a basic USB one. I found one in for £8 with just a function to speak and hear, the logitec ones are smart but I relly dont need them for full sound, if I did they would be perfect.:)

SUPER GOONERS

im after a head set too and im not overly botherd about cost so around £30 odd is fine

did someone mention that you can hear people talk, talk to people and hear the games sound (shooting ect)

i run my ps3 through my 5.1 denon home cinema system so dont need the game sound to come through the head set

any ideas?

preferbly play.com as they are quick and ive an account there

Another option is to use the bluetooth headset u would normally use with your cell phone (since u cant drive and hold the phone:D )

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll just get a basic USB one. I found one in for £8 with just a function to speak and hear, the logitec ones are smart but I relly dont need them for full sound, if I did they would be perfect.:)

What do you mean by "full sound" exactly? The one I use (see below) doesn't have the game sounds , music, etc, coming through the headset. You can only hear people's voices through it and use it to speak to them. The game's sounds come through my surround sound kit as per normal. Is that what you meant?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=384683&category_oid=

thoese look great a si prefer propper headphones not that hang on the ear crap

so these you got from pc world are perfect are they if so ill buy them today

just found the exact same 350's on ebay for £16.95 and £7.95 P&P from canada with a 99.9% feedback rating

ive bought them

do they plug into the front of the ps3 and then run a long lead from the usb on the ps3 to the headphones so they are not bluetooth or wireless (which i prefer)

just found the exact same 350's on ebay for £16.95 and £7.95 P&P from canada with a 99.9% feedback rating

ive bought them

do they plug into the front of the ps3 and then run a long lead from the usb on the ps3 to the headphones so they are not bluetooth or wireless (which i prefer)

They plug into the USB port on the front of the PS3. The lead is 6 feet long. There is also a volume control and a mute button on the headset end of the cable.

superb

so ive paid £23 in P&P for a set so im happy as this for me is the best solution

all i need to do now is stop being pants at the games

list 1
Cardo Scala 500 - No problems, no re-registration/pairing, as long as 1 device at a time
Cardo Scala 700 - NO reregistration issue, can pair with both phone and PS3 and toggle b/t the two

*Encore Electronics ENBTHS-011 - works

Jabbai (verizon) "no problems"

Jabra 250 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
Jabra BT 125 - works "great", specifically known to work in fight night and Resistance. NO re-registration. i person noted connectivity issues
*Jabra BT 135 works
Jabra BT150 Works
*Jabra BT350 works, conflicting on re-pairing/registration issue
*Jabra BT500 works but re-registration/pairing issue
Jabra JX10 - Works, good battery life

*LG HBM 300 - works

Motorola H700 - works, but re-registration/pairing issue with at least one version. is apparently an a and a b version. ?conflicting reports
Motorola HS850 - works, but re-registration/pairing issue
*Motorola HS830 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
Motorola HS820 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
Motorola HS810 - 2 reports that is "ok"
*Motorola HT820 - conflicting reviews, 3 say works but re-registration/pairing issue, 1 doesn't work at all, 1 no problem
Motorola H500 - Works, NO re-registration/pairing required. bluetooth 1.2
Motorola H3 (looks like a RAZR) - works well, NO re-registration/pairing required
Motorola H300 - works "great", NO re-registration, but 1 reported poor sound
Motorola H350 - works, "flawless", NO re-registration/pairing. bluetooth 2.0
Motorola HS805 - works ? if have to re-register/pair
*Motorola H670 - 1 report works ok
*Motorola H605 - I report works ok

Nokia HS-26W - works "great"
Nokia BH200 - works NO registration/pairing needed

Plantronics 320 - Work, NO reregistration issue, questionable volume issue
Plantronics 510 Voyager - works well, NO reregistration
Plantronics discovery 655 - NO reregistration necessary - hower batter life low at 3.5h max
Plantronics 640 - works "beautifully", but needs repaired after switching to phone
*Platronics Pulsar 590A - works, no reregistration issue

*Samsung WEP 150 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
*Samsung WEP 200 - works

Sony HBH 610 - works well, no re-registration/pairing
Sony HBH DS970 stereo - didn't work
Sony HBH IV835 - Works "great", no re-registration/pairing issue
*Sony HBH 608 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
*Sony HBH GV435 - works but re-registration/pairing issue
Sony HBH 662 - "no problems"

*Southwing (Cingulair) SA505 - works

*Tekkion ET2000 - works

List 2

Motorola (Model H700 has an "A" and "B" version with different pairing procedures. Here's the link to Motorola FAQ to help with the issue)

ALERT: Beware of FAKE Motorola BT headsets! The fakes have a lot of problems. Think yours is counterfeit? Check the .pdf (thanks Amazon.com): Link: Motorola Counterfeit I.D. Guidebook

* HS850 v.1.2 (14) paired at restart (1) O.K.
* HS830 v.1.2 (1) paired at restart
* HS820 v.1.2 (5) paired at restart
* HS815 v.1.1 (2) O.K.
* HS810 v.1.1 (1) O.K.
* HT820 v.1.2 (3) paired at restart (1) just not working (1) O.K.
* H700 (see note above) v.1.2 (10) paired at restart (10) O.K.
* H670 v.1.2 (1) O.K.
* H605 v.1.2 (1) O.K.
* H500 v.1.2 (33) O.K. (5) paired at restart
* H350 v.2.0 (16) O.K. (3) paired at restart
* H300 v.1.2 (9) O.K. (1) paired at restart

Jabra

* JX-10 v.1.2 (1) O.K.
* BT125 v.2.0 (19) O.K. (1) paired at restart
* BT135 v.2.0 (2) O.K.
* BT150 v.1.2 (2) O.K.
* BT160 v.1.2 (1) O.K. (1) paired at restart
* BT200 v.1.1 (1) paired at restart
* BT250 v.1.1 (5) paired at restart (1) O.K.
* BT350 v.1.2 (2) paired at restart (1) O.K.
* BT500 v.1.2 (2) paired at restart
* BT600 v.1.2 (1) O.K.
* BT800 v.1.2 (1) paired at restart

Sony-Ericsson

* HBH-602 v.1.1 (1) O.K.
* HBH-608 v.2.0 (2) paired at restart
* HBH-610 v.2.0 (3) O.K.
* HBH-GV435 v.2.0 (3) paired at restart (1) OK

Plantronics

* Discovery 655 v.1.2 (2) O.K.
* Discovery 640 v.1.2 (1) O.K.
* Explorer 320 v.1.2 (16) O.K.
* Pulsar 590A v.2.0 (2) O.K.
* Pulsar 590E (1) OK
* Voyager 510 v.1.2 (3) O.K.

Southwing (Cingular)

* SA505 v.2.0 (1) O.K.

Cardo

* Scala 500 v.1.2 (2) O.K.
* Scala 700 v.2.0 (1) O.K.

Encore Electronics

* ENBTHS-011 v.1.2 (1) O.K.

LG

* HBM 300 v.1.2 (2) O.K.

Tekkeon

* ET2000 v.1.2 (1) O.K.

Samsung

* WEP150 v.1.2 (1) paired each restart
* WEP200 v.2.0 (3) O.K.

Nokia

* BH-200 v.2.0 (2) O.K.
* BH-900 v.2.0 (1) O.K.
* HS-26W v.2.0 (1) O.K.

Wi-Gear Inc.

* iMuffs MB210 v.2.0 (1) O.K.

VXI

* BlueParrot B150TK v.1.2 (1) O.K.

Bluesonic

* HCB31 v.1.2 (1) O.K.

Fellowes/Body Glove

* EarGlove v.1.2 (1) paired each restart

Anycom

* HS-777 v.1.2 (1) O.K.

Bluetrek

* X2 v.1.2 (1) O.K.

BlueAnt

* X3 Micro v.1.2 (1) O.K.

Know thy headset!

General Info:

*A note on headset passcodes:

* The default passcode is "0000" for new headsets. Refer to your headset's instructions if the passcode is not the default one.

*A note on pairing problems:

* Keeping your PS3 in "standby" (back switch always on) might help cure the problem. Need more feedback to be sure.
* Some headsets have a "pairing mode" that you need to turn on before you can pair it with any device, so check the headset instructions. BE CAREFUL because it's easy to enter "pairing mode" by accident when turning on a mic, and you'll have to re-sync if you do.
* If you use the same headset for your phone and PS3 you may have to re-pair for each use. Some have reported having both a phone and a PS3 paired at the same time with no problems.
* You may have to pair again after charging ANY headset.

*A note on voice chat drops:

* Some users report mics cutting out in game. If the problem is not game related running the setup again can help. Be sure to have the headset instructions handy.

*A note on stereo mics:

* If you have a stereo headset mic (2 speakers) it will only play the voices of the other players. Game sounds and music will still play over your regular speakers.

*A note on PS2 USB mics:

* PS2 USB mics are working with PS3 games.

Game Specific Info:

*Resistance: Fall of Man

* A new patch has changed the voice function. Now press L3 to talk in lobby and in game. If you are in a named squad the mic is still "open", but you must press L3 to talk to people not in your squad.
* There have been many reports of the mics dropping out in-game. Odds are that this is just a typical online game problem, not a hardware issue. If anyone notices anything else about this, please post.

*Call of Duty 3

* There is no voice chat support.

*Blazing Angels

* There is no voice chat support.

*Madden '07 (PS3)

* Voice chat works in-game only. There is no voice chat in the pre/post game lobbies.
* There is a "mute" key built in the controls. L3 will mute your headset. If the screen icon is red then your mute is on and you can't talk. If your icon is green then you're good to go.

*Ridge Racer 7

* Only supports "canned" comments- think macros, or like what was used in Resident Evil: Outbreak

*SOCOM (PS2):

* SOCOM games will not work with your Bluetooth headset. You can still use your USB mic for SOCOM games, as well as PS3 games with voice chat support.

Big thanks to Jogon who originally posted the article.

choose your poison

I'd seriously think about buying a pair if I could get audio comms to work

Socom Logitech jobbie for me, got mine for £5 inc :smashin:

What do you mean by "full sound" exactly? The one I use (see below) doesn't have the game sounds , music, etc, coming through the headset. You can only hear people's voices through it and use it to speak to them. The game's sounds come through my surround sound kit as per normal. Is that what you meant?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=384683&category_oid=
I did mate, I made a mistake because of what they looked like, the lesson for today is never judge a book by its cover.;) As they only have voice and speak functions they seem very expencive could by a pretty good B-Tooth head set for that, I am going to just by a cheapO one and see how I go, thanks for the help guys.:smashin:

I GOT A BLUETOOTH HEADSET AMAZING QUALITY YOU CAN CHARGE IT BY MINI USB AND THE STANDBY TIME IS SOMETHING LIKE 1500 HOURS its so small aswell a proper quality headset compared to the jabra one i had nothing but problems with it i got mine from
www.fonem8.com they have an ebay shop aswell
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluespoon-Blu...Z008QQcategoryZ147177QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
its called an ax2 like i say proper good unit no problems and ya hardly feel its there unlike the jabra one i had which felt like i had a tusk growing out of my ear

i hope this is of some help:hiya:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
hello there
i got a usb headset for my ps3 and on badcompany there a chat problems and ive not used it on any other games, are they just plug n play or have i got to change some settings on the ps3???

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom