Wireless booster for use with PS3

dts197

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm using a wirless router for the PS3 and it was easy getting online at first but haven't been able to get online since yeterday morning as it hasn't been finding the access point. Wirless is downstairs & PS3 upstairs.

So I'm wanting to buy a booster but are they any good? And can anyone make any recommendations for decent boosters or are they all about the same? Thanks.

I dont use a booster (my netgear has a range of 2km's) If you look on ebay there are many boosters available, i think the Linksys version is the best bet. Although you could buy a wifi aerial but this will give you a range of 5km's so i dont think you want that much reception!!!!

I had the same problem as you with the ps3 not detecting an access point. I didn't get a booster but i got this and it works a treat. I have had no connection problems now. Lovely bit of kit :)

I had the same problem as you with the ps3 not detecting an access point. I didn't get a booster but i got this and it works a treat. I have had no connection problems now. Lovely bit of kit :)

Does it matter what kind of wireless router you use it with? The router we have is a New Link A (some kind of non branded router).

Does it matter what kind of wireless router you use it with? The router we have is a New Link A (some kind of non branded router).

it shouldn't matter all it is a wireless adapter (like a usb one) but instead, you plug your ps3 into it via the ethernet cable, and in the network settings in the ps3, you select wired. thats all there is to it.

can anyone one tell me what the percentage is on the reception with the gaming bridge. At the the moment I am receiving 75% with the built in wifi would the gaming bridge increase this any or am I expecting to much. Would appreciate any insight on the matter

can anyone one tell me what the percentage is on the reception with the gaming bridge. At the the moment I am receiving 75% with the built in wifi would the gaming bridge increase this any or am I expecting to much. Would appreciate any insight on the matter

it isn't possible to tell, coz the ps3 is set to wired, but i would say yeah it would increase it, as the ps3 one it pretty crap, i was getting 40% with the ps3 (when it connect, and i was lucky if it did), but with the gaming adapter, it is always connected, its never had an error or dropped the wireless connection.

To be honest, 75% signal is perfect, you really arent going to lose any speed on that, the thresholds are pushed when below 20%. The typical wireless router in a home is on Wireless G, (54mbps-100mbps) Theoretically you're only going to need a minimum of 1mbit data transfer for downloading and gaming online through the ps3

thanks for that dave and shaun I think Ill hold off for the a wee bit. I actually have the same gaming bridge on my 360 and it works great but thats in another room and its hard to strip down and test it before buying another one.

Must be hit and miss as I get a signal of 100% from my netgear and its sat about ten feet away from the PS3. Still use wired though!

I get 97% and that is on the BeBox (Thomson 780) which is not exactly known for its good wireless capabilities! And its about 13' away?

Shaz

I get 97% and that is on the BeBox (Thomson 780) which is not exactly known for its good wireless capabilities! And its about 13' away?

Shaz

lucky for you, due to my fragile connection i have to put the router into the master socket. which when trying to get the ps3 to connect wirelessly is a good 25' away, so i needed a gaming bridge. :)

Hehe, well it started off when wifi was just starting to come out into the market, i read on several sites about boosting signals creating a simple antenna out of a pringles can etc, then i went on to understand about frequency modulation.... you know the geeky stuff, coils, a high density transistor in place, I now use an antenna hooked up outside on the shed roof which lol heres the funny part, its constructed out of an old telescope:D Overall the antenna cost me around 10 quid!!! But i would never go back to a wireless booster as theyre too expensive, check out google for some DIY Wifi aerials:smashin:

Has anybody else got any ideas on how to boost the wi-fi signal to the PS3?

I bought the Belkin gaming adapter as described near the top of this thread but it hasn't done anything at all to improve things. Something can't be right but I've spent nearly 3 hours wasting my time ringing technical support so need to try something else.

RFOM is brilliant for online play but not when ur wireless keeps losing the connection!

HI i have a [SIZE=-1]Philips SNK5620 54mb Wireless ADSL Router + USB[/SIZE]
and have tried allowing my friend next door to use my connection for his ps3 . the signal is weak so he bought the belkin wireless G. gaming adaptor from PC world aswell after several sits we read recommended it for ps3 use , after many failed attempts and getting this to connect in any form to my router ( auto configured to somebody bt open zone every time ) we gave up and I set up a old PC for him to plug his ps3 into ethernal and the PC is running a low wireless network via my router stable but only 1.0mb .
so I would be grateful if anybody could help in anyway about how to connect the belkin properly or recommend a simple plug and play antenna for the ps3 wich will pull in my signal better for him its own wireless card just picks my router up at 2-12% depending on where he's located his ps3

I would forget wireless and use a pair of homeplugs if i were you. Been using them for over a year now with no problems whatsoever.

Another :thumbsup: for Homeplugs!

i have a problem, my parents dont like me on the ps3 online because apperently im constantly on it, but i really want to but my ps3 wont connect from upstairs. is there any wifi boosters that can be connected to the ps3 itself instead of the router.. help would be much apreciated, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom