Cinavia DRM on PS3s (and other Blu-Ray players)

DJSigma

Ex Member
Reaction score
Blu-ray Disc players read Cinavia codes from the audio track of video that they are playing or copying and may limit the use of the video when certain unauthorized uses are identified. Playback or copying of unauthorized copies may be stopped or audio may be muted, depending on which Cinavia code is found and what operation is being performed. This may include limiting the unauthorized use of the audio tracks that accompany professionally produced videos in home movies and other personal recordings. Whenever the use of content is limited due to a Cinavia code, an explanatory message is provided on the video screen or on the front panel of the Blu-ray Disc player.
More info on this here: -

Cinavia Technology

It only affects Blu-Ray players at the moment, which includes the PS3.

The recent DVD screener of LOSERS has this protection. It is hidden in the audio track.

Its a good idea and works. You can try playing a divx file, or then convert it to DVD and it still stops playing on a PS3.

I think this is what the main reason for the last PS3 update is all about.

And YES the protection still kicks in if your streaming to your PS3.

Not sure yet, I think at the moment they are using on screeners to stop the good quality pirates being sold.

But as it only affects BD players at the moment, it will be no major impact.

Added in System Update 3.10, as they added it to the User Manual/Guide, as a notice...right at the bottom..lol:

PS3™ | Copyright and trademark notices

Doesn't work on pc's, or anything else, just Blu-ray players, and the ps3.

Last edited:
I think Sony are starting to push back Piracy now.

The PS3 still remains unhackable, and now your not going to be able to play pirated material on it.

Sony 1 - 0 Piracey

Can anyone confirm that this protection is active on other Sony BD players with up to date FW ?

So this is actually included in the released Xvid or whatever, and stops it being played on any system that has this protection ? It seems it's limited to "Line audio" only files...?

Do you not think "they'll" just find a way of getting round it ?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that this protection is active on other Sony BD players with up to date FW ?

It's not just Sony Blu-ray players, it's going to be all of them, as Cinavia, is part of the AACS agreement now, it's mandatory, on all players, so if its not there now, expect it soon.

media centres/streamers, like the popcorn hour, and WD ones, aren't affected, neither are pc's, dvd players, or any other avenue.

So this is actually included in the released Xvid or whatever, and stops it being played on any system that has this protection ? It seems it's limited to "Line audio" only files...?

Do you not think "they'll" just find a way of getting round it ?

I tried Chrome, and got the same warning as you..:nono: haa, but heres how the system works:

"Movies protected by Cinavia technology carry inaudible codes embedded by the copyright owner in their audio tracks that indicate where and how they are allowed to be used. For example, movies that are being released to theaters can carry a Cinavia code that indicates that they are supposed to be duplicated by professional replicators and played back on professional projection equipment only," reads the official site.

The TS version of "xxxxxxx", which uses "line" audio recorded through a headphone jack, had the watermark, and when added to the camera source, the audio did not match (it was searching for theatrical release) and is therefore muted when played back on Blu-ray players and the PS3, which have Cinavia DRM supported.

With all this DRM, and Big Brother stuff from Blu-ray, I bet there will be plenty of people wishing HD-DVD was still around..:rotfl:

Last edited:
So it's not going to affect x264 sources then, and line audio sources only, well, no big loss. It'll never be able to affect any of the other streamers due to their bespoke firmware that can be loaded on. Be interesting how this one pans out...

bloody hell, and i thought it just happended to me... luckily coming onto this forums has helped.... thought something was wrong with the PS3...

is there anyway round this?

Shouldn't that be Sony 1 - Consumers 0? :)

It will be if it stops you ripping your own media!

So will this stop you ripping a copy of a movie your have legitimately purchased and streaming it?

I think Sony are starting to push back Piracy now.

The PS3 still remains unhackable, and now your not going to be able to play pirated material on it.

Sony 1 - 0 Piracey

bloody hell, and i thought it just happended to me... luckily coming onto this forums has helped.... thought something was wrong with the PS3...

is there anyway round this?

Use a different source.

Or a 360 and PS3 Media Server (I think you need Windows 7 as well...going to play today)! :rotfl:

EDIT:- Works on 360....flaky as hell though!

...wonder how much those popcorn hour things are :)

Use a different source.

Last edited:
I lurrrrrve my Popcorn hour. Its totally no frills but its a very solid and capable player. I have a half decent wired network in my house and it has worked faultlessly since day one streaming from my NAS, netbook, pc etc. I know some people are loathe to buy another box when technically the PS3 or 360 should suffice but.......its so simple to setup and use.

Or a 360 and PS3 Media Server (I think you need Windows 7 as well...going to play today)! :rotfl:

EDIT:- Works on 360....flaky as hell though!

...wonder how much those popcorn hour things are :)

No i meant a source without line audio...

PS3MS is also affected i think.

I personally wouldn't go for a PCH these days, go back a while and they were the best thing out there, but there's so many to choose from these days, WDTV/PlayON HD/Xtreamer/OPlay, i'd go for one of those..

No i meant a source without line audio...

PS3MS is also affected i think.

I personally wouldn't go for a PCH these days, go back a while and they were the best thing out there, but there's so many to choose from these days, WDTV/PlayON HD/Xtreamer/OPlay, i'd go for one of those..

Tis a good point. Mine is 18months old now. I have no idea what the competition offer in comparison.

with that sort of topic,could go anywhere so please dont blaim me.I am not trying to promote piracy by any means,just sharing my ps3 owner experience:(

ist this affecting me today in my console usage:confused:
well not yet:thumbsup:

I have tried following playbacks

my own DVDs bought on the high street in the UK until 2007 ripped either on the internal HDD or an external one>>>>>it works fine:D

Some Divx or mp4 movies I got from "friends" latest ones dated 2009 and palyed from external HDD>>>>it works:D

copy DVDs bought in Shanghai where I live now,latest ones from movies currently in theaters:rolleyes:>>>>>it works:D

some yanks on afterdawn are claiming this DRM has already affected them, well me not so either the chinese are so clever that they found a work around already or I am missing the point of which category of content,and conditions of playback, this new DRM will actually trouble from now:nono:

feel free to educate me:lesson:if mods dont mind:rolleyes:

Its on 2 particular releases only so far Nolive.

One is a TS release and one is a DVDscreener.

What IS for sure is that we will see this type of encoding again, soon.

thanks,i am getting more and more clear on that one...bit naughty if you want my opinion if that affects your home made rips from legally bought DVDs or Blurays:mad:

I am sure that will help SONY to sell more consoles and go back to profitability:rotfl:

anyway, will go to my 2 or 3 fav DVD shops in Shanghai to see if a DVD copy of Wolfman or the Losers,both movies involved, are indeed not playable on my console:suicide:

will report back next week:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Que : a wave of new ripping software coming out in the next few months that allows you to bypass this.

both the wolfman and the llosers arrived in my fav DVD shop, just came back home and tried them both,they work perfectly fine:rolleyes:

either the chinese managed to bypass this DRM very quickly or the panic some dudes in the us:rolleyes:created few weeks ago is Bu****it:D

The X264 blu ray releases (The Losers) now fail after 30 minutes of play too as a result of Cinavia...:-(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom